PDA

View Full Version : Squeaking front brakes

ace33joe
08-12-2004, 01:43 AM
Hi, all.

About 6 months ago, I found both front brakes are squeaking a lot when I press the brake pedal when stopped. (Not when I am slowing down)

I took my evo to a dealer, and they said my brake pads are rubbing calipers. First, they said they needed to change the caliper, but they ended up just grinding off some parts of my brake pads, and it was ok until today.

When I fully stopped at the parking lot this afternoon, and I felt something strange about the brake pedal, so I kinda pumped my brake pedal when it's fully stopped. Then there was huge squeaking sound from passenger's side front brake. :shock:

Here is the problem. My evo is more than 1 year old already, and I guess brake pads are covered by 1 year/12,000 miles warranty.

I am sure this noise came back because they didn't replace my brake pads or calipers, so I guess I should insist they should fix this again under warranty, because this problem was reported when I had 1 year/12,000 miles warranty, and it was not fully fixed by them.

I haven't called the dealer yet, because I found it this late afternoon, but I would like to hear some advice or some similar experiences.

Thanks.

kataklyzm
08-12-2004, 09:34 AM
if its a pad problem i'd just get aftermarket ones...if you got warranty pads, you'd just be replacing crap with more crap

EvolvedDSM
08-12-2004, 09:42 AM
Since you brought it in and it was documented before the 1-year mark, you should be fine. A reputable dealer would acknowledge that the problem wasn't fixed the first time and should cover it without question. Although, if you're sitting still and your getting noise from the brakes, I think it may be something other than the pad itself and would be covered under the 3-year portion of your warranty.

EvoVIII
08-12-2004, 09:50 AM
yeah just bring it back to thee dealer, if you need help I can go with u and give them more pressure :)

MarkSAE
08-12-2004, 11:56 AM
I thought it was normal for our pads to squeak a little. I get the squeak every once in a while when I'm coasting slowly to a stop. It usually happens from 10mph - 0 mph.

ace33joe
08-12-2004, 12:24 PM
Thanks for your advice, guys!

ace33joe
08-12-2004, 12:29 PM
I thought it was normal for our pads to squeak a little. I get the squeak every once in a while when I'm coasting slowly to a stop. It usually happens from 10mph - 0 mph.

It's not squeaking when the car is slowing down in my case.
Did you try to pump the brake pedal when the car is fully stopped?

Mine made unbearable squeaking noise, because the pad was rubbing the caliper. :(

MarkSAE
08-12-2004, 01:01 PM
My noise goes away when I step on the brake pedal harder. It only happens at light pedal pressure.

ace33joe
08-12-2004, 03:05 PM
My noise goes away when I step on the brake pedal harder. It only happens at light pedal pressure.

I guess that noise may be from between pads and disks.
I heard Evo brake pads are noisier than other cars. If it's my case, I would just ignore it, but mine is from pads and calipers, which is not normal, I guess. :(

Evo8andahalf
08-12-2004, 08:07 PM
i experienced squeaky brakes but not when at a complete stop, like marksae i used to get a squeak when coming to a slow stop but then i braked hard a couple times and now im yet to hear any squeak at all