PDA

View Full Version : I received a ticket for no front license plate!

garrick70
08-13-2004, 10:29 PM
Well, I received a ticket for no front license plate yesterday morning. :( The plate was not attached at the time I bought the car, and I just opened up the kit and noticed that I have to drill a hole directly into the bumper. Anyone have some ideas on how to attach the plate without drilling, so that I can remove the plate again after I have the ticket signed? 8)

Evo442
08-13-2004, 10:33 PM
I got caught for that too... dont drive your EVO in Old Sac! ( I noticed you're in Roseville) - come to think of it I've forgotten to get the fix-it ticket fixed! I dont know that it matters until you need to pay your license fees/registration again. I'm planning on wiring the licence to the grill in front of the intercooler just long enough to get signed off!

wilson1
08-13-2004, 11:14 PM
you can use the existing screws to mount the frame, and a small bumper plastic where you are supposed to drill to protect the bumper, and it will stayon !

ob4
08-13-2004, 11:19 PM
Hi garrick,

There are total of 3 screws holding up the license plate frame. The bottom screw required that you drill into the bumper, but you can secure the frame pretty much with just the top 2 screws. As for the bottom part, just make sure that you put some kind of padding on the frame, because you don't want it to scratch your bumper... you can use some furniture pads from home depot.

-ob4

garrick70
08-14-2004, 12:09 AM
Thanks Guys. The officer was pretty cool about it. She told me that if I hurried up and rolled down my windows she would not give me a ticket for the tinting on the front windows :roll:

warpspeed
08-14-2004, 12:21 PM
Thanks Guys. The officer was pretty cool about it. She told me that if I hurried up and rolled down my windows she would not give me a ticket for the tinting on the front windows :roll:
If she was really cool, she should have just gave you a warning. :wink: Anyway, I was at a Starbuck and overheard these 2 CHP officers saying something that if you get a fix it ticket the second time for the same offense that the penalty would be higher. My friend who was a San Mateo Sheriff was telling something about this. They are suppose to put into a database for any fix it ticket you get and if you get ticketed again for the same offense, you can still sign it off but you still have to pay the ticket and it might be more :shock: .

chris
08-14-2004, 02:56 PM
hmm i haven't got ticketed for that. hopefully not. i guess it all depends on the cop.

DRFTR8
08-14-2004, 02:59 PM
you can also use a strong double sided tape to hold your bottom mount down..it will hold in place and if you ever decide to take it off all you need to use is adhesive remover..

BluEvo
08-14-2004, 11:57 PM
mine is mounted in two spots. one directly in front and one on the top right corner. you don't have to mount the third on the bottom. it will stay in place w/o it. imho tho, i would keep it once you do it. it will only open you up to get another ticket from the same cop.

MitsuMan
08-15-2004, 01:04 PM
8) when i bought me evo the bottom screw was missing and I found it inside the car If you look closer you will notice that the thread pitch is coarse and it is very easy to take a screwdriver and push and turn until the screw starts itself and if you get a ticket for a front plate you should laugh as you kick yourself in the ass there is absolutly no reason not to run your front plate with it being located off to the side and all really all cars should be able to run front plates with out any cooling problems and if you care about looks your trippin' cause every car out there has the same thing goin' on so were all in the same boat together personaly I think breaking the law nomater how stupid it is is stupid
but don't get me started on exaust volume that is the most unregulated law there is I mean depending on how much the manufacture pays the D>O>T> determins if you have 2 mufflers no mufflers(srt4) side pipes(roush2) or whatever and we all have to be oem to be leagal but some oem is loud and some are quiet fuck that shit thank you very much :offrant: :evil:

thomas
08-15-2004, 06:12 PM
8) when i bought me evo the bottom screw was missing and I found it inside the car If you look closer you will notice that the thread pitch is coarse and it is very easy to take a screwdriver and push and turn until the screw starts itself and if you get a ticket for a front plate you should laugh as you kick yourself in the ass there is absolutly no reason not to run your front plate with it being located off to the side and all really all cars should be able to run front plates with out any cooling problems and if you care about looks your trippin' cause every car out there has the same thing goin' on so were all in the same boat together personaly I think breaking the law nomater how stupid it is is stupid
but don't get me started on exaust volume that is the most unregulated law there is I mean depending on how much the manufacture pays the D>O>T> determins if you have 2 mufflers no mufflers(srt4) side pipes(roush2) or whatever and we all have to be oem to be leagal but some oem is loud and some are quiet fuck that shit thank you very much :offrant: :evil:

haha, that is prolly the longest single sentence i have read in a loooong time... :peace:

garrick70
08-15-2004, 07:00 PM
mine is mounted in two spots. one directly in front and one on the top right corner. you don't have to mount the third on the bottom. it will stay in place w/o it. imho tho, i would keep it once you do it. it will only open you up to get another ticket from the same cop.

Well I mounted the plate. :( It actually does not look so bad after I got it on. I am going to take BluEvo's advice and just leave it on. The last thing I need is to give the police a reason to pull me over. The next one might ding me for the front window tint, Lic. plate, Exhaust, etc...... :roll: Thanks for the help guys!

DB8GSR
08-15-2004, 08:46 PM
Yah.. got pulled over about 3 weeks ago with no front plates. I was then asked to pop my hood and the rest was history. Had to go to the referee for a smog. Pain in the ass putting the stock parts back in but I'm actually getting used to it. Got my ticket signed off and my aftermarket parts are now back in place with the front license plate as well. Definitely will stay that way for a long time. :twisted: :lol: 8)

garrick70
08-15-2004, 08:58 PM
Yah.. got pulled over about 3 weeks ago with no front plates. I was then asked to pop my hood and the rest was history. Had to go to the referee for a smog. Pain in the ass putting the stock parts back in but I'm actually getting used to it. Got my ticket signed off and my aftermarket parts are now back in place with the front license plate as well. Definitely will stay that way for a long time. :twisted: :lol: 8)

Wow!! :shock: I guess I got off pretty easy with just the fix it ticket for my plate. Did you have any trouble passing smog?!

DB8GSR
08-15-2004, 09:05 PM
Did you have any trouble passing smog?!

Not at all. The readouts were so low beyond average and passed with flying colors. :D

Maldo
08-16-2004, 03:24 PM
I've noticed several people who have placed their front plates in their front windows. Is this legal? Also, how much does it affect your line of sight?

garrick70
08-16-2004, 09:04 PM
I asked the officer that pulled me over if I could just put mine in the front window, and she said that it has to be mounted in clear view on the front of the car. :(

warpspeed
08-16-2004, 10:13 PM
I asked the officer that pulled me over if I could just put mine in the front window, and she said that it has to be mounted in clear view on the front of the car. :(

That is absolutely correct. I keep telling people this and they don't believe me. Also it looks Ghetto if you have the plates on the dashboard.

brwnrice
08-16-2004, 10:18 PM
it is a safety hazard putting the license plate on the dash because of the airbags.

Maldo
08-17-2004, 12:47 AM
Thanks guys, if I ever get my plates I'll re-mount my front frame.

warpspeed
08-17-2004, 04:03 PM
Well if nobody believes me on the plates, here is the Vehicle Code. It's a long read but I just copied the one that is necessary because it also talks about tractors/trucks and so on.

VEHICLE CODE
SECTION 5200-5206

5200. (a) When two license plates are issued by the department for
use upon a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which
they were issued, one in the front and the other in the rear.
(b) When only one license plate is issued for use upon a vehicle,
it shall be attached to the rear thereof, unless the license plate is
issued for use upon a truck tractor, in which case the license plate
shall be displayed in accordance with Section 4850.5.

5201. License plates shall at all times be securely fastened to the
vehicle for which they are issued so as to prevent the plates from
swinging, shall be mounted in a position so as to be clearly visible,
and shall be maintained in a condition so as to be clearly legible.
The rear license plate shall be mounted not less than 12 inches nor
more than 60 inches from the ground, and the front license plate
shall be mounted not more than 60 inches from the ground, except as
follows:
(a) The rear license plate on a tow truck may be mounted on the
left-hand side of the mast assembly at the rear of the cab of the
vehicle, not less than 12 inches nor more than 90 inches from the
ground.
(b) The rear license plate on a tank vehicle hauling hazardous
waste, as defined in Section 25117 of the Health and Safety Code, or
asphalt material may be mounted not less than 12 inches nor more than
90 inches from the ground.
(c) The rear license plate on a truck tractor may be mounted at
the rear of the cab of the vehicle, not less than 12 inches nor more
than 90 inches from the ground.
(d) The rear license plate of a vehicle designed by the
manufacturer for the collection and transportation of garbage,
rubbish, or refuse that is used regularly for the collection and
transportation of that material by any person or governmental entity
employed to collect, transport, and dispose of garbage, rubbish, or
refuse may be mounted not less than 12 inches nor more than 90 inches
from the ground.
(e) The rear license plate on a two-axle livestock trailer may be
mounted 12 inches or more, but not more than 90 inches, from the
ground.
(f) No covering may be used on license plates except as follows:
(1) The installation of a cover over a lawfully parked vehicle to
protect it from the weather and the elements does not constitute a
violation of this subdivision. Any peace officer or other regularly
salaried employee of a public agency designated to enforce laws,
including local ordinances, relating to the parking of vehicles may
temporarily remove so much of the cover as is necessary to inspect
any license plate, tab, or indicia of registration on a vehicle.
(2) The installation of a license plate security cover is not a
violation of this subdivision if the device does not obstruct or
impair the recognition of the license plate information, including,
but not limited to, the issuing state, license plate number, and
registration tabs, and the cover is limited to the area directly over
the top of the registration tabs. No portion of a license plate
security cover shall rest over the license plate number.
(g) No casing, shield, frame, border, or other device that
obstructs or impairs the reading or recognition of a license plate by
a remote emission sensing device, as specified in Sections 44081 and
44081.6 of the Health and Safety Code, shall be installed on, or
affixed to, a vehicle.
(h) (1) It is the Legislature's intent that an accommodation be
made to persons with disabilities and to those persons who regularly
transport persons with disabilities, to allow the removal and
relocation of wheelchair lifts and wheelchair carriers without the
necessity of removing and reattaching the vehicle's rear license
plate. Therefore, it is not a violation of this section if the
reading or recognition of a rear license plate is obstructed or
impaired by a wheelchair lift or wheelchair carrier and all of the
following requirements are met:
(A) The owner of the vehicle has been issued a special
identification license plate pursuant to Section 5007, or the person
using the wheelchair that is carried on the vehicle has been issued a
distinguishing placard under Section 12511.55.
(B) (i) The operator of the vehicle displays a decal, designed and
issued by the department, that contains the license plate number
assigned to the vehicle transporting the wheelchair.
(ii) The decal is displayed on the rear window of the vehicle, in
a location determined by the department, in consultation with the
Department of the California Highway Patrol, so as to be clearly
visible to law enforcement.
(2) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, if a decal is
displayed pursuant to this subdivision, the requirements of this code
that require the illumination of the license plate and the license
plate number do not apply.
(3) The department shall adopt regulations governing the
procedures for accepting and approving applications for decals, and
issuing decals, authorized by this subdivision.
(4) This subdivision does not apply to a front license plate.

toasty
08-17-2004, 04:28 PM
:chatter:

warpspeed
08-17-2004, 04:37 PM
:chatter:
Yup. That's what my friend said also until he got a ticket :wink: What ever happened to that so called petition about it's okay not having a front license plate thing? Anyone knows?

CollinsT
08-19-2004, 02:19 AM
I asked the officer that pulled me over if I could just put mine in the front window, and she said that it has to be mounted in clear view on the front of the car. :(What part of Roseville are you from? I too live in Roseville and I have run both of my cars with out front licence plates for some time.

garrick70
08-19-2004, 07:18 AM
I asked the officer that pulled me over if I could just put mine in the front window, and she said that it has to be mounted in clear view on the front of the car. :(What part of Roseville are you from? I too live in Roseville and I have run both of my cars with out front licence plates for some time.

I live off of Junction and Woodcreek. They had set up a trap the length of Junction from Baseline to Washington Blvd.

Bonta
08-21-2004, 12:18 PM
i also got a ticket for not having a front licensed plate except i got the ticket from a meter maid while my car was parked and i was away. when i went to get my ticket signed off the officer was very kool and he told me he thought my car looked great so i asked about the front license plate. according to him cops are just being anal about it cause people are getting away with running reds and the camera gets the front of the car but no license plate. but he told me most cops that he knows or in the sunset area of san francisco wont care as long as u arent doing anything illegal. and i believe him cause i was running my car without a front license plate for like almost a year before the meter maid got me. sigh 10 bucks down the drain.

Evo8andahalf
08-21-2004, 11:44 PM
ive heard that a passenger actually died from a license plate..the guy had it in his dash and i guess he got into an accident and the plate went flying..not very safe, imo it doesnt even look cool there, just mount it on the front, its cool since we have it mounted on the side so its not that big of a deal

MarkSAE
08-22-2004, 10:16 AM
One of my friends got a ticket on a saturday night at 12am for not having a front plate. His car was parked! This was in the sunset area of SF. I didn't know meter maids worked overtime :!:

garrick70
08-22-2004, 11:09 AM
ive heard that a passenger actually died from a license plate..the guy had it in his dash and i guess he got into an accident and the plate went flying..not very safe, imo it doesnt even look cool there, just mount it on the front, its cool since we have it mounted on the side so its not that big of a deal

I have grown accustomed to having the plate on now that I have mounted it. I was origionally planning on removing the plate again after the ticket was cleared, but now I have decided to just leave it on. It does not look bad, and I don't need the potential headaches from being pulled over again. ie: "Can I please have you open your hood." :shock:

Evo Enthusiast
08-30-2004, 02:14 PM
Take the plate off Garrick.. that will be our next mod.. prior to Stage1+... ;)

PS - thanks for the help yesterday with the bushing kit(s).

AND ORDER THAT UK EMBLEM !!!!