PDA

View Full Version : Stalling out..why is it bad?

dl_EVO
06-25-2007, 09:04 PM
I'm sorry if this is a really newbie type of question but for years nobody can explain this to me in a way that makes any logical sense.

I was wondering if anyone can explain to me why stalling out in a manual transmission car is bad.

I've been hearing that it's bad for the car since forever..

I THINK I understand how a clutch works..

What the hell makes it so bad?

So let me paint a scenario and please tell me how it's bad.

I know that the engine is constantly spinning even if the wheels are not. So when the clutch pedal is let up the clutch disc clamps onto the flywheell, right?. So if you are sitting still and purposely stall out the car by pressing the clutch pedal and letting off quickly w/o pressing the gas. The clutch would quickly grab and you would jerk to a hault because of the stalling.

So what makes that different then when you just turn off your car when you are done driving??

What is really so bad about stalling out....? Is it more embarrassing then anything else or is there something about it that harms the car?

atlvalet
06-25-2007, 09:33 PM
Ok. Put on a white t-shirt. Write "crankshaft" on it in big letters with black ink. Then go outside and run at a brick wall as fast as you can.

Now, tell me...how did that feel?

Matz
06-25-2007, 09:44 PM
The clutch is also basically a fuse, if you look at the engine -> drivetrain as a circuit. So if you're not using a super crazy aggressive grabby clutch, won't you technically be okay if you stall?

atlvalet
06-25-2007, 09:56 PM
Ok...probably. Good for things, not likely.

You're still stopping things pretty darn quick. Last time I did it, I heard a nice, metallic "clang."

Matz
06-25-2007, 10:26 PM
Ok...probably. Good for things, not likely.

You're still stopping things pretty darn quick. Last time I did it, I heard a nice, metallic "clang."

Me too. that clang scared the sh** out of me, too.

dl_EVO
06-25-2007, 10:34 PM
Ok. Put on a white t-shirt. Write "crankshaft" on it in big letters with black ink. Then go outside and run at a brick wall as fast as you can.

ummm why don't I throw that brick wall at your face..lol :)

PANGES
06-25-2007, 11:19 PM

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!!

atlvalet
06-26-2007, 06:33 AM

You don't because what I wrote was funny and what you wrote wasn't.

PANGES
06-26-2007, 09:19 AM

He said... "YO MAMA"

FIGHT!!!!!!! :lol:

turbotiger
06-26-2007, 11:02 AM
Take a firecracker, open your palm, light it, stand it on it's end and place it in your palm. It goes pop and no damage to your hand.

Now take another firecracker, light it, this time close your hand around the firecracker in a fist. Pop! That's kinda what happens when you stall your engine.

lncrevoviii
06-26-2007, 11:10 AM

:lol: that was pretty freekin Hillarious and right on point. :lol:

lncrevoviii
06-26-2007, 11:11 AM

He said... "YO MAMA"

FIGHT!!!!!!! :lol:

ahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaha

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT.

Yo mama is so fat that when she drives an evo in 1st gear from a stop, it still feels like its in 5th.

RgistRdShowoffIX
06-26-2007, 11:18 AM
yeah... When you stall your engine the engine stalls because at idle it doesn't provide enough power to move the wheels which are static. The stationary wheels are not moved (if at all) when the clutch is engaged with a drive gear and that transferes back through the drivetrain and into the engine where the engine must also stop. In doing so you stop the engine so quick that something is likely to break (piston, valve, etc.)

the difference is that when turning the engine off with the key the engine rotates to a stop rather than just a sudden halt. Last time I stalled I turned the car back on and it took a while because it stopped mid-compression and made this aweful stutter. >< Like a cold rotary. Scared the bajeezes out of me...

=\ my limited knowledge of cars tells me this much. hope it helps, Darren.

PANGES
06-26-2007, 11:20 AM
lol. Sorry dl_EVO... Your question is going to stay in your head forever, as no one has actually posted a real technical/mechanical answer (which I'm sure is what you're looking for) other than some form of "It's just bad because I said so."

More or less, it's just a matter of 'shocking" the hell out of the engine with vibration. If you stall, everything stops so sudden, you jolt a bunch of vibration through your engine, which can cause things to break alot faster.

edit: Ryan kinda beat me to it... he's gay. lol.

RgistRdShowoffIX
06-26-2007, 11:21 AM
shut up and drink your sandwich

:lol:

mr05evo
06-26-2007, 11:22 AM
Your putting a big shock load on the driveshaft, the pinion and ring, as well as the transfer case. Put it this way the engine is rotating and all of sudden you stop the rotation with this happening your putting putting a shock force on the u joints, the pinon to the ring gear, and chain on the transfer case as well. I am sure there are other parts that is putting a shock force on the components. How ever it's not putting huge force of shock on the driveshaft as well as the other compnents. When you lauch a car that'll do some drivetrain shock. Hopefully this information is what you wanted.

RgistRdShowoffIX
06-26-2007, 11:24 AM
^ i like his explanation better than mine

PANGES
06-26-2007, 11:27 AM

Shut up and eat shit! :lol:

FIGHT!!! :D

RgistRdShowoffIX
06-26-2007, 11:28 AM

PANGES
06-26-2007, 11:29 AM

Next meet, we should bring boxing gloves and just start having a royal rumble at the starbucks parking lot. :lol:

TogueMonster
06-26-2007, 11:30 AM

Shut up and eat shit! :lol:

FIGHT!!! :D

RgistRdShowoffIX
06-26-2007, 11:34 AM

Next meet, we should bring boxing gloves and just start having a royal rumble at the starbucks parking lot. :lol:

:lol: sounds like a plan. You versus Rob first tho. ;)

PANGES
06-26-2007, 11:36 AM

Naw man... did I say royal rumble? I meant Battle Royal!! lol. Free for all. Or we can team up by colors. However, the GG owners will get to ducttape rolls of quarters to their gloves since they're already handicapped by the curse.

mr05evo
06-26-2007, 11:38 AM

Naw man... did I say royal rumble? I meant Battle Royal!! lol. Free for all. Or we can team up by colors. However, the GG owners will get to ducttape rolls of quarters to their gloves since they're already handicapped by the curse.

Crazy :lol:

RgistRdShowoffIX
06-26-2007, 11:39 AM
PSH! I'm the only WW that shows up usually!!

PANGES
06-26-2007, 11:41 AM

lol. Sucks for you! There's usually a shitload of GG's. :lol:

dl_EVO
06-26-2007, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the replies...

My GF moves the car every other day and kills it maybe once a week...hmmmm should I be worried?

When she kills it they are usually hard stalls at very very low speed though.

I'm at work when the car is usually moved because of street cleaning. Damn SF.

dl_EVO
06-26-2007, 11:42 AM
Where is this starbucks meet? Gellert?

I drove by there last Saturday, dude there was like 1,000 Camaro's and Hyphy kids.

PANGES
06-26-2007, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the replies...

My GF moves the car every other day and kills it maybe once a week...hmmmm should I be worried?

When she kills it they are usually hard stalls at very very low speed though.

I'm at work when the car is usually moved because of street cleaning. Damn SF.

Shouldn't be TOO bad... just tell her to slip the clutch more when she drives. Then when the clutch goes out, make her pay for half of it. :lol:

RgistRdShowoffIX
06-26-2007, 11:44 AM
That sucks... =\ You should teacher her soft stalls.

for some reason...when I stall it sounds like I turned the car off normally. :?

Gellert Meets are on Fridays. Never been there on Saturday. :shock: no pictures of the hyphy kids? hahaha

PANGES
06-26-2007, 11:44 AM
Where is this starbucks meet? Gellert?

I drove by there last Saturday, dude there was like 1,000 Camaro's and Hyphy kids.

Alot of times it's at Gellert Starbucks on Friday nights. If you check the DCMP thread in the Meets & Events section, you can see where they meet up. They switch around locations every now and then. I think this Friday, everyone is meeting up at In n Out in Millbrae and cruising to Milpitas.

PANGES
06-26-2007, 11:45 AM

But Ryan, you've had your car for a really really long time... why are you even stalling? :lol:

dl_EVO
06-26-2007, 11:46 AM
i use to go there with my friends but we were going to the runs..

Starbucks at Gellert is hot...

they usually tell you to go home at 12am too..

dl_EVO
06-26-2007, 11:47 AM
is it just me or the cars that show up to the runs are pretty lame for the most part.

Going to the runs is pretty lame, but when I was younger and use to go. I swear that the cars were way sicker then the cars now.

RgistRdShowoffIX
06-26-2007, 11:47 AM
oh yeah i forgot about that. :? i won't be able to make it out this week... I have a family emergency to attend to...

But Ryan, you've had your car for a really really long time... why are you even stalling? :lol:

Random times.... I usually stall when i'm talking to someone or if i'm really tired... haha i can't multitask while driving i guess. :? It happens at the most random times..

PANGES
06-26-2007, 11:48 AM
i use to go there with my friends but we were going to the runs..

Starbucks at Gellert is hot...

they usually tell you to go home at 12am too..

I dont go there much anymore, but they used to shut off all the lights at exactly 12:57am.

dl_EVO
06-26-2007, 11:49 AM
is it 1am or 12am..one of them...

I just remember the DC police coming around over the PA "go home kids" "lights out"

PANGES
06-26-2007, 11:49 AM
oh yeah i forgot about that. :? i won't be able to make it out this week... I have a family emergency to attend to...

Random times.... I usually stall when i'm talking to someone or if i'm really tired... haha i can't multitask while driving i guess. :? It happens at the most random times..

You should decide wether you'd rather drive stick and ride alone, or talk to someone and drive automatic. :D

dl_EVO
06-26-2007, 11:50 AM
Ryan, my GF doesn't know how to soft stall yet. That comes with experience, like if I start stalling I can usually save it in time..

she will just stall and you hear a CLUNK...it's like :(

dl_EVO
06-26-2007, 11:51 AM
there is probably nothing worse then seeing someone in a nice car stall out..

Ryan don't be that guy :(

PANGES
06-26-2007, 11:52 AM
there is probably nothing worse then seeing someone in a nice car stall out..

I dunno... I find it pretty amusing watching guys stall in their Porches and M3's... :lol:

I'm an ass... sorry. :(

mr05evo
06-26-2007, 11:53 AM

It's cool I have WW. I got your back :lol:

PANGES
06-26-2007, 11:54 AM

20 GG owners > 2 WW owners. :lol:

mr05evo
06-26-2007, 11:55 AM

20 GG owners > 2 WW owners. :lol:

2 man army ha ha :lol:

dl_EVO
06-26-2007, 11:58 AM
<-- WW

3 AGAINST 20..

In memory of Chris Benoit I'll do a flying head butt off of your car PANGES.

PANGES
06-26-2007, 11:59 AM
<-- WW

3 AGAINST 20..

In memory of Chris Benoit I'll do a flying head butt off of your car PANGES.

Coo. When you land flat on your face on the floor, I'll strap on a cripplers crossface for you. :lol:

dl_EVO
06-26-2007, 12:01 PM
Dang,

I haven't watched wrestling in a long time but Chris Benoit was my second favorite technical wrestler behind Bret Hart.

I remember I tried to put the sharpshooter on my GF..she didn't like that very much LOL! :D

PANGES
06-26-2007, 12:03 PM
Dang,

I haven't watched wrestling in a long time but Chris Benoit was my second favorite technical wrestler behind Bret Hart.

I remember I tried to put the sharpshooter on my GF..she didn't like that very much LOL! :D

This one time me and my friends went camping, I put my friend in a sharpshooter at 3 am while he was sleeping. He didn't appreciate it very much either. hahah. I doubt he wanted the other 5 people punching the shit out of him while he was in the sharpshooter as well (It was his birthday).

dl_EVO
06-26-2007, 12:05 PM
LOL! Dude I just noticed your avatar..

that shit is funny as fuck...lol

PANGES
06-26-2007, 12:07 PM
lol. Yeah. I was dieing when I saw it.

SilverStreak
06-26-2007, 12:07 PM
This one time me and my friends went camping, I put my friend in a sharpshooter at 3 am while he was sleeping. He didn't appreciate it very much either. hahah. I doubt he wanted the other 5 people punching the shit out of him while he was in the sharpshooter as well (It was his birthday).

When were practicing on mats in my martial arts classes I used to lock other students in the crossface, figure 4 leglock, sharpshooter and the worst of all the Angle lock. Â*Had kids tapping out like crazy.

dl_EVO
06-26-2007, 12:09 PM
the figure 4 doesn't look painful but it really is..tons of pressure on your ankle..

SilverStreak
06-26-2007, 01:40 PM
the figure 4 doesn't look painful but it really is..tons of pressure on your ankle..

it hurts. You use the leg thats bent and use it a "pry bar" against the other leg. Depending on where you place it, you can break a knee, or put lots of pressure on the shins.

Though, as far as practical application is concerned, its not. All you need to do is sit up and smack the other guy in the face. Afterall, his legs are all tied up, and both arms are either being used for leverage or balance.

The ankle lock is one mean motherf*cker though. *taps out at the thought*

dl_EVO
06-26-2007, 05:09 PM
a bad indian burn...instant tap out

PANGES
06-26-2007, 05:41 PM
Atomic weggie = even MORE instant tapout. lol.

mr05evo
06-26-2007, 07:32 PM
Man I hate indian burns.......

jessmanEVO
06-26-2007, 11:20 PM

Thats nothing compared to a tittie twisterÂ* :shock:
After replying i forgot what the whole topic was about. (Usual Panges doing his job of thread jacking :lol: )

RgistRdShowoffIX
06-27-2007, 12:41 AM
:lol: this thread got so offtopic.

Darren: yeah i know. Lately I only stall when I have to demonstrate to the people I teach stick, "Don't do this."

PANGES
06-27-2007, 12:45 AM

Thats nothing compared to a tittie twister :shock:
After replying i forgot what the whole topic was about. (Usual Panges doing his job of thread jacking :lol: )

But at least I helped answer his question before I did!! :D

RgistRdShowoffIX
06-27-2007, 12:49 AM
lol and you were late doing that too..

overdrive
06-27-2007, 03:04 AM
I dunno... I find it pretty amusing watching guys stall in their Porches and M3's... :lol:

I'm an ass... sorry. :(

Not stalling, but here's my story:

The wife and I were on our way to Sunvalley Mall. Pulled up at a traffic light in Pacheco and on the right side was a middle-aged guy (looks like a business man) with an M5 (2002?? 2003?? 2004?? model). Once the light turned green, the wife and I could here the gears grinding as he was shifting. Believe it or not, it was grinding from 1st to 3rd! The same guy did the same shit over on the next two stoplights. I cringed whenever he did it. On the third light, when it turned green I sped up coz I can't take it anymore. Dumb guy.

Anyways, back to the topic... I like doing the figure 4 leg lock whenever I play wrestling with my cousins during my childhood days. The sleeper hold was also a favorite of mine.

dl_EVO
06-27-2007, 11:29 AM
^^ LOL the topic is actually stalling out..

Wrestling moves got started by ummmm...I think PANGES

PANGES
06-27-2007, 11:30 AM
^^ LOL the topic is actually stalling out..

Wrestling moves got started by ummmm...I think PANGES

Who ME???? NOOO!!!! :lol:

RgistRdShowoffIX
06-27-2007, 12:27 PM
aiya... :lol:

PANGES
06-27-2007, 01:51 PM
aiya... :lol:

Stop whoring! lol.

socalredline
07-10-2007, 10:34 AM
LOL @ DL...what a n00b...

RgistRdShowoffIX
07-10-2007, 10:38 AM
:lol: look who's talking (<50 posts).

Shut up, Eugene!

PANGES
07-10-2007, 10:39 AM

lol nah. It was a valid question. Alot of people only say "because it's bad..." but I bet most people that do it dont know exactly what goes on when you stall. Shrugs. It's good to know.

PANGES
07-10-2007, 10:39 AM

Shut up, Eugene!

haha. You're fighting back too late. I already beat you ass!!! :D

RgistRdShowoffIX
07-10-2007, 10:41 AM
I'm busy!!

socalredline
07-10-2007, 10:45 AM

Shut up, Eugene!

lol...its all good, i have more posts than he does on the Redlineforums :D

lol nah. It was a valid question. Alot of people only say "because it's bad..." but I bet most people that do it dont know exactly what goes on when you stall. Shrugs. It's good to know.

no, its still a dumb question. Im gonna flame him from now on....MUAHAHHAAHHAHAA O0

P.S. DL, where have you been man? I havent seen you round the RLF lately...you making this forum your home now?

dl_EVO
07-10-2007, 01:51 PM
it's a valid question jackass!

There is nothing for me really on the RLF...I care about the car but there is no growth..so what is the point?

socalredline
07-10-2007, 01:58 PM
^ true that...only reason i was still there was to hock the rest of my parts. I spend more time on EvoM and SCE reading random threads just to kill time.