PDA

View Full Version : Highest/safe speed you can drop into 1st?

DontRevMe
06-27-2007, 12:16 AM
Im leaving time on the table between cones waiting for boost in 2nd.. How fast can i safely shift into 1st?

thanks
alan

ReSin
06-27-2007, 12:40 AM
Pretty close to 30...but you won't have much left. I only down shift if I get below 2.5k on revs.

Dennis

turbotiger
06-27-2007, 10:23 AM
You really need to be at low revs in 2nd for it to be worth it to shift into first. Have you tried left foot braking while giving the throttle an occasional blip to keep the turbos spinning. Or my favorite, drift it through the turn, that'll keep the revs up.

Evo9R
06-27-2007, 10:24 AM
thats the way :)

chrisw
06-27-2007, 10:51 AM
Im leaving time on the table between cones waiting for boost in 2nd.. How fast can i safely shift into 1st?

thanks
alan

It's not worth downshifting unless it's a really tight hairpin corner or if you have truely screwd the apex.

Remember that shifting will cost you about 3-5 tenths a second, more if you miss a shift.

uhoh_evo
06-27-2007, 11:36 AM
In those lower gears I've noticed if you at about 2.5 and downshift you'll be at 3.5 (roughly) in the lower gear. To get into boost range in first from second you can be as high as about 5.75ish to as low as about 2.5ish. Speed wise, around 20 - 25 mph. But like they said up top, there isn't much gear left. The time it takes to downshift then upshift will hurt you more unless you stay in first throughout first half of turn, hit apex then floor it out, shift on the way to next turn then let off entering the next turn and then downshift and repeat.

I think that made sense. =oT

steevo8
06-27-2007, 11:43 AM
Im wondering if the gsc 40/60 diff would help in a situation like this. As it would make it easier to slide it in?

DontRevMe
06-27-2007, 12:07 PM
from my experience, and its limited... tire spin = time

steevo8
06-27-2007, 12:09 PM
^ so does bogging and waiting for boost....... Hence your post.

uhoh_evo
06-27-2007, 12:13 PM
+1

Tire spin does lose time cuz you not going at speed you want er could be going, but if you could maintain a higher drift speed than when slowing to approach turn at a good speed then you should test both methods taking both into consideration w/ your skill

chrisw
06-27-2007, 01:13 PM
Im wondering if the gsc 40/60 diff would help in a situation like this. As it would make it easier to slide it in?

I think it depends on the EVO to some degree.Â* The '03 and '04 didn't have ACD which makes a difference.Â* The diffs in my EVO are all mechanical, so power is only distributed when the overall torque level changes between the front and rear and side to side.Â* exadurate the slipÂ* angles a little 8) and I keep torque split where I want it when going through a corner.

With the ACD, the torque split is determined by computer and can respond to conditions faster than the mechanical viscous coupling.

tam@xperformance
06-27-2007, 02:35 PM
Even if it were theoretically beneficial, I doubt I could make a smooth enough 2-to-1 heel-toe downshift to make it worthwhile.

uhoh_evo
06-27-2007, 02:56 PM
HaHa. Yea. I tried that on. A few occassions. I never got the hang of the heel-toe thing. Get the concept but performing is another thing for me. Props to those who can.

PANGES
06-27-2007, 03:05 PM
HaHa. Yea. I tried that on. A few occassions. I never got the hang of the heel-toe thing. Get the concept but performing is another thing for me. Props to those who can.

I think it's just one of those things you have to keep trying over and over again till you get it.

Fa-Q
06-27-2007, 03:07 PM

I think it's just one of those things you have to keep trying over and over again till you get it.

My cousin had his brake or gas pedal (can't remember which) modified to make it easier to do.

PANGES
06-27-2007, 03:09 PM

My cousin had his brake or gas pedal (can't remember which) modified to make it easier to do.

What'd he do to it? I used to have a 240sx and I remember people on the forums bending their pedals to make it easier. lol.

Fa-Q
06-27-2007, 03:11 PM

What'd he do to it? I used to have a 240sx and I remember people on the forums bending their pedals to make it easier. lol.

I don't know, i'll have to ask him when i see him. Although some of you probably know him, Kirk @ Works with the EvoIII and TME VI, if you see him just ask.

DontRevMe
06-27-2007, 04:38 PM
^ so does bogging and waiting for boost....... Hence your post.

bogging and waiting for boost are completely separate issues. Im not bogging exiting a corner.

Just thought id ask... No evo's at any of the events ive been to so i pretty much have to pioneer it myself.

tam@xperformance
06-27-2007, 04:44 PM
I can heel-toe just fine in other gears, the 2-1 downshift is such a big change in ratio that I can rarely blip the throttle hard enough to rev-match it correctly. Rolling gently to a stop light, maybe; diving hard into a corner, not so much...

In my 4 years and 100 or so autocrosses I've never found downshifting to 1st gear to be useful, nor have I ever seen Navid or any of the other really fast guys do it.

chrisw
06-27-2007, 05:14 PM
In my 4 years and 100 or so autocrosses I've never found downshifting to 1st gear to be useful, nor have I ever seen Navid or any of the other really fast guys do it.

yeah, that's what it really comes down too. The really fast drivers can maintain the speed and momentum into the corner (I.E maintain proper braking technique) which prevents them from having to downshift.