PDA

View Full Version : Happy 4th, My car is making a knocking noise!!!

hasetak
07-04-2007, 11:21 AM
Ok first off happy 4th to all, now on to more important issues...

Went and played golf this morning everything seemed fine on the way there and on the way home. When I got home my neihbor was out side and wanted to go for a ride so i took him for a spirited ride around a few blacks (about 2 miles). When I got home I got out of my car, and it was counting down on the turbo timer, something sounded wiered (like a knock). Poped the hood and everything sounded fine under there, went to the passenger side and everything sounded fine over there. But there is what sounds like a knock coming from the driver side, out of the fender well.

Oil was changed about 200 miles ago and Looks clean on the dip stick (it is alittle over full). Mods are in sig.

Is this something I should be worried about or is it normal and I just never noticed it before?

Thanks

spoolin
07-04-2007, 11:46 AM
Wow, this jsut started happening to me to. Check this for me tho... My weird sound only starts happening after the car is fully warm, and is above 2200 rpms.. below that it doesnt make the noise at all... LEt me know if yours does this too. If yes, i believe it is nothing more than the fan ticking or slightly rubbing up against something. Mine does not do it at idle....

XVeloX
07-04-2007, 11:48 AM
hmmm when you say over full, how over full on oil?

also is it a clicking noise or what? Can you try to be more specific?

And this was @ idle with the car not moving from what it sounds like, correct?

MAB1025
07-04-2007, 11:49 AM
my car does this too. I checked clearance for my dp and everything looks good. It actually started to do it after I changed my clutch.

hasetak
07-04-2007, 11:50 AM
mine is at idle, and seems to go away as the RPM's go up. Â*It is not really loud but it is there.

EDIT: It is more full than I would like to see it, and this might be the problem.

The noise is at an idle, and it is a knock not a click. It almost sounds like a rod knocking. (car only has 9800 miles on it)

MAB1025
07-04-2007, 11:54 AM
Same thing here. I always hear it when I'm at a drive thru and the windows is rolled down. Is it worse when the AC is on?

spoolin
07-04-2007, 11:54 AM
I believe this issue is that pretty much every proactive and knowledgable evo owner is worried about their car developing a rod knock. A lot of ppl, including myself sometimes listen a bit too "hard" for this rod knock. Sometimes we make a sound as a little as a injector clicking or a fan rubbing a believe it to be a rod knock. But i assure, you would be able to feel this in the powerband if this were the case. Also, it would get progressively louder as you climb thru the rpms. I have this click above 2200, but its not audible above four, and the car feels stronger than ever. I hope this is the case for everyone else hearing a similar clicking as well......

XVeloX
07-04-2007, 11:55 AM
Well i don't know about denso's but my RC injectors click really loud. There isnt much by the drivers side that could be clicking, maybe something with the clutch, but that hasnt been a problem?

hasetak
07-04-2007, 11:58 AM
I havn't had clutch problems. I'm going to go start it and see if it went away. if it hasn't I will try get the sound on vidio.

nebolic
07-04-2007, 01:56 PM
throw out bearing.

nebo

whtrice
07-04-2007, 02:48 PM
Try pushing the clutch in and see if it stops knocking or changes tone.... Good point Eddie.

throw out bearing.

nebo

XVeloX
07-04-2007, 07:28 PM
Try pushing the clutch in and see if it stops knocking or changes tone.... Good point Eddie.

throw out bearing.

nebo

ya that's the correct side of teh car. Most of them make noise on decel, but if it is uneven "chatter" noise, then just the throw out bearing most likely.

Stock clutch? How many miles? Usually it's the aftermarket clutches that are noisier...

earlyapex aka jack ass
07-04-2007, 07:42 PM
Most evos make that noise after putting some hard miles on it. Put the clutch in and see if it goes away. :)