PDA

View Full Version : Hows it goin?

twEeker
08-22-2004, 12:47 AM
Well, I've been trying to get on here for a while now, and finally after all the problems with...Well what ever was wrong, I finally got here thanks to jansolo. Anyways, I got my apex silver evo about 2 months ago, just got up to 2,000 miles on it. I Love that thing.....LOVE IT... I used to drive a stock white 92 civic hatch back, but it had only 18,000 miles on it when I bought it in 2002. 10 years old, 18,000 miles. All stock, all clean. NObody ever believes me, but it's true. Started saving up for a evo around christmas time, was the cheapest person you ever met for about 6 months, and finally saved up 8k down payment. GOt it from veracom in san mateo, so if you ever see a silver evo with veracom plates in sunnyvale, it's probably me....Well, right now my evo is "sick". I just installed an injen intake w/intercooler hardpipe, and it's not liking it I guess. I probably messed up the install, but I'm sure everything will work out fine,.... Just pulled the codes, so I'm on my way to a solution. Anyways, I'm not here to talk about my problems just yet, just here to introduce myself. I'm chris, I'm 19, and yes, I'm paying off my own evo. I'm in financial ass for the next 6 years, but I don't have anything else to buy. Food and water you say? Just luxarys, evo is priority. Sorry for the long post. When Im up late at night I tend to drag on and on.

JanSolo
08-22-2004, 01:40 AM
See? I told you I fixed it. ;)

Getting a new intake is an iffy thing on the Evo. Unless you've got a good tune specfically geared for it, you could run into problems (losing low end torque for instance). Good luck on finding a solution to your Evo's problems and I am glad to see you're finally onboard.

BluEvo
08-22-2004, 11:28 AM
welcome to the club man! hope u get everything worked out on your ride.

EVO GRIM
08-22-2004, 01:11 PM
Welcome bro! I hate to sound like Tam but the cheapest thing to mod is the driver.

wilson1
08-22-2004, 01:56 PM
Welcome bro! I hate to sound like Tam but the cheapest thing to mod is the driver.

:lol:

twEeker
08-22-2004, 04:37 PM
Well, I've looked into high performance driving schools, and they aren't that cheap. I plan on going to one anyways though, once I get the money. But it's true. It's mostly about the driver. I will get the most out of my car. I just wanted an intake to here the turbo better is all, then I figured why not pick up some hp if I'm going to go through the trouble of buying an aftermarket part.

EVO GRIM
08-22-2004, 08:41 PM
Try scca solo 2 (autocross). No teachers but you can teach yourself. And its pretty cheap. There's one in marina next sunday, come check it out.

twEeker
08-22-2004, 09:32 PM
I wish I could, but I'm not sure I want to go anywhere, since my car is throwing 6 engine codes at me. I'm almost positive it's the maf sensor(if it is it's my fault for screwing with it) It runs fine, but I'm worried I might mess it up. Anyways, thanks for the invite, but maybe you could let me know of one in a few weeks or so?

Evo8andahalf
08-22-2004, 11:40 PM
correct me if im wrong guys but isnt it if you change the stock intake tube with an aftermarket that it totally throws off the maf, one of the reasons why i didnt want to mess with it..but otherwise congrats on the car, enjoy it :D

twEeker
08-23-2004, 12:11 AM
Others that have the same intake as mine seem very happy with it. I screwed up my maf before the intake was finished being installed, so the problem I'm having is completely on me, and not the intake. I seems like alot of evos have intakes now, weather it's a drop in filter, or new piping. Havn't heard too many complaints.

SouthernCrane
08-23-2004, 03:02 AM
Welcome to the boards :)

evo_dadi
08-23-2004, 06:48 AM
hey welcome to norcal man :)

tried using in intake before but didnt really feel much about except for the weird idle drop.i just went with a drop in and the RMR intake pipe which worked fine and hadnt had any problems with it.

vtluu
08-23-2004, 08:58 AM
I wish I could, but I'm not sure I want to go anywhere, since my car is throwing 6 engine codes at me. I'm almost positive it's the maf sensor(if it is it's my fault for screwing with it) It runs fine, but I'm worried I might mess it up. Anyways, thanks for the invite, but maybe you could let me know of one in a few weeks or so?
Next event on Sunday is the last event of the season, though this SCCA region also holds a 6-event "slush series" during the "winter" (Sept-Dec). The first Slush event is 9/26 at Golden Gate Fields in Albany (next to Berzerkeley).

More info about SCCA, SF Region autocross at: http://www.sfrscca.org/solo2/