PDA

View Full Version : hks HIpower does not fit!

BUDLoNG
08-22-2004, 08:51 PM
i bought and HKS hipower exhaust from someone on the socalevo.net board. I though everything was cool until i installed it. It droned like crazy at any speed. After a few weeks of headaches from it, i figured i would try to solve it with some kartboy hangars. While i was changing the hangars i found the problem. The resonator on the hks midpipe is about 4 inches to long and it rests against the gas tank heat shield. Thats what was causing the drone.
I put my stock one back on, but im not sure what to do.

First.. Im thinking the exhaust was actuallly for an evo7 not 8. All the hardware fits, and the hangars are in the right place... its just the resonator..its too damn long. can anyone help me out on this one? i would like to sell the exhaust, but im not gonna be an ******* like the guy who sold it to me... if its for an evo 7 im going to sell it as "hks hipower EVO 7 catback". If i cant figure out what model its for my only other choice is to go to a muffler shop and have the resonator removed... but im afraid that will make the catback sound tinny....like a honda
any help is appreciated....
BUDLoNG

evo_dadi
08-22-2004, 09:51 PM
actually w/o the resonator it would be louder but not sure as to how loud compared to a resonated hipower. didnt that exhaust came with a small plate on the muffler part to mount it a tad lower? cause i think on the early models of those exhausts it came with small metal plate.my buddy had one on his evo when they installed the carbon-ti which is about the same with the hipower except the carbon wrap and the ti tip.

BUDLoNG
08-22-2004, 10:17 PM
yep i got the exhaust with two brackets... and they both were install correctly.... i followed this link for directions...http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=41891

evo_dadi
08-22-2004, 10:28 PM
here's another qoute that was on the 2nd page of the thread.

The difference in time to install a USDM or JDM Hi-power exhaust shouldn't be much, probably less than 3 minutes. The extra time for USDM ones is to bolt on the mounting kits (2 metal plates) and then put the bushing on, before hooking up with the exhaust.

so you either ask the guy who sold it to you if he still has it or maybe give hks a call or maybe gruppe-s can get these mounting plates for you.

BUDLoNG
08-22-2004, 10:37 PM
i have the two plates... that is NOT the problem...

the resonator is TOO BIG.... its not the hardware, brackets, or hangars.... it;s the resonator, pure and simple....

if i could find the guy who sold it to me, i would defintly pay him a visit.... but i cannot dig up the post with his email and phone number...
when i do... he WILL be contacted.

evo_dadi
08-22-2004, 10:39 PM
cool...just trying to help :)

BUDLoNG
08-22-2004, 10:47 PM
i totally appreciate everyones help.. sorry i got a little pissy there evo dadi..
seems im destined to get fkd on everything concering my evo...buying it, servicing it, and buying aftermarket parts for it.... and my anger just seemed to flow... i apologize....
BUDLoNG

nebolic
08-23-2004, 06:09 AM
i totally appreciate everyones help.. sorry i got a little pissy there evo dadi..
seems im destined to get fkd on everything concering my evo...buying it, servicing it, and buying aftermarket parts for it.... and my anger just seemed to flow... i apologize....
BUDLoNG

you can check out my HKS hi power this week if you want, i'm gonna be in the BAY area, and you can see if your exhaust is exactly same as mine. I don't hear the drone on mine, and you can test drive my shiznit to see if you hear the drone too.

Nebo

evo_dadi
08-23-2004, 06:44 AM
no probs bud :D

BUDLoNG
08-23-2004, 09:59 AM
i moved back down to socal... i just like this board better :)

nebolic
08-23-2004, 10:15 AM
poop, ah well wish I can help you out, hope you find a fix for your problem.

Nebo

EvoVIII
08-23-2004, 11:01 AM
take it to XS or RRE, think they could help u fix it

WOT
08-23-2004, 12:11 PM
Bud- where in so cal? I know of a fabricator that can modify that exhaust for you to where he will just reposition the silencer. I have plenty of mandrel bent 3" 304 stainless tubing to help you out. I know you wanted an exhaust that fits, not some p.o.s. that you have to modify...

I agree with you assessment of this board, its the most helpful as oppossed to lowballevo.net or evolutionm.net that only wants to complain or snivel about this & that.

BUDLoNG
08-23-2004, 01:59 PM
im in woodland hills

WOT
08-23-2004, 02:05 PM
I know someone in newberry park, who might be able to help you out, he is very flaky, but a good guy with his own shop & is a great tig welder. pm me if you want more details.

BUDLoNG
08-23-2004, 03:05 PM
i might have another midpipe lined up... but if that falls thru, ill pm you about your friend :)
thanks!
BUDLoNG

evo_dadi
08-23-2004, 07:16 PM
socalevo's fine at times but imo too many people that wants to talk all the time and not enough listeners thats why they either end up arguing or bickering.but its a fun site nonetheless :)

BUDLoNG
08-23-2004, 07:31 PM
heres the outcome:
from cat to resonater/resonater/from res to rear section

real hks pipe 21.25" 19.5" 16"
mine 16.5" 20" 22"

its clear what the problem is now...
i got swindled...its probably for an evo7

another member on socal is supposed to sell his midpipe for a reasonable price... hope this turns out for the best..

BUDLoNG

BUDLoNG
08-24-2004, 12:18 PM
spoke with hks... they told me it;s 99% likely an evo 7 exhaust will not fit on an evo 8. He also said the same was true if i tried to use and evo8 midpipe with an evo7 rear section..

my only choice now is to sell it as an evo7 exhaust (i beleive in karma unlike the pos that sold this to me), and hope someone wants it.. otherwise its gonna be hangin on my wall as art...
damn.

EvoVIII
08-24-2004, 12:41 PM
heres the outcome:
from cat to resonater/resonater/from res to rear section

real hks pipe 21.25" 19.5" 16"
mine 16.5" 20" 22"

its clear what the problem is now...
i got swindled...its probably for an evo7

another member on socal is supposed to sell his midpipe for a reasonable price... hope this turns out for the best..

BUDLoNG
how come the Number is other way around?? will it create more power like that and thats the different between JDM and USDM

BUDLoNG
08-24-2004, 12:43 PM
its the other way around because its not for an evo8...

the resonator is to far forward on mine

EvoVIII
08-24-2004, 12:49 PM
i c

Absinthe
08-24-2004, 01:59 PM
its the other way around because its not for an evo8...

the resonator is to far forward on mine

some on e in socal got his carbon TI muffler stolen PM him and see if you can work out the a deal for his resonated pipe.

webguy330i
08-24-2004, 02:20 PM
Just have a shop get you some piping, screw the resonators. ;)

Or buy my buschur TB!

mtsevovii
10-17-2004, 02:35 AM
spoke with hks... they told me it;s 99% likely an evo 7 exhaust will not fit on an evo 8. He also said the same was true if i tried to use and evo8 midpipe with an evo7 rear section..

my only choice now is to sell it as an evo7 exhaust (i beleive in karma unlike the pos that sold this to me), and hope someone wants it.. otherwise its gonna be hangin on my wall as art...
damn.

i have an hks hiper ss thats made for an evo 8 on my 7. works fine just mounts croocked out the back and sticks out abit, but i like the way that looks. hehe. i got my exhaust from gruppe-s, they said that the evo 8 exhaust would be fine with the 7, and sure thing, its fine.