PDA

View Full Version : Car Totalled, do I claim Test Pipe?

Tengoku
07-10-2007, 09:14 AM
So my car is totalled and im going back n forth with the insurance company, its 0% my fault and im trying to get all my money and effort back that I put into the car.

Im going to give the insurance company all my receipts that I have for the things done to the car. But one of the major receipts i have has the "test pipe" listed as one of them. So my question is, is it smart to give them that receipt? I mean they are going to find out that the car doesnt have a cat if they inspect the totalled car.

Bottom question: Am I going to get penalized for having a test pipe installed when my car was totalled? and can I get compensated for the damaged test pipe?

Thanks in advance

Hot8Evo
07-10-2007, 09:31 AM
You can just scratch the test pipe and write return. They wont question that, beside your car got totalled and they dont even know what is test pipe means....

mtsevovii
07-10-2007, 09:38 AM
is your car damaged to the point where you cant put the stock cat back on? and say you have the test pipe for off-road(track) use only?

Tengoku
07-10-2007, 09:56 AM
I wont have any access to my car anymore, its under their possession now

UCB
07-10-2007, 01:19 PM
you should buy it back and part it out

dl_EVO
07-10-2007, 01:34 PM
We live in Commie-fornia..

I wouldn't give them that test pipe receipt.

earlyapex aka jack ass
07-10-2007, 04:16 PM
You want $150 back for a 'illegal' part?

IMHO, mums the word on that. ;)

awdaddict
07-10-2007, 04:32 PM

it is a "non-running" vehicle now though. So it's legal? :P
U had your chance to savage your items, generally you would of have 1 or 2 days to swap parts before the insurance claims it.

Tengoku
07-10-2007, 04:50 PM

well its part of a larger list of parts and installation charges, so its either I give them that receipt and have them compensate me for everything on that list, or not

I was thinking they wouldnt really know what a test pipe was, i mean, it could mean anything right? I didnt know what a test pipe was when I had it installed. my friend chose the mods to put on my car and that was one of them

Matz
07-10-2007, 04:57 PM
you should buy it back and part it out

But is he getting back the full value on the parts? If so, then it also depends on whether or not that wreck has any salvageable value for a 3rd party. It will be interesting to see what the buy back price is... I can't imagine that it's very high -- from what I remember, it was trashed pretty badly.

Tengoku, you should send your pics to EVO GRIM here and see if he's interested. :)

esco
07-10-2007, 08:30 PM
dont mention the test pipe. the report also gets sent to the chp/local police or sheriff's office and dmv for records. Your better off claiming you had some expensive oil in there.......

JDMevoBOOST
07-10-2007, 09:08 PM
As far as I know insurance won't give you anything for mods because you are paying a premium based on the stock vehicle. If you want the mods warrantied you have to get your premium adjust for them. That's why people take the parts off if they wreck and put the stock parts on. I think you are SOL on this one man. I have NEVER heard of ANY insurance company giving you money for stuff you didn't explicitly tell them to insure.

Most companies won't even insure mods if you ask them. They will tell you to get a different policy for the mods.

esco
07-10-2007, 09:33 PM
As far as I know insurance won't give you anything for mods because you are paying a premium based on the stock vehicle. If you want the mods warrantied you have to get your premium adjust for them. That's why people take the parts off if they wreck and put the stock parts on. I think you are SOL on this one man. I have NEVER heard of ANY insurance company giving you money for stuff you didn't explicitly tell them to insure.

Most companies won't even insure mods if you ask them. They will tell you to get a different policy for the mods.

stereo equipment is however a insurance item you can claim, providing you have the recipts.

Tengoku
07-10-2007, 11:12 PM
Doesnt the fact that it was 0% my fault work against that?

esco
07-12-2007, 08:42 AM
Doesnt the fact that it was 0% my fault work against that?

nope. fault is determined by the police, and replacement is through insurance. now you might be able to say you had just bought it and had it in the trunk, or face fines. Thats the only way with recipets that I could imagine it might work.

Tengoku
07-12-2007, 08:51 AM
Anyone know how much the fines are for having a test pipe?

dl_EVO
07-12-2007, 11:37 PM
In 2003 the fine was $1,500..

The fine has gone up by now..