PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga Gap - apparent Speed Enforcement Operation

Turkinator
07-14-2007, 01:49 PM
I was pulled over on North Bound Hwy 9 a mile or two from the intersection with Skyline blvd. I was up driving the twisty turns on a Thursday evening, not even really pushing it. After coming around a sweeping right hand curve, I passed a motorcycle CHP pulling over a CRX, and then a CHP vehicle/sedan coming the other way with lights on following a motorcycle. I thought, "Well, if they're out, I might as well turn back." So, after taking in some scenery at the first vantage point, I turned around to head back down to Saratoga (I live in Campbell).

So, on my way back - going 35 - the motorcycle CHP pulls out behind me as soon as I go by. Once pulled over, he said he had me at 55 mph going the other way. I didn't argue even though he was well away from his radar when I went by, and even though I wasn't doing 55 (45 maybe). I ended up getting a verbal warning for speed and a fix it ticket for my expired insurance card (expired by two days!). During the conversation, though, the officer related that CHP is watching the Saratoga Gap closely after complaints from locals about speeding cars/motorcycles.

In the end, no speeding ticket, but a nuisance paperwork hassle for the insurance card. As he released me, he says "By the way, love the car, always loved these Evos" (mine is RR IX MR)

So - if your a fan of Highway 9 - take it easy between Skyline Blvd and Big Basin park!

Hot8Evo
07-14-2007, 01:57 PM
Eventhough your insurance card has expired its ok because ALL insurance company now need to send a copy of our Insurance to the DMV so, when the cops pull us over they will see on registration record if we have a valid insurance or not.... I carry my insurance card (laminated) and its been expired for a year now..

redevil9mr
07-15-2007, 04:29 PM
Good info there. Usually when the cops check on his computer, he can see on his computer about your insurance info. But you always have to carry your current insurance no matter what. First thing police will ask you when they pull you over is driver license, proof of car insurance, registration.