PDA

View Full Version : tranny issues

phunny
07-15-2007, 08:00 PM
I recentlly started having a grinding sound when shifting from 4th to 5th at around 4000 and higher rpms. Shifting from 1 to 2nd and so on up till the 4th to 5th is perfect no grinding at all, shifting at high rpms. The car is an 05 rs with 58k miles on it and just had the clutch replaced with an ACT. Anyone have any suggestions on what the cause is and where to go to have the problem fixed.

uhoh_evo
07-15-2007, 08:55 PM
Imma guess it's your synchro. But that's all I got for ya

cezber23
07-15-2007, 09:00 PM
probably its your transmission gears??? coz i had that problem to on my 3g eclipse. when i try to shift at 2900rpm sometimes it grinds and i had maybe 27000m on it. coz the reason sometimes is if you lunch hard and missed, that mess it up. i recomend you just to go to a performance shop you know. dont just go to a regular transmission mechanic coz they might just put cheap ass parts.

Full Function
08-01-2007, 03:28 PM
I recentlly started having a grinding sound when shifting from 4th to 5th at around 4000 and higher rpms. Shifting from 1 to 2nd and so on up till the 4th to 5th is perfect no grinding at all, shifting at high rpms. The car is an 05 rs with 58k miles on it and just had the clutch replaced with an ACT. Anyone have any suggestions on what the cause is and where to go to have the problem fixed.

If the shop that installed the clutch used Redline MT90, then that would be the cause. Try switching to the factory fluids or the Royal Purple, the noise should go away. If that doesnt solve the problem, then go to Pete's Gear shop in Hayward, he'll have to tell you from there.

Jerry

UCB
08-01-2007, 04:16 PM
You are saying MT90 causes the very common 5th great synchro grind?

fiaevo.com
08-01-2007, 04:20 PM
Use OE fluids matched to the year of the car.

Full Function
08-01-2007, 04:39 PM
You are saying MT90 causes the very common 5th great synchro grind?

sometimes, yes, but it's not always the case. What's easier to check, changing fluids or pulling the tranny??? ahhaha

Jerry

UCB
08-01-2007, 04:47 PM
Good point :P

Lurk
08-01-2007, 06:14 PM

If the shop that installed the clutch used Redline MT90, then that would be the cause. Try switching to the factory fluids or the Royal Purple, the noise should go away. If that doesnt solve the problem, then go to Pete's Gear shop in Hayward, he'll have to tell you from there.

Jerry

+1. After trying Redline in two different cars and ending up with the same tranny grind issues, I'll never use Redline again. Stick to either OE fluids or Royal Purple Synchromax. The RP actually makes the tranny shift like butter, without any grinding.

BTW, which shop did your clutch?

--anonimuz
08-01-2007, 06:21 PM
same problem I have... I bringin in my car to the dealership this monday they told me they will fix it (after 3 months of waiting for the "parts" that I need)... mine was Evo IX wit 11k miles... they told me its my synchro...

earlyapex aka jack ass
08-01-2007, 07:45 PM
+1. After trying Redline in two different cars and ending up with the same tranny grind issues, I'll never use Redline again. Stick to either OE fluids or Royal Purple Synchromax. The RP actually makes the tranny shift like butter, without any grinding.

Interesting, Redline has been in all my mitsus and works perfect.