PDA

View Full Version : hey ne one know the tint percentage law

mexirican
07-21-2007, 12:57 PM
I wanted to know if anyone knew the percentage law for window tint i wana do both door windows and rear and dont really wana be gettin wanked all day for fix it shit! hit me thanks

warpspeed
07-21-2007, 01:08 PM
You can tint your back windows as dark as you want but you can't tint the drivers' side. It looks dumb when you have everything tinted except the drivers' side but I've seen people do it.

--anonimuz
07-21-2007, 01:12 PM
no tints at all in front.... in the back.. you can go the darkest if you want...

CasperIXse
07-21-2007, 01:20 PM
i believe cali law is 70% in the front actually... but thats basically clear haha

peter
07-21-2007, 01:25 PM
CA law is 35% front any % in the back

smack
07-21-2007, 02:39 PM
i also think these numbers apply to tint laminated into the glass(like from the factory). i don't think you can do any film type tint legally.
but you can just go to a dermatologist and ask for a note saying that you need it to block sun damage to your skin and show the chp that when you get pulled over.

mtsevovii
07-21-2007, 02:43 PM
i also think these numbers apply to tint laminated into the glass(like from the factory). i don't think you can do any film type tint legally.
but you can just go to a dermatologist and ask for a note saying that you need it to block sun damage to your skin and show the chp that when you get pulled over.

maybe thats why those asian ladies wear those bukkake face shields and arm socks :lol:

mexirican
07-21-2007, 02:57 PM
thanks for the info good to know! damn that sucks bout the front windows it looks wierd when it aint all da way around to me

CasperIXse
07-21-2007, 03:44 PM
i just have 33% all the way around but its titanium metal not black dye so it isnt as physically dark. so far no problems in cali

seems to be this is the legal consensus http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/CA/

redevil9mr
07-22-2007, 10:48 AM
Just leave the front windows alone, and tints the back windows as dark as you want to avoid getting fix it tickets all day long unless you are driving like a bmw, lexus, mercedes, etc. :lol:

1SloEvo
07-22-2007, 11:08 AM
Actually, cali's tent law for the front is NOT 35%. Tint on the front is illegal. It's very easy to find this out when you have to rip it off...and a CHP gives you the ticket to do it and makes sure you know the limit for tint is none on the front. If any Air Force members read this and want to know, it's the laws according to what state your car is registered in. My car has 5% on back and 15% on front. I like it a lot. And I have cops flash their spot lights at me all the time when I drive by, then they see my GA license plate and just go on about their business. Even got pulled over by a CHP for my tint. Once she saw my GA registration, so told me to "make sure my california friends aren't running front tint cause she will find them" :shock:

RgistRdShowoffIX
07-22-2007, 11:29 AM
Per Casper's link:

i just have 33% all the way around but its titanium metal not black dye so it isnt as physically dark. so far no problems in cali

seems to be this is the legal consensus http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/CA/

you can't do smack's suggestion:

because the link states:
Medical Exemption State law does NOT allow medical exemptions that would allow you use special tint.

UCLAevoIX
07-22-2007, 11:59 AM
hmmm, not to add to anymore of the confusion, but i believe the front is allowed to aftermarket tint 80% or 85% (somewhere in the 80s) , but that sort of film is really just barely a tint. moevo said that when she did my car.

CasperIXse
07-22-2007, 12:14 PM
yea i think the info in my link is valid... and the out of state registration as well...
i just didnt go as dark as my last car because i didnt want any extra attention or a reason to be pulled in the first place

hasetak
07-22-2007, 12:22 PM
I have 35% on the front sides, 20% on the back sides, and 5% on the back, and I have not bee harrased about it yet (knock on wood) but it is light enough that you can still see through it but dark enough to make a difference.

edit:
35, 20, 5 is the same tint configuration that is on all my roomates cars as well (4 total) 06 Tundra Double cab w/6" lift and oversized wheels and tires, 06 Scion TC stock, 03 Mercedes C-240 stock, and my 06 IX TB with gold wheels

note: I knew this was illeagal when I did it, and am suprised that I have not gotten a ticket for it, but I know people who ride around with 5% all the way around, and have for over a year and havn't gotten harrased about it.

Lurk
07-24-2007, 07:29 AM
You can go as dark as you want on the rear windows. Hell, you can put curtains up if you wanted. VIP Style y0! :lol:

But as for the fronts, I believe the darkest you can legally go is 70%.

All my cars have 15% tint all around and luckily I haven't been bothered by the man about it yet. *knocks on wood*.

evosti
07-27-2007, 04:06 PM
Ya fronts you can't tint, backs go blackout if you wished. I have my fronts and backs tinted, it looks clean. Mostly the cop just wants to be able to see your face ;) I haven't had trouble driving around with my front windows up and I've pulled up next to campbell pd's serg. on duty at the time and didn't get hassled. If you do get tint I got mine done at this place called Mr. Tint off of kiely and steven's creek. Lifetime guarntee :)

BOOSTX2
07-27-2007, 04:50 PM
When I was pulled over by CHP, he told me no film on Front side windows is legal?
huh waa? He also told me my vividracing banner was illegal WTF?
He said Any decal on the windshield is illegal WTF?
I asked him about the saleen,roush,steeda, mustangs that roll off the lot with
banners on the windshield..
He answers back those are see through like a tint(wrong) they are colored
Vinyl decals..
Well needless to say R.I.P. Banner :x :( :x

warpspeed
07-29-2007, 08:21 PM
Actually banners are suppose to be no more than 4" tall from the top of the windshield. Also to answer the tint question........here it is.

http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html

cezber23
08-01-2007, 09:20 PM
i got pulled over 2 weeks ago. the chp said you cannot have any kind of tint films on your front windows.

06MitsuEvoSe
08-12-2007, 03:11 PM
I just got pulled over last week, middle of the day for 35% on the front (which looks pretty damn clear during the day). Now I gotta pull them off...

hasetak
08-12-2007, 03:22 PM
my room mate got puled over last week for 35 on the fronts, and got a ticket, motocycle cop said it was

COP "so motorcycleist could see where he was looking to know whether he saw them or not"

room mate "you can see where im looking through this it isn't that dark"

cop "they need to be able to see your eyes"

room mate was wearing dark ass sun glasses, much darker than the tint. there was no way they were going to see his eye with no tint on that car. LOL dumb ass cops, but on the positive side he already got it signed off with out getting the tint removed.

06MitsuEvoSe
08-14-2007, 04:00 PM
How'd he get that done, know a cop?

Blackout
08-15-2007, 05:10 PM
Legal limit in front is 84% as of January 2007 (was 70%). I got in a debate with a cop at work about this. I have 35% (?) on my fronts and never got a ticket.

Lurk
08-21-2007, 04:54 PM
My friend just got pulled over for 35% all around on his Lexus GS. It doesn't even look that dark. Time to get that doctor's note...

warpspeed
08-21-2007, 10:17 PM
Legal limit in front is 84% as of January 2007 (was 70%). I got in a debate with a cop at work about this. I have 35% (?) on my fronts and never got a ticket.

Can you find this in writing. Because if you can, this would be good to have in the glove box for people who has tinted front windows. Also it is up to the cops mood to pull over someone with full tint. I've seen CHPs passing BMWs and MB that are fully tinted and didn't even stop them. While on the other hand, they would see a lowered import fully tinted and pull them over just like that.