PDA

View Full Version : DMV list of "street legal" modification

chris
01-09-2004, 10:22 AM
i know we all don't care but hey it's good to know what they are looking for lol.

http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/streetlegal.html

vtluu
01-09-2004, 12:08 PM
Actually, you're wrong, I care. I believe that as a whole, laws are there for everyone's safety, pollution and emission controls are there to keep us all from dying prematurely from respiratory disease (not to mention what it does to the environment), and should be followed. I mean, if you really think you should be allowed to do anything you want to improve your car's performance, why not just strap on a couple of rocket boosters and be done with it? :?

The main test for ethical behaviour is to ask oneself, "if everyone did this, where would we be?" If everyone modded their cars the way some of us here <ahem> have, we as a society would be in trouble. Yeah, I'm itching to mod my car too, but I'm gonna go the extra mile and keep it clean and legal.

Call me naive, call me idealistic, but that's me. 8)

chris
01-09-2004, 12:41 PM
well not that kinda stuff but you know the other stuff thats listed hehe... atleast the list is there to guide you =)

vtluu
01-09-2004, 12:51 PM
Fair enough. I'm no angel either. I speed as much as the rest of you; sometimes when I probably shouldn't. :oops: I took off my front plate (granted, that's just because I don't have plates for the time being). Laws and cops aside, I think it's up to each of us to act conscientiously, with consideration for the well-being and safety of others and of ourselves.

Okay, I'll step off the soapbox now. :)

badbad
01-09-2004, 04:47 PM
"Remember - FTBC (failure to be cool) is not a crime!"

:D

thomas
01-09-2004, 07:18 PM
sounds like to me all the "fast and furious" sh!t out here in cali...

Blue and yellow headlights. Headlights must be white - blue and yellow are illegal (24011 VC).
Tail lights other than red (24600 VC).
Illegal brake lights. Brake lights on vehicles newer than 1979 must be red (24603 VC). (Vehicles older than 1979 may be red or yellow.)
Lack of rear reflectors. Two red reflectors are required on the rear of cars and trucks (24607 VC).
Incorrect color of turn signal. It must be white or yellow to the front, red or yellow to the rear (24953 VC).
Red lights to the front. They are illegal except on emergency vehicles (24003 VC).
Tail lights that incorporate a bulb with a red tint or coating. In general, custom tail lights that incorporate a clear outer shell and red inner lens are legal (24011 VC). If they don't incorporate reflectors, they must be added to the vehicle (24607 VC).
Tail lights that are too dim, washed out or show yellow, white or other colors (24600 VC).
Illegal color of side marker lights. If present, must be yellow in the front and red in the rear (25106, 24003 VC).
Illegal decorative lights (24003 VC). All flashing decorative lights are illegal (25250 VC).
Illegal windshield washer nozzle lights. Only white or yellow are allowed. (25106 VC, 24003 VC).

haha, that last one..."illegal windshield washer nozzle light" thats classic.

vtluu
01-09-2004, 07:23 PM
As an Evo owner I would figure it should be easy to stay clear of most of those--I mean, I have a kick-ass car, why go out of my way to make it look like a rice-mobile? :roll:

thomas
01-09-2004, 07:31 PM
As an Evo owner I would figure it should be easy to stay clear of most of those--I mean, I have a kick-ass car, why go out of my way to make it look like a rice-mobile? :roll:

haha, cause i have, do and forever LOVE rice...LOL.

howiEVO8
01-09-2004, 07:33 PM
Actually, you're wrong, I care. I believe that as a whole, laws are there for everyone's safety, pollution and emission controls are there to keep us all from dying prematurely from respiratory disease (not to mention what it does to the environment), and should be followed. I mean, if you really think you should be allowed to do anything you want to improve your car's performance, why not just strap on a couple of rocket boosters and be done with it? :?

The main test for ethical behaviour is to ask oneself, "if everyone did this, where would we be?" If everyone modded their cars the way some of us here <ahem> have, we as a society would be in trouble. Yeah, I'm itching to mod my car too, but I'm gonna go the extra mile and keep it clean and legal.

Call me naive, call me idealistic, but that's me. 8)

with that said and i am assuming tam knows alot more about what's legal and what's not legal as far as evo mods and parts go, i am going to ask him first :) before i do anything to my car hehe

vtluu
01-09-2004, 08:08 PM
i am assuming tam knows alot more about what's legal and what's not legal

I haven't and wouldn't make that claim. I just do my research like anybody should, IMO. With regards to intake/engine/exhaust mods, I suggest checking the CARB (California Air Resources Board) database of approved/exempt aftermarket parts: http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/amquery.php

I'm generally not gonna give anybody a hard time over having an illegal mod (though I may cough loudly to underscore the point :)); just don't expect sympathy from me if you get pulled over/ticketed because of it. 8)

warpspeed
01-10-2004, 10:13 AM
That is good that you took the time to look them up. But actually when you buy those kinds of lights, it usually say on the package "for off road use only"

howiEVO8
01-10-2004, 10:42 PM
"Tail lights other than red (24600 VC).
Illegal brake lights. Brake lights on vehicles newer than 1979 must be red (24603 VC). (Vehicles older than 1979 may be red or yellow.)
Lack of rear reflectors. Two red reflectors are required on the rear of cars and trucks (24607 VC).
Incorrect color of turn signal. It must be white or yellow to the front, red or yellow to the rear (24953 VC).

Tail lights that incorporate a bulb with a red tint or coating. In general, custom tail lights that incorporate a clear outer shell and red inner lens are legal (24011 VC). If they don't incorporate reflectors, they must be added to the vehicle (24607 VC).
Tail lights that are too dim, washed out or show yellow, white or other colors (24600 VC).
Illegal color of side marker lights. If present, must be yellow in the front and red in the rear (25106, 24003 VC). "

from the statements and findings above, EVO VII tail lights ARE legal :)

vtluu
01-10-2004, 10:50 PM
They probably are... Consult sections 24600 to 24616 (http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/tocd12c2a3.htm) of the California vehicle code for all the gory details.

evo_dadi
01-10-2004, 10:55 PM
driving to work this and saw this camry that had clear tails and an exhaust then as i passed by him he had those washer lights also.and i just looked at him like "what the hell are you driving" and he just gave me this pimp look like he's riding an exotic or sumthin.they should just ban those lights man nasty!!!

howiEVO8
01-10-2004, 11:03 PM
lolz

chris
01-11-2004, 12:43 AM
hahaha... how whack... pimp look?! lol