PDA

View Full Version : California law for tinted windows

cezber23
07-31-2007, 11:05 PM
What to do if you get a tint ticket

*only applicable to CA until I can get my hands on some out of state tickets or some good information from people who have gotten tickets*

California tint tickets are either 'correctable' or 'in correctable'. Two small boxes are listed just left of 26708a V.C. (tinted front windows). If the 'yes' box is checked then it is a correctable violation (fix-it ticket) if 'no' is checked then it is not and you will be responsible for all fines.

Correctable Ticket

1) First you need to get your tint removed.
2) Go to a Police Agency, Sheriff Station, or CHP facility and have them 'write off your ticket. Most agencies charge a $10-20 fee for this. Remember to bring in your license, registration, and proof of insurance (they may ask for this). By 'writing it off' the officer is going to sign the back of the ticket along with this badge number and agency thereby stating that you have indeed fixed the violation.
3) Mail or deliver the signed ticket to the courthouse listed on the ticket. Again, there is another small $10 fee depending on the county. If you decide to mail it in, it is a good habit to pay for certified mail. You would hate to get a warrant because your ticket was lost in the mail. (the court would blame you and not the US postmaster)

esco
07-31-2007, 11:07 PM
either way, the police get there $$$$$.

Bullshit if you ask me.

cezber23
07-31-2007, 11:10 PM
believe me. I'm paying $126. they put no on my ticket

UCLAevoIX
11-30-2007, 11:34 PM
where's the option to just pay the ticket off and not correct it? i got the ticket and the notice, but there's no information about just paying for it. i really don't want to take the tint off, even though it's only 55 in the front.

DirectorSe7en
11-30-2007, 11:40 PM
Yea, I got one this week. I'm keeping the tint and paying the fine like I always do.

This is my 4th tint ticket this year. I had tint on my Monte Carlo, and now on my Evo. I always do 5%.
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x295/DirectorSe7en/IMG_3089.jpg

UCLAevoIX
12-01-2007, 12:01 PM
how do you pay the fine, and how much is it? the ticket and notice don't have any information...

awdaddict
12-01-2007, 12:53 PM
It's interesting because I had my Red Nissan 200sx with the limo tint all around for a year and never got pull over for that.

DirectorSe7en
12-01-2007, 03:10 PM
^You are lucky then.

And UCLAevoIX, you have to wait until you get the paperwork in the mail. Once you do, you'll have the option to pay it. Typically it's around $200.

UCLAevoIX
12-02-2007, 01:07 AM
i've gotten the notice to appear, which is the original citation (but doesn't actually have a time to appear), and the notice of correction and proof of service, which is what was mailed.

there's something else?

nightwalker
12-16-2007, 11:05 AM
where's the option to just pay the ticket off and not correct it? i got the ticket and the notice, but there's no information about just paying for it. i really don't want to take the tint off, even though it's only 55 in the front.

Damn, you got a ticket for 55? Isn't that really light? I don't think you can even tell sometimes.

wokuku
12-27-2007, 03:56 PM
Has the law changed recently? If I recall correct the law said no front window tint at all but i have seen a lot of website listed you can have the front side tined as long as it allows 70% or more light to pass thru.

DirectorSe7en
12-27-2007, 04:07 PM
Yes, it can be tinted only to a certian percentage. Trust me, I would know as I've just recieved my 5th ticket a couple weeks back...

BOOSTX2
12-27-2007, 04:15 PM
^^Wow five tint tickets!! Just think when you get all your mods Installed, Just hope
they dont ask you to pop your hood..

DirectorSe7en
12-27-2007, 04:18 PM
:( I know.

I got some advice to spray my exhaust Black (which I'm strongly considering, just dont know anyone), and also to paint my aftermarket manifold and other pieces.....

byt
12-27-2007, 04:25 PM
:( I know.

I got some advice to spray my exhaust Black (which I'm strongly considering, just dont know anyone), and also to paint my aftermarket manifold and other pieces.....

spraying the exhaust is easy. rattle can away :)

DirectorSe7en
12-27-2007, 04:28 PM
No way....Hah!

I thought it needed to be some special paint or something. I didn't know it was literally spray paint...

byt
12-27-2007, 04:34 PM
Just clean it up, sand/prep, spray away. If you're really concerned you can get high temp paint but it's unlikely your muffler will get hot enough to need it. Touch ups are easy too if the paint ever chips.

EvoIXEnvy
12-27-2007, 05:17 PM
Reno, full limo tint no tickets :)

DirectorSe7en
12-27-2007, 06:37 PM
I guess I know where I wanna live.

That law might change when officers get shot at....

mtsevovii
12-27-2007, 09:09 PM
I guess I know where I wanna live.

That law might change when officers get shot at....

well, youre allowed to carry loaded firearms in NV... i like NV

DirectorSe7en
12-27-2007, 09:15 PM
Well that's good for the guy carrying it, not the others who have to walk by a potentially dangerous person carrying a loaded gun.

That law, I don't like so much.....

Mo Evo
12-31-2007, 02:57 PM
As a window tinter, I must stay well informed. From the IWFA state chart website... California allows no blue, amber, red or reflective film on any vehicle window. Behind the driver, any film is allowed provided there is a rearview mirror on each side of the vehicle. The top 4 inches of the windsheild may be tinted. No tint is allowed on the front driver/passenger side windows. However, CA is the only state with a proviso, that allows 70% on the two fronts, during the daytime, with a doctors approval. I've been using a Madico 80% on the fronts of customers vehicles with great results. Customers love it because it gives 'some' benefits of tint, such as uv rejection, safety from breaking glass in an accident, a small amount of heat reflection and a bit of a tinted look. Since some CHP carry tint detection devices with them and all vehicles have a small amount of tint in the glass, the 80% will bring the amount of tint to a level that is 'net' legal. Also, I've tinted quite a few CHP officers personal vehicles with the 80% tint. Before I tinted them they said they wanted something from the manufacturer, stating this was a CA legal tint. When I told them there was no such sticker, they were hesistant to do it at all, until I told them they would be hard pressed to actually 'see' the 80% tint. They are all very happy with it now and it has passed their CHP sargeant's approval. BTW, my Evo has Madico Charcool 5% on the rear 5 and 35% on the fronts, with a 5% 'eyebrow' on the top of the windshield.