PDA

View Full Version : Boost Control and Tuning questions

UCLAevoIX
08-15-2007, 10:27 PM
sorry for the noob questions, but i'm coming from the n/a honda world, and pretty much only had the basic experience at that. so, f/i, boost, and tuning are totally new.

how do the methods of boost control work? how does ecu-based boost control, mbc, and ebc control boost?

when you get a tune, what specific parameters are tuned? would anybody with tuning experience be able to tune a gst boost pill, mbc, and ebc equally well or do you need specific experience with each? for example, if you get tuned such that your hp/tq curves are better, does it really matter what type of boost control you're running, or is it just a matter of 'the ends justifies the means' and basically 'it doesn't matter what type of boost control as long as you get the desired output'?

thanks for any nice people with explanations. i'm off to read the 222 pages of threads found on an evoM search for 'boost control'....

earlyapex aka jack ass
08-15-2007, 11:11 PM
General overview:

1. Ecu-based boost control:

Boost is controlled via a target load and wastegate duty cycle via 16 RPM points. The tuner sets the target load that the car is hitting with the set wastegate duty cycle. Boost is then managed by error correction that will subtract or add boost depending on how over or under the target load the car is seeing. This works well because of the error control. The ecu will try and correct overboost or underboost situations no matter the weather or grade of road. This all depends on this system being tuned correctly. Other than the error correction advantage, this form of boost control also has the advantage of total boost curve control via the 16 rpm points mentioned above. You can totally custom tune the boost curve. This system can also hold more boost up top than some other boost control methods. This system also looks the most stock.

2. MBC

Simplest of all 3. Set and forget. You set the MBC to the desired peak boost level and hope for the best after that. Some MBC's can hold boost more than others. Some work better overall than other MBC's. No error correction. Sometimes can spike higher in cooler weather or more load situations. Some hold boost better in the midrange than others.

3. EBC

Lots of different EBC's out there. Some work like ecu-boost with full error correction and by RPM boost control (Apexi AVC-R is an example). Some are simple, easy to tune, work pretty solid (Blitz SBC-i is an example). The system is like the ecu-controlled system in that it uses a solenoid to control boost. Most expensive overall but depending on the system, can be the most versatile. Most have a built in boost gauge.

Matz
08-15-2007, 11:14 PM
How to tune your car for ECU boost control:

1. Drive to GST
2. Give Bryan bag of money
3. Leave GST with poop stains on your pants and Recaro seats

ST
08-16-2007, 01:11 PM
have fun:

http://www.socalevo.net/forum/index.php?topic=43930.0

1SloEvo
08-16-2007, 01:49 PM
How to tune your car for ECU boost control:

1. Drive to GST
2. Give Bryan bag of money
3. Leave GST with poop stains on your pants and Recaro seats

Same goes for MBC, but due to the safety, I will probably be joining the ECU boost crowd on my next tune.

UCLAevoIX
08-16-2007, 11:01 PM
so, would it be correct to say that a disadvantage of ecu-based bc via a custom pill is that you absolutely need a tune, compared to the mbc/ebc that will regulate your boost to the set amount?

also, since it sounds like you would end up running stock boost (because your ecu is still stock) if you installed a new pill and didn't get tuned - are there any dangers to that?

earlyapex aka jack ass
08-16-2007, 11:05 PM
so, would it be correct to say that a disadvantage of ecu-based bc via a custom pill is that you absolutely need a tune, compared to the mbc/ebc that will regulate your boost to the set amount?

Yes you would need a tune, either by yourself or a tuner. You can say you need a tune for a MBC/EBC as well to gain the full performance potential.

also, since it sounds like you would end up running stock boost (because your ecu is still stock) if you installed a new pill and didn't get tuned - are there any dangers to that?

A upgraded pill will overboost if not tuned for it. You cannot just change the pill without changing the boost tables.

triple L
08-17-2008, 11:55 AM
i need a tune for my new injen LICP UICP and intake... sometimes it kinda stalls!!! help me anybody!!

whtrice
08-17-2008, 04:26 PM
What kind of intake?

i need a tune for my new injen LICP UICP and intake... sometimes it kinda stalls!!! help me anybody!!

triple L
08-17-2008, 05:41 PM
it is a Injen short ram hard intake ...my engine light went on after the installation but i reset the ecu and now its gone but the car stalls sometimes right after i take off the gas pedal

whtrice
08-17-2008, 05:49 PM
Might need to talk to one of the local tuners. This intake can mess with the MAF. I have seen the ECU "learn" to idle the car after such swaps but some may need to be tuned or adjusted.

it is a Injen short ram hard intake ...my engine light went on after the installation but i reset the ecu and now its gone but the car stalls sometimes right after i take off the gas pedal

1SloEvo
08-17-2008, 07:44 PM
GST filter FTW!!!

triple L
08-18-2008, 03:36 AM
alright...thanks ya!! ill probly get a tune to see if itll fix my prob... i was gonna get tune newase either than that i can alwase take it off and put the stocker back on but good lookin out yo!!

wht03evo8
09-26-2008, 12:02 AM
Its funny you say that cuz just today i installed the Injen upper and lower with the intake.. But i have had no issues at all i wonder if it was from the dealer mess up or something but thank god mine has not crapped out on me yet..

My new issue is not being able to boost over 10 psi with a AEM Tru boost, and when i decided to go back to stock i found that the previous owner broke the stock solenoid and i will not be able go back just yet!!! So if anybody has a stock boost solenoid or has any suggestions let me know.. PLEASE... Thanks and good luck on the Intake set up..

triple L
09-26-2008, 12:37 AM
hey did you have carb exempt sticker on your injen intake?? Mr whtevo! mine didnt come with any part/carb sticker....i wonder if its really street legal since it didnt come with one

slimdatwelve209
09-26-2008, 02:02 AM
hey did you have carb exempt sticker on your injen intake?? Mr whtevo! mine didnt come with any part/carb sticker....i wonder if its really street legal since it didnt come with one

u gotta call injen

wht03evo8
10-12-2008, 07:48 PM
Thats true it does say that it is carb legal but didnt come with any carb numbers i will call them and try to get them to send me a card number and see what happens i will let you know what happens. So still no luck with your intake system..

triple L
10-12-2008, 10:15 PM
still no luck with my intake..... hit us up n let us know!!

wht03evo8
10-14-2008, 07:21 PM
Did injen not allow you to get a card sticker from them?

triple L
10-15-2008, 12:46 AM
i don't know...i ordered from a wedsite from my boys house and injen said i need to get it from them....

wht03evo8
10-15-2008, 02:25 PM
Thats bullshit, its still there product i will call and start raising some hell and i will try to get it for us

triple L
10-16-2008, 12:44 PM
i just gave up....my bois sayd just get aem intake!

slimdatwelve209
10-17-2008, 12:33 AM
i just gave up....my bois sayd just get aem intake!

one of my dynasty guy has one and not using it you wanna buy it? i can ask him

triple L
10-17-2008, 01:05 AM
how much he wanna sell it fo... im not planning on getting it soon though.... ey i herd bee wanna get an evo too... that nigga alwase braggin about it... ey eric where did u get your tune from?? any suggestion i take mine to??

slimdatwelve209
10-17-2008, 01:27 AM
hit me up on private message i sent you one

rlevo
10-18-2008, 11:14 PM
I see GM 3 port solenoid or Gruppe-S 3 - Port Boost Control Solenoid and Harness w/ECU boost. Are these this hardware better than boost pill?

wht03evo8
10-19-2008, 07:27 PM
How often do the OEM boost solenoids go out cuz i just fixed my original problem but now i think that the OEM solenoid is gone bad which is only like 15 days old.... What should i do?