PDA

View Full Version : I have $1000

druvim
08-18-2007, 07:34 PM
What would you guys recommend me get for my first mods? I am planning on spending no more than $1000.

What do you guys think about the WORKS brain flash P2?

I want to know who tuned your cars or where you guys got your cars tuned? I dont know anything about tunning my own car, so if you guys can please give me either a few great shops that tune cars or any ecu flashes I can do myself.

Thanks.

UCB
08-18-2007, 07:35 PM
lol! Anything but works

Used DP, used DP, CBE-$500
fitler-$25
Custom Tune-$400-500

Matz
08-18-2007, 07:38 PM
Well, everyone here already knows what I'm going to say. WORKS has some really, really nice bits, but a bit expensive. Maybe buy them used.. rocket_man here has a ton of WORKS stuff for sale, if I'm not mistaken. But I would recommend a GST tune over the P2.

Dbadged9
08-18-2007, 07:41 PM
custom dyno tune> p2 tune

I used to have a p2 tune and it was pretty bad, they tried to get power from leaning it out hardcore at the end of the power band and it had quite a bit of knock, not to mention its just a cookie cutter so u can always get more power out of a custom tune.

Also i'd be willing to part with my Works Catback exhaust if your intrested in one'

CB/TP/DP/gst open air/tune

should be really close to $1k

druvim
08-18-2007, 07:42 PM
What is a GST tune?

TogueMonster
08-18-2007, 07:43 PM
Do you drive an Evo 8 or 9?

TBE
MBC
Drop in filter
Tune by Speed Element/GST Motorsports

Check out the classifieds for used parts, you can save a bit of $$.

Matz
08-18-2007, 07:43 PM
WORKS catback fits nicely, sounds really good (quiet), and makes decent power, but not as much as some of the others out there. The angled tip flows with the rear bumper and looks fantastic if you don't plan on getting a JDM rear bumper.

Matz
08-18-2007, 07:44 PM
What is a GST tune?

It's a tune that makes your car feel like a rocketship. I'm running a 100 octane tune from bryan@GST and it's freaking amazing. really.

druvim
08-18-2007, 07:45 PM
Accually I do have a JDM rear bumper cover.

druvim
08-18-2007, 07:47 PM
Hey Matz, even my stock evo would feel like a rocket ship? Where are they located at?

druvim
08-18-2007, 07:48 PM
Another thing guys, I dont really know some of the abreviations you guys use. So please try to spell it out.

Thanks, dont mean to be an Ass.

1SloEvo
08-18-2007, 07:49 PM
Not sure what year your car is, but I would go with an intake, exhaust, hi flow cat (or test pipe :) ) and tune. I have had my tunes done by bryan@gst. Great tuner and very knowledgeable. If you have an 03-04, you can pick up an ebay exhaust for around 300-350 shipped, including downpipe. Then a hi flow cat would be around 150-200. If you have an 05-06, look around on this forum for some good local deals for a downpipe that will clear the ACD, cat and exhaust. For the intake, I would suggest the GST open filter. I am running it on my 06 and making well over 300 whp. I would also suggest their boost Â*assy and toon. If you have an 8, you could probably be as much as 275 or so whp. If you have a 9, I have seen some cars hit around 290 whp. If you have an 03-04 and would like to buy an exhaust, I have an Ebay exhaust I will sale you for 175. Includes downpipe and catback, but no cat or test pipe. If you could find some good deals and save your self a little money, the next mod I would suggest would be intercooler piping. Maybe a helix upper and a nisei lower. Both are good pieces that you can find for descent prices. But if you only have the money for one, I would go with the lower intercooler pipe first due to the section that's like 1 1/2 inches diameter Â*that runs for about a foot out of the turbo. That will help the turbo flow a good bit more efficiently. Hope that helps.

Brandon

TogueMonster
08-18-2007, 07:51 PM
Another thing guys, I dont really know some of the abreviations you guys use. So please try to spell it out.

Thanks, dont mean to be an Ass.

TBE=Turbo back exhaust
MBC=Manual boost controller

druvim
08-18-2007, 07:52 PM
Thanks for all the replies so far guys. And by the way I have an evo 9

1SloEvo
08-18-2007, 07:54 PM
I would suggest a perrin downpipe or tanabe downpipe. the tanabe is smaller, coming in @ 2.75", but it will help your torque numbers. Both of these are generally the 2 best fitting downpipes for the evo 9.

XVeloX
08-18-2007, 07:56 PM
well for starters....

if you have a IX (2006-2007 model)
http://www.norcalevo.net/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=2&topic=20148.0

You can also send a PM (personal message) to Bryan@GST or call GST Motorsports to talk with him about what some options are after you check out the staged upgrades listed above. There are also other shops like Speed Element, EIP, Full Function, and a few others that you could talk to as well. The one thing that everyone here recommends is getting a tune from one of the local tuners.

If you plan on modifying more in the near future, maybe wait till your car is ready. If you think it will be a month or so, probably add the tune into your $1000 budget. Hope some of this helps. Good Luck!

EDIT: as i was typing you said you had a IX...

druvim
08-18-2007, 07:57 PM
What do you guys think about the Helix v2 Down Pipe? It clears the ACD.

MadEvo
08-18-2007, 07:58 PM
http://www.norcalevo.net/forum/index.php/topic,20148.0.html

Andy@SpeedElement is also a good choice...

XVeloX
08-18-2007, 08:00 PM

I win :D

That one is fine, 3" too. Some recommend running a 2.75" downpipe because it has plenty of flow, but will help your torque numbers. 3" is even more (unnecessary?) flow, with slightly lower torque numbers

Darqnez
08-18-2007, 09:52 PM
Yah if you think your gonna do a bigger turbo eventually then get a 3" if not the 2.75 is a better choice IMHO.

I win :D

That one is fine, 3" too. Some recommend running a 2.75" downpipe because it has plenty of flow, but will help your torque numbers. 3" is even more (unnecessary?) flow, with slightly lower torque numbers

Ben
08-18-2007, 10:16 PM
Not to be an ass but there's a search function here.

Also if you would have searched it seems like no one got good results with a Works P2. A buddy of mine bought his car with a P2 and a TBE and got it dynoed at Speedelement. Boost was going past 26 psi and he was making less than stock power for an VIII (218 hp). GST took care of him though.

player67
08-19-2007, 12:26 AM
^yeah custom tuning is the way to go. And if you have a IX your car will REALLY wake up with just 1000$

and yes ben you meant to be an ass

Ben
08-19-2007, 12:34 AM
^ Listen here, Dara, I'm gonna have to have a word or two with you at the next meet. Time to perfect the Dara Punch.

EhvOhlOOshUn
08-19-2007, 01:58 AM
^ Listen here, Dara, I'm gonna have to have a word or two with you at the next meet. Time to perfect the Dara Punch.

is that his version of a donkey punch? :D

Ben
08-19-2007, 02:10 AM
^ Well it's the way Dara punches. I've also heard that it's the only way to defeat him in battle. Imagine a retard with broken arms trying to punch you. My advice to the forum is that if Dara looks like he's gonna attack you it would be better just to turn around and run.

mjstruck
08-19-2007, 02:29 AM
But Dara is scared of bugs...if he tries to attack you, throw a bug at him and he'll back away like a little girl screaming "ahhhh" :lol:
As for mods, go with a full turbo back exhaust, open air filter, lower intercooler pipe, and a fuel pump. You should be able to hit high numbers with those minimal mods since you're have a IX. :D

Ben
08-19-2007, 02:51 AM
^ I agree with him but minus the open air filter. Get one if you like the noise though. Also you may want to consider a RRE Rallycat rather than a testpipe just in case you get pulled over and they actually check for that. Try a highflow cat if you want to at least be a little environmentally friendly.

steevo8
08-19-2007, 07:36 AM
for comparison here is my old cars graphs. The thing that looks like a map of a roller coaster was my p2 flash and the nice smooth lines are from Bryan's tune.
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i45/ssleevin/steve_larman_trace_graph.jpg
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i45/ssleevin/DSC00234.jpg

Matz
08-19-2007, 07:56 AM
at least yours wasn't running 12.1 AFR up top like mine. :shock:

steevo8
08-19-2007, 09:19 AM
um actually it was. I had someone throw it on their dyno and give it a check over right when I bought the car and it was holding 12:1 from 4500-5800 so I installed a 255walbro and they richened it up also for free just to get me into a safe spot untill I could have bryan tune it. lol the base run the day after I bought the car before they richened it up was 236/219 with tbe,hfc,drop in filter,ebay o2 housing,and the p2. So the before and after pics dont even tell half the story. I could go on all day

player67
08-19-2007, 06:48 PM
But Dara is scared of bugs...if he tries to attack you, throw a bug at him and he'll back away like a little girl screaming "ahhhh" :lol:
As for mods, go with a full turbo back exhaust, open air filter, lower intercooler pipe, and a fuel pump. You should be able to hit high numbers with those minimal mods since you're have a IX. :D

Youre gonna get a dara punch at the next meet then troy will try and join and we'll all run away cause he looks like the hulk in pain when he does the dara fighting stance

trinydex
08-20-2007, 11:39 AM
follow stages

Flashy Stage 1 is:

-3" catback exhaust
-Fuel pump
-Dejon Tool Manual Boost Controller

you'll need someone to push the buttons on the laptop for a ecuflash road tune (hence flashy)

Stage 1+ is all of Flashy Stage 1 +:

-3" downpipe
-cat replacement
-Cams

plus the additions of an optional o2 housing or 10.5 hot side if applicable.

insert flashy here.

Flashy Stage 2 is:

-Fuel pump
-Boost Controller
-3" catback exhaust
-Injectors
-Cams
-3" downpipe
-Cat replacement
-Biggie turbo

Someone pushes the buttons for the flashy

Stage 2+ is all of Stage 2 +:

-AEM EMS
-AEM MAP Sensor
-MAFless intake
-GM AIT Sensor
-Wideband
-Upgraded FMIC and IC piping

you'll need someone to push the button on the laptop for the ems tune

Stage 3 is:

-Fuel pump
-Boost Controller
-3" catback exhaust
-1000cc Denso Injectors
-Bigger Cams
-3" downpipe
-Cat replacement
-Bigger turbo
-AEM EMS
-AEM MAP Sensor
-MAFless intake
-GM AIT Sensor
-Wideband
-Upgraded FMIC and IC piping
-Built increased displacement (2.3 or 2.4 Liter)
-Race ported head with oversized valves

you'll need someone to push the buttons on the ems tune

ST
08-20-2007, 11:48 AM
follow stages

Flashy Stage 1 is.....you'll need someone to push the buttons on the ems tune

I disagree with the staging of yours Triny. This is what I would typically expect from EVO IXs and my recommendation for power/dollar mods (power figures on MD dyno):

Stock Evo: ~235whp
Stock Evo + Tune: ~245whp
Stock Evo + Boost pill / 3port + Tune: 265-270whp
Stock Evo + Boost pill / 3port + TBE (stock cat) / intake + Tune: 290-295whp
Stock Evo + Boost pill / 3port + TBE (no cat) / intake + FP / Injectors + Tune = 305-310whp

Unless you're going all out hp with goals of 340-350whp on race gas, AEM EMS/FMIC/MAP isn't necessary.

trinydex
08-20-2007, 12:28 PM
uhm... what?

i said follow stages... i didn't say you have to get to stage 10.

anyone can feel free to stop at any time. stages are meant to guide the person to do things in the right order of mods so they don't do things backwards and wonder why their car sounds funny or doesn't make as much power as all the other cool guys on the forum.

and oooh lookie! your "stages" look similar to mine...

also, since when was a tbe including the stock cat? if people are gonna bother to put in the labor and money involved in buying and installing then getting a tune, i'd recommend that they do so with the economy of A) things in the right order B) doing things strategically at the same time so that tuning costs can be minimized.

earlyapex aka jack ass
08-20-2007, 12:43 PM
http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/misc/emoticons/popc1.gif

dabaysevo
08-20-2007, 12:47 PM
^+1

trinydex
08-20-2007, 01:17 PM
http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/misc/emoticons/popc1.gif
oh whatever mang hahaha now that you're here i'll get me some redvines

Positron
08-20-2007, 01:19 PM
i like AMC theaters self serve butter facaut.
I literally soak my entire bag of popcorn in it.

dabaysevo
08-20-2007, 01:22 PM
^ I thought I was the only one. :D I call it, "heart attack" in a bag.

trinydex
08-20-2007, 01:37 PM
i hate popcorn... disgusting... let's bust out the swedish fish!

ST
08-20-2007, 01:49 PM
uhm... what?

i said follow stages... i didn't say you have to get to stage 10.

anyone can feel free to stop at any time. stages are meant to guide the person to do things in the right order of mods so they don't do things backwards and wonder why their car sounds funny or doesn't make as much power as all the other cool guys on the forum.

and oooh lookie! your "stages" look similar to mine...

also, since when was a tbe including the stock cat? if people are gonna bother to put in the labor and money involved in buying and installing then getting a tune, i'd recommend that they do so with the economy of A) things in the right order B) doing things strategically at the same time so that tuning costs can be minimized.

having a bad day or something? i just merely said i disagree, no need spaz out....and this data is from actual evo ix's i have worked with (including my own)....

earlyapex aka jack ass
08-20-2007, 01:51 PM
i hate popcorn... disgusting... let's bust out the swedish fish!

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/misc/emoticons/harpist.gif

awdaddict
08-20-2007, 02:02 PM
I smell...

http://www2.kpr.edu.on.ca/cdciw/Drama/mask2.gif

lncrevoviii
08-20-2007, 10:55 PM
Its an easy question and you guys made it all violent and shit.

So to cheer everyone up.

TBE-$300-400
Tune-$300.
MBC or boost pill- $50

$250 left.

Now, get some hookers, some beer and make sure you call us over.

Party at teh OP's house yall!
WooT! WOOT!!

NO?!

Damn!

Ben
08-21-2007, 12:00 AM
^ TBE for $300 - $400? Isn't it the norm on here for most Evo owners (myself definately not included) to spend that much just on a catback?

steevo8
08-21-2007, 05:43 AM
the only tbe I have seen for that price are the ebay specials. Even a decent catback is going to push past that amount

superman37r1
08-21-2007, 08:20 AM
I have a lot of nice stuff for sale in the For sale section...Parting out my car...

ReSin
08-21-2007, 08:29 AM
I second buying used parts, especially if it's in good condition and cheap...just price check before hand, especially if you are dealing with EvoM folks...some are pretty shady on there...

Dennis

Ben
08-21-2007, 08:42 AM
^ I second that...my catback cost about as much as the average Evo owners intake!

lncrevoviii
08-21-2007, 09:01 AM
I said $300-$400 for TBE because you can find a nice used one.
I mean ST has a Greddy Ti for around that price. IMO, Greddy Ti is so far the best in the market, ~10lbs.
Any other TBEs that are a bit out of shape (in looks wise) then they go anywhere from $250-$300.

earlyapex aka jack ass
08-21-2007, 09:10 AM
Those ebay TBE's actually make great power, much to the cries of Dynoflash and Buschur.

But they are pretty loud. If you can live with the noise, they do perform.

ST
08-21-2007, 09:37 AM
fyi - i had a used ebay special as one of my first of 6-7 exhaust systems. It had terrible fitment issue as well as that goofy angled exhaust look. YMMV.

XVeloX
08-21-2007, 09:39 AM
^ Doesn't mean it wont make good power :wink: lol

earlyapex aka jack ass
08-21-2007, 09:45 AM
I've never sold, installed or looked at one on a lift so I have no idea about fitment issues.

Ben
08-21-2007, 09:54 AM
^ Last time I checked those ebay TBE's were $250 plus shipping. The only prob was that the downpipe rubbed up against the ACD. I guess it fit fine on non-ACD equipped Evo's. Some people just fixed it by making a dent somewhere on the downpipe with a hammer to make it fit.

But, really a 3 inch pipe is a 3 inch pipe. Some of those catbacks that cost the same as my TBE don't really sound good. I think people just buy them for the JDM goodness.

lncrevoviii
08-21-2007, 10:47 AM
^ Last time I checked those ebay TBE's were $250 plus shipping. The only prob was that the downpipe rubbed up against the ACD. I guess it fit fine on non-ACD equipped Evo's. Some people just fixed it by making a dent somewhere on the downpipe with a hammer to make it fit.

But, really a 3 inch pipe is a 3 inch pipe. Some of those catbacks that cost the same as my TBE don't really sound good. I think people just buy them for the JDM goodness.

but I did read somewhere that Ebay exhaust were not true 3".
Most of the ebay sellers usually put "outside diameter 3inches" or they would say "3inch piping", but they rarely put inside diameter on their ads.

earlyapex aka jack ass
08-21-2007, 10:52 AM
"3 I.D Mandrel Bend Piping with TIG Weld"

The ones I have seen look to be 3", at least from looking into them and what I can see on the dyno.

lncrevoviii
08-21-2007, 11:07 AM
"3 I.D Mandrel Bend Piping with TIG Weld"

The ones I have seen look to be 3", at least from looking into them and what I can see on the dyno.

thats the thing about Ebay, you have to seperate good sellers from the fake ones who are just there to make money and not care about product or customer service.

Some are good and there product is described the way its supposed to be and some are just BS, with the "style" "looks" etc crap in between the words.

steevo8
08-21-2007, 11:10 AM
As good of a deal as ST's greddy TI is I thought all he was selling was the catback not a complete TBE...???

lncrevoviii
08-21-2007, 11:17 AM
As good of a deal as ST's greddy TI is I thought all he was selling was the catback not a complete TBE...???

yea I missed that part.

But Greddy Ti retails for ~$1300.
used Ti goes around for $600-$700.
ST's Ti is for $400, a used test pipe $40 and a used DP for $100. Still a regular TBE goes for $400. Used CBs are going for $250-$300.

Damn I really screwed up on numbas. Guess no party, hookers and beers at OP's house. DAMN!

Btw, don't think I am trying to help ST sell his exhaust. :lol:
The reason I am mentioning that is because he is selling that for hella cheap.

triple L
08-02-2008, 12:15 AM
and druvim...also check out craigslist.org ....thats where i got mines for 380... used jic magic dp and cat-back full 3".. i didnt think that was a bad deal since i have researched them and they go for quite a scratch in the head... for ebay.. um fitment is an issue!!