PDA

View Full Version : out of state

VINO EVO
08-22-2007, 07:43 PM
so im from minnesota. my cars from minnesota. it is also registered in minnesota. mn's laws are not that strict but they are there. 50% tint on all windows. need a cat. no cai's etc. etc. but i have never heard of anyone ever getting asked to "pop" there hoods by a cop. thats insanity. so my question is. will my car be a problem? it's built no cat no maf no egr engine bay is far from stock looking. any help would be great.

earlyapex aka jack ass
08-22-2007, 08:01 PM
Yes if you get pulled over and your hood popped you have a 90% chance of getting sent to state ref. However nowadays you can either go to state ref or pay a fine I believe. However I think since you are from out of state, have it registered out of state it should be ok. But, once you register it here, all bets are off.

Cali doesn't fool around. Stealth is a pita but it saves you a ton of headache. I had my hood popped last month. First time in years. "wow, it is stock" ;)

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/mods/EVO/stealth_intake/evo_stealth_intake01.jpg

SpeedElement
08-22-2007, 08:31 PM
that ain't stock bpv ;)

Hot8Evo
08-22-2007, 08:34 PM
What happen if you got pull over and they saw all your bling bling? would they give you state ref still?

Evo9R
08-23-2007, 01:16 AM
most likely

player67
08-23-2007, 02:58 AM
Those arent stock clamps im sorry pls take it up with the ref *ticket tear noise effect*....

Matz
08-23-2007, 07:04 AM
If you can keep it out of state, that would be best, I think. My cousin's NSX is registered in Nevada and has the crazy FX-500 kit, and CA police didn't bother to deal with it because his car was out of state. I guess it's possible that YMMV though.

VINO EVO
08-24-2007, 08:14 AM
nice i was hoping it would be alright. i went to a boarding school in maine, and boy was this thing an issue. i constantly was being harased but keep in mind maine population just hit 1,000,000 within the past year or two! so not alot of people and not very many cops, they tend to get to "know" you. wich sucked i just ended up taking the carbin off i put a bra on the front and only drove it in the snow.

ReSin
08-24-2007, 09:00 AM
I'm not to sure how this works for you civilians, but it's my understanding that if you stay in a state for more than XX amount of days, that state considers you a resident, whether you like it or not, and therefore, should conform to their state laws...here's something I found on the Ca DMV site. http://www.chp.ca.gov/prog/cheaters.cgi Just be prepared that's all I'm saying.
Now...if you were Active Duty Military, and are an out of state resident...tell them to pack sand, as you are stationed here against your will. If I get sent to the State Ref...I will have another states plates on my kaa within a month...Ca can kiss my @$$. On a side note. I've been pulled over for tint on two different vehicles, two different states (Wa and Ks) plates...I walked in while in uniform...tickets were pretty much taken care of without looking at the vehicles...

Dennis

VINO EVO
08-24-2007, 09:02 AM
well thank you for the link. i can't thank you enough for serving this great country. keep up the good work! thanks again for the link i have heard about this before but was unsure about it.

ReSin
08-24-2007, 10:06 AM
You are welcome...just browse through the site, and especially the California Vehicle Code...a lot of info in there...especially the modified exhaust part...I love that one. Just one more story...
I got pulled over for a Greddy exhaust on my Integra a few years back...the CHP officer told me that my exhaust was modified, therefore illegal in Cali...(I had Wa state plates on that kaa). I had that print out from Greddy stating that it met 50 state approval and was CARB approved too. Sooo, the CHP officer had me rev up to 3500 while his ear was a foot away from the tip (I watched him in the passenger mirror do this) and then tells me that it was a modified exhaust. My reply...Yes...it's a aftermarket exhaust, BUT it's 50 state legal...the retard gave me a ticket anyway.
Sooo, I go into the CHP station with my ticket, CVC info, and the Greddy paperwork...I sited the CVC that states the RPM and db limit, and that the Officer used his ear (which wasn't calibrated and this was during rush hour on the side of a major freeway in San Diego) and determined that it was illegal...anyways...the Officer behind the desk waved the fee and apologized for the inconvenience. Being preparing is half the battle...

Dennis

VINO EVO
08-24-2007, 12:18 PM
word, i am goig to have issues out here. hopefully my EVO 8 U plates won't attract to much attention

AreSTG
08-26-2007, 06:24 AM
word, i am goig to have issues out here. hopefully my EVO 8 U plates won't attract to much attention

for one more person's opinion with out of state plates, i'll chime in. Again like resin im in teh military so i can avoind the residency issue. A way for you to do thsi as well, could be add a family member in MN to the title, and than its as much a MN resident's car as yours.

Anyway, in 2 years here in CA, I haven't been pulled over once (knock on wood). Nearly every cop breaks his neck when he sees my car, and quite a many have busted a U-turn either for no front plate(no front plates in PA), because it's an Evo, or somewhat loud exhaust. Evry cop would come up behind me, and once noticed it was PA plates, lost interest and went on their way. Now, if a cop is around, i do drive in 6th gear at 35mph, but i believe the plate has alot to do with it.

esco
08-26-2007, 11:39 PM

for one more person's opinion with out of state plates, i'll chime in. Again like resin im in teh military so i can avoind the residency issue. A way for you to do thsi as well, could be add a family member in MN to the title, and than its as much a MN resident's car as yours.

Anyway, in 2 years here in CA, I haven't been pulled over once (knock on wood). Nearly every cop breaks his neck when he sees my car, and quite a many have busted a U-turn either for no front plate(no front plates in PA), because it's an Evo, or somewhat loud exhaust. Evry cop would come up behind me, and once noticed it was PA plates, lost interest and went on their way. Now, if a cop is around, i do drive in 6th gear at 35mph, but i believe the plate has alot to do with it.

Dude, at the wheatland gate the private guards told me there was an evo that had been speeding around a st (near the golf course, by that F-104 statue) there and they think he lives on West garrayana. So heads up if you do!

bdking57
08-26-2007, 11:45 PM
you should consider doing what I did... the car wouldnt have past smog so I just left it registered in a another state... I was pulled over plenty of times for warnings.. never received a ticket, plus I was pretty much immune to all the modded car BS since it was registered out of state.Â* If you want to have this work 100% of the time.. just get some high white walls military haircut (or at least passable) and just act all spastic when you get pulled over.

VINO EVO
08-29-2007, 07:33 PM
^ good idea

AreSTG
09-02-2007, 06:55 AM
If you want to have this work 100% of the time.. just get some high white walls military haircut (or at least passable) and just act all spastic when you get pulled over.

unless you are going to try and pull off Air Force. In that case you need an Eric Foreman haircut like me and 90% of Intelligence people.

I actually found out recently other people around the base can tell our squadron from looking at us from our shitty uniforms and out of reg's hair. Also we wear winter jackets and pants(gore tex if you know), when it 100 out becuse of where we work.

Our hair is referred to as "the Intel cut"

AreSTG
09-02-2007, 06:57 AM
Dude, at the wheatland gate the private guards told me there was an evo that had been speeding around a st (near the golf course, by that F-104 statue) there and they think he lives on West garrayana. So heads up if you do!

TY for the hears up. My old neighbor on Troutman when i lived on base has an Evo, maybe them(hopefully it is and they get cought, i hate them). Also, theres another white Evo on base i see sometimes unless that's you. I think it's an 05MR exactly like mine. Hopefully not him.

esco
09-02-2007, 05:44 PM

TY for the hears up. My old neighbor on Troutman when i lived on base has an Evo, maybe them(hopefully it is and they get cought, i hate them). Also, theres another white Evo on base i see sometimes unless that's you. I think it's an 05MR exactly like mine. Hopefully not him.

the other evo on base is cornercarver, he's on here sometimes. I only took my evo out there once. At night and on the runway....Connections LOL.

AreSTG
01-19-2008, 07:19 AM
is anyone on the site a cop?Â* I'd really like to get a difinative answer on some of this.Â* It doesn't make sense to me that CA can enforce their CARB laws on a car registered in another state.Â* I mean, at least in the 90's weren't some cars manufactured differently if they were planning on selling it in CA. I know they do that sorta thing for Canada.
The reason I ask is in PA, our version of CARB is you must have a cat (any cat) and pass a sniffer (way more lenient than CA sniffer).Â* Any intake, aftermarket internal/external... I swapped an engine in a car from 1.5 N/A to a destroked turbo version (engine never sold in U.S., different engine code) that was 1.3L, even had a TMIC and when it passed sniffer I was sent on my way.

So long story short, If I only have to follow PA emmisions standards I'm free to do what I want to.Â* Side note: I don't have to pass an emissions test for PA unless my car is there for more than 30 straight days.

chrisw
01-19-2008, 09:56 AM
basically in CA, if you run the car here, and live here for more than 30 days, then the car must comply with CA emissions requirements and be registered in the state. If you are in the armed forces, you might have exceptions.

end of story..

sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I have been there, done that with my old talon.

homi mike
01-19-2008, 02:08 PM
I have out of state plate along with a license with out of state address. If I got pulled over, I tell them I am just visiting here for 3 days and I am on my way back to Arizona :D

Let see if the cali officer will still insist to send me to a Arizona state ref. (if there's really one)