PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question about which oil filter to use

Sfkn2
08-27-2007, 02:28 PM
I checked my oil today and it was at the lower dot, so I figured that maybe I should give it an oil change. I usually get mobil1 oil over at Walmart in the east bay since they're about $25 for 5 quarts, and I'd use an OEM oil filter (on my S2000.. for free, since I worked at Honda).

I went to Kragen today to pick up some oil. I looked through one of the sites.. maybe Evolutionm.net or whatever, and saw that it was 4.6 qts for an oil change. I bought 5 quarts of Mobil1 with a Mobil1 oil filter, as I could not find a Fram filter for this car.

5 qts of Mobil1 oil at $6.50 a quart = $32.50
Mobil 1 oil filter = $11.99
8.5% sales tax = $3.78

Total = 48.28

I'm guessing you guys buy oil filters for a lot less than that, especially if you have to change it between oil changes. Where do you guys get them?

Tnastyevo8
08-27-2007, 02:31 PM
dont buy your oil at kragen, walmart is wayyy cheaper

Sfkn2
08-27-2007, 02:34 PM
^^ I know, but I didn't have time to go all the way to Walmart today. It's all the way on the other side of the bridge for me. :( Didn't want to run my car low on oil.

Fa-Q
08-27-2007, 02:39 PM
^agreed. I believe Walmart is like $20-25 bucks but by the time you add tax + bridge toll + gas to drive there and back i'd rather just go to the Kragen right near my house.

Sfkn2
08-27-2007, 02:40 PM
Back to the original question.. which oil filter? :)

Fa-Q
08-27-2007, 02:44 PM
^sorry to go off topic earlier. I bought the OEM filter and oil drain plug crush washer from Serramonte Mitsubishi for $7.XX total. I don't know if it's the best, but many people have told me to just use the OEM filter.

lncrevoviii
08-27-2007, 02:48 PM
I am running a Suby filter right now.
I heard its better than OEM mitsu.

My Oil usually costs ~$30 (Royal Purple).
Then I go to SE for my change. They charge $25 w/ oil filter. So, $20 for oil change and $5 for filter.

NEVER EVER GO TO THE DEALERSHIP TO HAVE YOUR OIL CHANGED. NOOOOOOO!!

Sfkn2
08-27-2007, 02:50 PM
^^ I do my own oil changes, but I needed to know which oil filter to go with.

So you buy your oil for $30, $25 for labor and filter? That's a total of $55. DIY should cost more like $30 at most.

bricel24
08-27-2007, 02:53 PM
I usually use either OEM or Fram. works just the same imo.

RonV
08-27-2007, 03:01 PM
Fram filters are total crap.

Sfkn2
08-27-2007, 03:04 PM
^^ I agree with that, Ron. The Frams are just.. eh...

And Brice, if you think that Fram and OEM filters are the same, then perhaps I should try something else? But $12 + tax on an oil filter is a bit .. too much.

bricel24
08-27-2007, 03:07 PM
hmmm... i never had a problem with fram... well not that i know off :lol:

any explanation for this? would be good for me to know so i could avoid it next time.

airforce1
08-27-2007, 03:13 PM
Is there a price difference b/w the Mobil oil filter and OEM? Â*Just wondering.

island_671
08-27-2007, 03:13 PM
I use OEM filter "MZ690116" Â*8)

bricel24
08-27-2007, 03:16 PM
Is there a price difference b/w the Mobil oil filter and OEM? Just wondering.

as per Sfkn2, he paid $11.99 for the Mobil filter, whereas the OEM one per Fa-Q is about $8 including the crush washer from the dealer.

Sfkn2
08-27-2007, 03:17 PM
Hm... OEM filters are pretty pricey too. Does anyone know of a website to buy them from? Maybe we can do a huge groupbuy?

island_671
08-27-2007, 03:18 PM
Hm... OEM filters are pretty pricey too. Does anyone know of a website to buy them from? Maybe we can do a huge groupbuy?

Good Idea!

RonV
08-27-2007, 03:25 PM
To make a long story short:
Fram has the worst quality/ loosest quality controls in the parts biz.

This is not a " I heard that Fram sucks.......blah.blah.." story. I know it for fact. Rather than get into a online debate try this: buy a new fram filter and cut it open and take a look at the filter cartridge. Open up that M1,OEM, or just about any other filter. The results will speak for them selves. Fram oil filter look like they could clog and bypass after about a thousand miles.............

Mobil One, Champion Labs, OEM, Denso, and Puroilator are all great filters.

FWIW I use Mobil 1 filters.

In no way am I trying to bash Fram users, I'm just giving my opinon.

Take care,
Ron V

airforce1
08-27-2007, 03:38 PM
Is there a price difference b/w the Mobil oil filter and OEM? Just wondering.

as per Sfkn2, he paid $11.99 for the Mobil filter, whereas the OEM one per Fa-Q is about $8 including the crush washer from the dealer.

Hmmm..so getting a Mobil one filter does NOT include the crush washer and therefore must buy one as well?

RonV
08-27-2007, 04:34 PM
I picked up a bag of crush washers from the dealer for like 20 bucks. There is actually a Mitsu part # for a bag of ten. No I figure I won't have to worry about running around looking for a crush washer for a couple of years...........

UCB
08-27-2007, 04:39 PM
I use the OEM filter...its sold online for $4.60

nightwalker
08-27-2007, 04:41 PM
I second the crush washers. If you don't use it, you will develop a little leak. Like me. It's hard when you live in the boondocks. But I wouldn't use the Mobil1 filters. I tried it once and during start up (about 10 degrees outside) the car would shudder for a couple seconds then the RPMs would jump up. This went on for about a week. Freaked me out, and after much thinking, I went to the shop and changed it out for a wix. BAM, no more weird shudder. The car started perfect. Since then I've stuck to WIX. BTOG likes them, and the old race car guys love them, so I'm staying with them.

RonV
08-27-2007, 04:44 PM
dude,
if your car was shuddering, it wasn't becuase of an oil filter...........

That's a freaky story though......

esco
08-27-2007, 04:44 PM
I only have ever used Mobil 1 and bosch filters reguarly. I cant decide between the 2. I have tried the k&n in my integra, just to test. didnt really last as well.

SouthBayGSR
08-27-2007, 04:47 PM
There was a post on evoM about a website some while back that compared about 15 or more oil filters. They ended up finding that the FRAM usescheap glue and paper fell apart faster than any of the others. Quality and filtration was the worst. Some of the better to choose besides OEM (which most probably use) is the WIX filters, mobile 1 (rated the highest if I remember right), and believe it or not NAPA gold were rated as some of the best.

nightwalker
08-27-2007, 09:12 PM
My car has never, ever shuddered again since I replace that damn filter. I know for a fact it was the filter. I've started my car right up no problems in -5 degree weather with the wix filters.

Napa gold is WIX. We use them here at the shop. All they do is put a different skin on the filters, then they use the WIX part number and add their extension to it.

crctslt
08-27-2007, 09:21 PM
There was a post on evoM about a website some while back that compared about 15 or more oil filters. They ended up finding that the FRAM usescheap glue and paper fell apart faster than any of the others. Quality and filtration was the worst. Some of the better to choose besides OEM (which most probably use) is the WIX filters, mobile 1 (rated the highest if I remember right), and believe it or not NAPA gold were rated as some of the best.

You hit the nail on the head.

bricel24
08-27-2007, 09:41 PM

wow, thanks for the info. i'll avoid the fram filters from now on. good thing though i don't use it very often (i use OEM sometimes, whenever Rod has 'em :lol:).

:)

joshesh
08-27-2007, 09:45 PM
I have used OEM and then K&N and now I have a Mobile 1 filter. Walmart has the Mobil1 filter for 10 bucks or less i think, and 5 qts of mobil 1 oil for 20.

Sfkn2
08-27-2007, 09:50 PM
For some reason, I was thinking that WIX filters are "el cheapos". But okay, I will go with OEM next time.

UCB, which website sells those filters for that price?

Lurk
08-27-2007, 10:00 PM
WIX actually makes pretty good filters. Can't go wrong with OEM though.

A lot of people bash Fram, but Fram actually makes OEM oil filters for a quite a few car manufactures.

Sfkn2
08-27-2007, 10:02 PM

A lot of people bash Fram, but Fram actually makes OEM oil filters for a quite a few car manufactures.

That is correct. Fram makes Honda OEM filters now, I believe.

Ben
08-27-2007, 10:03 PM
I noticed people mentioning that Mobil 1 filters are $10 at Walmart? Why not get an OEM one for the same price at the dealer? This is a vital fluid for your engine why not play it safe?

steevo8
08-27-2007, 10:16 PM
lncrevoviii where the heck are you getting 5quarts of Royal Purple for $30? I usually pay around 45-50.

Lurk
08-27-2007, 10:18 PM

Yup, except for the S2K filter which is made by Toyo Roki. My friends with Hondas all prefer to use that filter.

Sfkn2
08-27-2007, 10:20 PM
I noticed people mentioning that Mobil 1 filters are $10 at Walmart? Why not get an OEM one for the same price at the dealer? This is a vital fluid for your engine why not play it safe?

Because Mobil1 > OEM. :p

Mister_Pants
08-27-2007, 10:25 PM
As someone who was in the parts biz for over 10 years I can honestly say that WIX filters are of excellent quality and you should not worry at all about running one. But...WIX filters are a little bit more expensive than most filters out there, but cut one open and you'll see why. As for myself...I use OEM filters, I like the OEM's... they come with the top sealed against debris and the gasket has a lubricant on it already. That and I was lucky to catch them on sale at one of the dealerships, think it was a 2 for 1 offer or something but I stocked up!

Mister_Pants
08-27-2007, 10:29 PM

Yup, except for the S2K filter which is made by Toyo Roki. My friends with Hondas all prefer to use that filter.

Probably for the same reason why I didn't run WIX on my Integra GSR, the WIX filter had so much media in it that it caused a little bit more of a pressure drop than OEM...and like most Honda engines my GSR had low oil pressure at idle (compared to the EVO or the last motor I built for my Camaro) so most people use a filter that has less of a pressure drop just because those motors don't have much pressure at idle to start with.

G-Lo408
08-27-2007, 10:35 PM
Go info to know about Fram. I just changed my oil today, next time I will use OEM

XVeloX
08-27-2007, 10:36 PM
I've used a Fram now and then (not my first choice but sometimes its all i can get at the time). I run Redline oil, and havent had a problem with the oil filter yet. I have heard that while running a fram, DEFINITELY change your oil as soon as you hit 3000 miles, definitely dont go over 5000 or so. I have heard amazing things about Wix except for their price tag. K&N are decent but still pricey and hang low. OEM is probably one of the best bets, gonna order a handful, as well as crush washers to stock up. I dunno thought, might grab a Wix here and there just to make sure.

Anyone have P/N for the crush washers? Even better would be in the pack of 10?

PANGES
08-27-2007, 10:41 PM
I checked my oil today and it was at the lower dot, so I figured that maybe I should give it an oil change. I usually get mobil1 oil over at Walmart in the east bay since they're about $25 for 5 quarts, and I'd use an OEM oil filter (on my S2000.. for free, since I worked at Honda).

I went to Kragen today to pick up some oil. I looked through one of the sites.. maybe Evolutionm.net or whatever, and saw that it was 4.6 qts for an oil change. I bought 5 quarts of Mobil1 with a Mobil1 oil filter, as I could not find a Fram filter for this car.

5 qts of Mobil1 oil at $6.50 a quart = $32.50
Mobil 1 oil filter = $11.99
8.5% sales tax = $3.78

Total = 48.28

I'm guessing you guys buy oil filters for a lot less than that, especially if you have to change it between oil changes. Where do you guys get them?

Wow... If you paid 48.28, you might as have just paid Speed Element to do it. They charge $50 for the oil change including the oil and filter. lol.

Mister_Pants
08-27-2007, 10:45 PM
50 to 55 is basically what you pay a shop to do it...IIRC I think even the dealer at one point charged 55 for an oil change. Or maybe it was 75....I dunno need more beer :D

oneillevo
08-27-2007, 10:45 PM
I usually use a Nippon filter from Japan $6.99 and Mobile 1 10w-30. Which burned through pretty fast. The Nippon filter had a cardboard elment.

This oil change I went with a Denso filter ($6.99) and Amsoil 10w-30. So far it is awesome. Everytime I check my oil level the oil is consistent in color and almost always the same place it was then the last time I checked. The oil is not at all so dark. My next oil change I will try the Denso filter with Royal Purple. But from now on I am going to try to stick to this Denso filter.

crctslt
08-27-2007, 11:02 PM

wow, thanks for the info. i'll avoid the fram filters from now on. good thing though i don't use it very often (i use OEM sometimes, whenever Rod has 'em :lol:).

Ok but how do you get them out of his butt? :P

XVeloX
08-27-2007, 11:03 PM
What's the P/N for the Wix filter as well. Somewhere i found that it's WIX 57092. Correct or no?

crctslt
08-27-2007, 11:19 PM
here ya go

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1434089&parttype=5340&a=FRc1434089k488900

airforce1
08-27-2007, 11:25 PM
I use the OEM filter...its sold online for $4.60

Can you tell me where? Thanks!!!

Sfkn2
08-27-2007, 11:34 PM
Hm, you guys like the WIX filter? It's a lot bigger than the Mobil1 filter that I picked up today.

nightwalker
08-27-2007, 11:52 PM
Did you get the thick and short filter, or the long and thin filter? Because the long and thin filter is for a lancer, not the EVO.

Something else to keep in mind when you go buy aftermarket filters, if they give you a long skinny filter and say that it's the right one, stay away from them. The companies who know, know that the evo needs different oil pressure and build an EVO specific filter. If you go to buy a FRAM, they give you the same filter for the lancer and the EVO.

Sfkn2
08-27-2007, 11:55 PM
Did you get the thick and short filter, or the long and thin filter? Because the long and thin filter is for a lancer, not the EVO.

Something else to keep in mind when you go buy aftermarket filters, if they give you a long skinny filter and say that it's the right one, stay away from them. The companies who know, know that the evo needs different oil pressure and build an EVO specific filter. If you go to buy a FRAM, they give you the same filter for the lancer and the EVO.

Oh shit... I got the long and skinny one. I even looked in the booklet for it.. says FI 4 cylinder TURBO, that's why I grabbed it. I think the model number was M110?

crctslt
08-28-2007, 12:06 AM
USE OEM!!!!!1111one

Ben
08-28-2007, 12:25 AM

Because Mobil1 > OEM. :p

Because someone told you?

bricel24
08-28-2007, 12:30 AM

Ok but how do you get them out of his butt? :P

it's OEM, so it's pre-lubricated. he has no problem getting them out :lol:

*stressed evo guy*
08-28-2007, 12:40 AM
lubricated with what?........... butt juice?......

Ben
08-28-2007, 12:46 AM
^ What's that made of? Can I use it in the Evo?

Mister_Pants
08-28-2007, 12:56 AM
^ it's made from real butts!