PDA

View Full Version : PSI_Direct Boost Control First Test

EFIxMR
09-08-2007, 05:22 PM
As some of you know, there has been a recent development for ECUFlash and ECU boost control w/ the addition of the JDM map sensor.

By modifying the ROM, ECUFlash tuners now have the capability to impliment the JDM map sensor into the stock ECU without any adverse effects.

This mod allows you to do a few things, one of which is monitor your boost via EVOscan or Mitsulogger without any additional piggyback hardware or wire splicing.Â* This creates an integrated datalogging system which is very easy to use.

JDM map sensor and EVOscan in action.

http://www.evolutionmr.net/img/images/dynocharts/aug/jdmmap.jpg

Secondly, by adding the JDM map sensor with additional ROM modifications, ECUFlash users now have the capability of tuning their boost control using the JDM map sensor as its primary load source.Â* This promises to be an easier and more accurate way to tune ECU boost control, as the factory method is based on an esoteric calculated load (consisting of the MAF, AIT, ect).

JDM map sensor and PSI mod logged in EVOscan

http://www.evolutionmr.net/img/images/dynocharts/aug/jdmpsi.jpg

My initial impression of this new system is that although the actual performance isn't head and shoulders above the factory system, it should prove easier to tune for people who aren't intimately familiar with ECUFlash.Â*

A screen shot of the boost parameters

http://www.evolutionmr.net/img/images/dynocharts/aug/psi_bcs.jpg

As you can see, these increments are much more familiar compared to those of the factory boost system.

This is how they match up on the dyno

http://www.evolutionmr.net/img/images/dynocharts/aug/psi_300ab.JPG

Our test car is our shop EVO9 and even after 400+ dyno runs our car remains strong.Â* The focus of my tuning this session was to make the powerband as broad as possible.Â* This new tune has slightly less peak power than my previous tuning session, but my current theory is that a small detune may yield better real world acceleration.Â* The boost curve is custom and the taper is by design, optimized to my specifications.Â*

http://www.evolutionmr.net/img/images/dynocharts/aug/psi_300.JPG

atlvalet
09-08-2007, 06:09 PM
What happens to this system with altitude changes? Say I start off at 1000 feet of elevation and then make my way down to the beach (or vice versa). Will I constantly have to recalibrate the MAP sensor? I know that even leaving my house to go to where I log my car there is a decent enough change in elevation that I need to recalibrate my MAP sensor for EvoScan logging (14.123 where I live vs. 14.22 where I log my car).

UCB
09-08-2007, 06:16 PM
Yes, you would have to recalibrate it, but thats usually what th bdels are for, also to account for different temps/gears/etc

nightwalker
09-08-2007, 06:17 PM
This setup uses factory sensors, so it should be able to compensate for elevation, right?

atlvalet
09-08-2007, 06:20 PM
Gotcha.

EFIxMR
09-09-2007, 12:33 AM
Drove the car home tonight and the car feels great. Although the dyno chart doesn't show much difference, the throttle response is heightened and the midrange is noticeably improved.

Evo9R
09-09-2007, 12:36 AM
NICE :)

mygsx
09-09-2007, 12:46 AM
how much do jdm map sensors cost?
:P

EFIxMR
09-09-2007, 12:53 AM
check the vendor section Cal has an ad running in there.

player67
09-09-2007, 01:03 AM
wow thats sick!

mygsx
09-09-2007, 02:14 AM
thanks andy i will

Evo442
09-09-2007, 06:55 AM
It looks like you've built in a bit of a boost taper into your map. Can the system hold boost till redline if the map is programmed differently?

EFIxMR
09-09-2007, 11:30 AM
It can hold to about 22 psi at 7500, but that is really running the turbo out of its efficiency range.

earlyapex aka jack ass
09-10-2007, 08:40 PM
Yes, you would have to recalibrate it, but thats usually what th bdels are for, also to account for different temps/gears/etc

No bdel with this system. WGDC, target boost and error correction. Think of error correction as your different gears/temps/atmos correction now. Which it also was before as well. This is much like how the factory Subaru boost system is designed.

What happens to this system with altitude changes? Say I start off at 1000 feet of elevation and then make my way down to the beach (or vice versa). Will I constantly have to recalibrate the MAP sensor? I know that even leaving my house to go to where I log my car there is a decent enough change in elevation that I need to recalibrate my MAP sensor for EvoScan logging (14.123 where I live vs. 14.22 where I log my car).

Yes, the system will theoretically boost less when atmos is less than 14.7 (sea level) and will theoretically boost more when atmos is above 14.7. However, in higher elevations, there is less air so theoretically it will have a hard time boosting more.

Of course, this means that error correction is even more important to dial in correctly now.

btw, nice work Andy, I told you that you would enjoy it. ;)

XVeloX
09-10-2007, 08:45 PM
Does this work well with the GM solenoid? Or just stock w/ pill or...???

I know you said slightly less power andy, but it looks to me like it is much easier to tune this way since there is less playing with things to "trick" the ECU on occasion to get a nice smooth boost curve.

earlyapex aka jack ass
09-10-2007, 08:46 PM
Yes it works with the GM solenoid as well. :)

BUDLoNG
09-11-2007, 10:04 PM
Yes, the system will theoretically boost less when atmos is less than 14.7 (sea level) and will theoretically boost more when atmos is above 14.7. However, in higher elevations, there is less air so theoretically it will have a hard time boosting more.

Providing you are calibrated at sealevel, unless you are driving below sea level, you shouldn't have any fear of overboosting at any other elevation, correct? Calibration would only be nessesary if you need the power.

just wanna make sure i'm understanding

BUDLoNG

player67
09-11-2007, 10:49 PM
Hmmm this is really cool...

PANGES
09-17-2007, 12:43 PM
I finally got around to reading this thread. lol. Seems really cool.

spoolin
09-17-2007, 08:26 PM

I know you said slightly less power andy, but it looks to me like it is much easier to tune this way since there is less playing with things to "trick" the ECU on occasion to get a nice smooth boost curve.

Rubbish.
I love tricking my ECU. It's like gullible!! Mine is definitley not the sharpest tool in the shed. What it doesnt know won't hurt it!

atlvalet
09-17-2007, 08:30 PM

Rubbish.
I love tricking my ECU. It's like gullible!! Mine is definitley not the sharpest tool in the shed. What it doesnt know won't hurt it!

SKULLDUGGERY!!!

XVeloX
09-17-2007, 08:35 PM

Rubbish.

rofl, ya it's my favorite. Specially when you can hear the wastegate flutter in 5th gear lol...

EFIxMR
09-17-2007, 08:40 PM
My car is making less power because I purposely turned it down. It's not due to the new boost mods to the ECU. With the system on full boil, my car made 313.9 whp on pump.

spoolin
09-17-2007, 08:46 PM

Rubbish.

rofl, ya it's my favorite. Specially when you can hear the wastegate flutter in 5th gear lol...

your mom has wastegate flutter in every gear. P3WND

atlvalet
09-17-2007, 08:58 PM

Wow, nothing like an Internet verbal assault/sucker-punch in the still of the night.

XVeloX
09-17-2007, 09:35 PM

Wow, nothing like an Internet verbal assault/sucker-punch in the still of the night.

ask him how his Accounting test went :wink:

nah man we're best buds, actually im at his house right now while he is doin stats homework lol.

atlvalet
09-17-2007, 10:38 PM

ask him how his Accounting test went :wink:

nah man we're best buds, actually im at his house right now while he is doin stats homework lol.

I figured you guys knew each other...was just playing around 8)

spoolin
09-17-2007, 10:58 PM
Just ask how kits dyno graphs look with his "aweosme tune".

XVeloX
09-17-2007, 11:03 PM
lol, back on topic here...

Just ask how kits dyno graphs look with his "aweosme tune".

my curves should be much smoother if i am able to incorporate this new tuning via JDM MAP sensor... plus last time i was dyno'd/tuning with bryan my car wasn't really happy with that HFC, looks about as dense as stock...

spoolin
09-17-2007, 11:07 PM
True. your WGDC's and BDEL's have never been happy. In fact they seem to argue all the time.

ANYWAY- ya it seems the JDM map sensor shoudl be much easier to harness... takes a lot of guesswork out of tuning boost.

tsmithr1
01-01-2008, 04:38 PM
got tuned by andy last week. he worked his magic and the car was pounding out 313tq and 304whpish peak, but he turned it down a little so the tq and power would hold longer in the rpm range instead of just falling off. Car feels awesome andy. Thanks!

EFIxMR
01-01-2008, 07:20 PM
Glad you are happy!

willitas34
01-05-2008, 03:06 AM
got tuned by andy last week. he worked his magic and the car was pounding out 313tq and 304whpish peak, but he turned it down a little so the tq and power would hold longer in the rpm range instead of just falling off. Car feels awesome andy. Thanks!

Can't wait to get my toone :D 19th Andy ;)

silvrEVOIXnSoCal
06-26-2008, 01:52 PM
couple question reguarding this psi direct boost controll...Â* I am considering doing this mod...
1.Â* Once I make the definition mods, and I can see the new tables, do I need to delete the old "BDEL", "BCLO", or do I just leave them as is?Â* What do I do w/ the old tables?Â*
2.Â* I just read that this can be done w/ the stock BCS, but was told by my tuner that "its not consistant w/ the stock BCS". Bryan or Andy, can you chime in and verify this please?

silvrEVOIXnSoCal
06-30-2008, 11:12 PM
guys...