PDA

View Full Version : Where should I begin modding?

Sfkn2
09-10-2007, 01:01 PM
First of all, no visual mods. I want my car to remain as stock and as stealthy as I can, which eliminates the idea of picking up an aftermarket exhaust as well. I decided not to use the money from the S2000 to put a downpayment on the Evo. I want to pick up some mods, but don't know where to start. Suggestions!

-Charlie

Lurk
09-10-2007, 01:05 PM
I suggest you start off with suspension mods first and learn how to drive your car well, rather than just adding power. I think a tune + good suspension would make for a pretty fun car that won't scream "pull me over"!

Sfkn2
09-10-2007, 01:10 PM
I don't want to do suspension yet because that somewhat falls into the visual mods category. Besides, it's nice driving a 4x4 for now. :)

Lurk
09-10-2007, 01:16 PM
^Unless you plan on keeping the car stock looking forever, what difference does it make? And besides, even if you do get pulled over for something "visual", your engine will still be stock so theres nothing a cop can do anyways.

Fa-Q
09-10-2007, 01:23 PM
1.) brake pads
2.) steel braided brake lines
3.) track time

if you want, 4.) short shifter.

Sfkn2
09-10-2007, 01:27 PM
^Unless you plan on keeping the car stock looking forever, what difference does it make? And besides, even if you do get pulled over for something "visual", your engine will still be stock so theres nothing a cop can do anyways.

The difference is that the wife gets to yell at me when she knows that I started spending money on mods, rather than continue to save it for our house. She probably wouldn't check our bank account unless she sees that I've spent money on something.

RSV
09-10-2007, 01:29 PM

The difference is that the wife gets to yell at me when she knows that I started spending money on mods, rather than continue to save it for our house. She probably wouldn't check our bank account unless she sees that I've spent money on something.

Your first mod should be a shorter leash for the wife, before you start buying car parts.

:lol: jk

cezber23
09-10-2007, 01:56 PM
suspension then turbo back exhaust. never put BLOW OFF VALVE!!!! you will just lose power.

EFIxMR
09-10-2007, 02:05 PM
I would do a drop in hks filter, gm boost control solenoid, tune, and a RRE rally cat.

You will see about 30-40 whp gains at the wheels, while remaining stock in appearance and sound.

Positron
09-10-2007, 02:12 PM
I would do a drop in hks filter, gm boost control solenoid, tune, and a RRE rally cat.

You will see about 30-40 whp gains at the wheels, while remaining stock in appearance and sound.

+1

cezber23
09-10-2007, 02:17 PM

+1
nice+1

BOOSTX2
09-10-2007, 02:19 PM
+69 (What Andy said....)

Sfkn2
09-10-2007, 02:22 PM

Exactly the type of answer I'm looking for! Thanks Andy!

If I were to go catless rather than getting the rally cat, will my car be a lot louder? I was thinking that I should go catless since I don't have to smog my car for a few years.

MeeH LuCky IX
09-10-2007, 02:26 PM
Wasup Man! Downpipe, Rally Cat, Drop In, Fuel Pump, Custom Tune = Super Stealth and good power

MeeH LuCky IX
09-10-2007, 02:28 PM
RallyCat is a stealth test pipe it's a testpipe with the heat shields

BOOSTX2
09-10-2007, 02:29 PM
Actually its a resonated test pipe w/heatsheilds.. FTW!!

SilverStreak
09-10-2007, 03:51 PM
I actually took a similar route to what you are taking.

I opted to go Andy's suggested route (sort of).

Put in a drop in filter, boost controller in terms of performance/engine mods.
It's more than enough for a DD and a night and day difference from stock. Actual numbers are in my sig.

I would also consider a drop as well. Swift / Works / Tanabe springs don't slam your ride. It still leaves a gap...but just makes the car "look" better. They don't slam your ride either so its relatively streetable (I scrape on poorly made driveways).

With the current setup I have...the mod bug has for the most part subsided...though I could go for rims when I'm financially capable of doing so.

trinydex
09-11-2007, 08:16 AM
RallyCat is a stealth test pipe it's a testpipe with the heat shields
it's actually a resonator... at least the one from rre

http://www.norcalevo.net/forum/index.php/topic,21524.0.html