PDA

View Full Version : Got a ticket... and also modified exhaust ... chp memo work

Whooopasss
09-15-2004, 09:34 AM
So last night I was at 101 on Redwood City going south bound at about 9:45 p.m.. I was on the fast lane and was boxed in by several cars running 65 and a car was right behind me for a good 15 minutes. As I was not comfortable with the situation (thinking the car at my rear wanted to pass), I opted to move to the right lane, as I did I accelerated to get over the car on my right lane to give him room. As I did, CHP was on me. This was at night so I can’t make out the car behind me. AS this shows, the CHP guy was tailing me for a few miles waiting for me to commit murder. So I pulled over and the conversation went like:

Cop: You know why I pulled you over.
Me: No
Cop: Reckless driving and speeding
Me: I used my turn signal to merge right.
Cop: yes you did but the car behind you and slam on his brakes.
Me: then I’m not speeding, he is.
Cop: Do you know how fast you were going.
Me. 75
Cop: clocked you at 85
At this point I dint want to argue

This guy was Asian probably 24y.
Then he goes
Cop: So you have a boost gauge, air fuel controller and a modified exhaust.. pop your hood and I did
Cop: you also have a boost controller
Me: So you are a car enthusiast your self and know what to look for.
Cop: But I keep in to the track.

Cop: Your exhaust is too loud, that is illegal..
Me: Pull out the CHP bulletin and hand it over to him “according to this it is not”
Cop reads the memo: You can’t have an AFC and a boost gauge
Me: Boost gauge came stock from Mitsubishi
Cop: Well your AFC is illegal
Me: Give me a break man
Cop: I’ll just give you a ticket for speeding.

www.ticketassassin.com here I come!!!

At this point, I still dont hate cops.. they are just doing there job.. most of them.. but this guy was a true hatter..

DB8GSR
09-15-2004, 09:58 AM
wait.. so did he wrote you up for the exhaust too?

Man, still that sux to hear he wrote you up for speeding. From what I've been told, watch out every month on the 15th and 30th.. towards the end of the month. I think those are their deadlines for their quota. :?

EvoVIII
09-15-2004, 10:00 AM
aiiiiii thats gay, glad u didn't have a Intake in ur car, other wise he will be bitching at u and tow ur car away

warpspeed
09-15-2004, 10:01 AM
That guys is an idiot. It is not illegal to have a boost gauge on a car. The boost gauge just monitors your motor when on boost. It doesn't have to do with anything when it comes to enhancement of the motor but your AFC does. :wink: That is why he didn't give you one for that because he knows that it will not hold up in court. Also you have to watch out for these young cops. They are the one that used to be picked on when they were in school so this is their payback to us. They are on a power trip. :x

Whooopasss
09-15-2004, 10:40 AM
No he dint give me a ticket for the exhaust.. he cant.

I just wanted to go "so.. you think your kung-Fu is better than my Kung-Fu... I'll meet you at the shaolin Temple!!!!

xchoirboy
09-15-2004, 10:42 AM
sounds kinda similar ... on the way home yesterday doing about 60 traffic is not that bad. this sneaky ass had no roof lights pulls up next to me. he had to be watchin for awhile becuase there were no on ramps.

what kind of exhuast do you have?

V8KiLL3R
09-15-2004, 10:46 AM
that chp just dont have anything to do that night but to harass people like us. specially writting a ticket for guages? cmon and jesus christ was born yesterday too right? :)

ez76
09-15-2004, 10:59 AM
Can you post the link to that exhaust notice?

Whooopasss
09-15-2004, 11:22 AM
HKS

it was posted by warpspeed on here some time back.. here is the link to the original post http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1461&highlight=chp

thomas
09-15-2004, 05:02 PM
damn that sux mang...stupid cocky ignorant young bucks...they are on a serious power trip.

like they dont got anything else better to do than to scan for import car racers on the road. uh, how about getting drunk drivers off the street?

i hate chp like that. gives the rest of them a bad name.

there was this one time, the sac caravan was heading down to a meet for dyno day. at least 6-7 of us...pulled us over and had a "chat" with us re: our driving styles cause one evo wanted to weave in and out. i found that more educating than giving us f*cking tix for no front license plate.

good luck, foolio.

GokuSSJ4
09-15-2004, 05:56 PM
thats the funniest , the cop trying to give you a ticket for gauges :lol: sorry to hear about your speeding ticket :?

ace33joe
09-16-2004, 01:06 AM
Sorry to hear about the ticket.

"Boost gauge is illegal." is the funniest statement I have ever heard from a cop. Then how about a ricer with a voltemeter, an air temp gauge, and a hygrometer?

JanSolo
09-16-2004, 09:54 AM
I talked to my SJPD friend and he said the CHP officer was basically full of crap. BTW, none of these law enforcement guys seem to know that 95db is the limit. They don't even bother measuring asking or knowin the law - they simply ticket you for having an aftermarket exhaust. When I got messed with for my exhaust by the CHP, he stood in the middle of my car and had me rev. I had to politely inform him of the law he was attempting to enforce.

nebolic
09-16-2004, 10:21 AM
dude, you should have insisted that he give you a ticket for an Illegal Boost gauge. Holy crap that would've been so funny, take it to court and I bet you the cop and entire department will be reprimanded for it.

Nebo
:)

blueskies
09-16-2004, 10:21 AM
dude, that sucks. it would be so nice if this crap would just stop. if a boost gauge is illegal then it's illegal to have a speedometer, tech, temp, & fuel level that cars have.

how the hell do you not seem like a dick to the cop who has pulled you over, and inform him that it's okay to have this stuff? i'm nice, polite and respectful to police, but these instances seem insane. perhaps, just like at any job, it comes down to most know what they are doing and there are a few who don't.

ez76
09-16-2004, 11:13 AM
HKS

it was posted by warpspeed on here some time back.. here is the link to the original post http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1461&highlight=chp

thanks btw

toasty
09-16-2004, 12:52 PM
Maybe in the future, it is recommanded to get a db meter and a copy of the aftermarket exhuast law/policy in the glove.
Some how provide the evidence that your exhuast is within the law.

If 95db is the limit, ask why it is illegal when the CHP stop you for modified exhuast, and provide a show and tell. Just to make him or her to say "Oh", thank you for your time, I am sorry". <-- Yeah right , like that is going to ever happen.

Whooopasss
09-17-2004, 07:00 PM
Ha! I just checked my ticket once again, it says the ticket was "Executed in Belmont Ca. north of whipple" I got the ticket at Veterans Blvd Redwood City.. I'm going to win this!!!

toasty
09-20-2004, 12:25 PM
Good to hear, good luck !

Whooopasss
09-20-2004, 03:15 PM
Looks like I cant use the city thing... damn it!!

jondukes
09-20-2004, 10:28 PM
glad yall still have respect for CHP im about to become one and find all these situations of obvious harassment to be out of controll. they seem to all be informed of mods but some would wrather use that as a platform to set up hate instead of respect which i feel anyone that takes pride in his /her car deserves
im 21 and have no powertrip, i joined because i was headed down a very dark road and needed a serious reality check i would never harass anyone nor would i search for mods unless you were a complete ass (or STI owner j/k)
so i hope the harassment stops because every time one of you nice guys is being stopped there are probably about 4 drunk drivers that pass you, priorities right.peace
oh and ticket ass. (although is quite generalized does work wonders for basic tickets)

Matz
03-14-2005, 07:32 AM
aiiiiii thats gay, glad u didn't have a Intake in ur car, other wise he will be bitching at u and tow ur car away

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but is it really true that if some cops see that you have an aftermarket intake, they'll tow you??? That's outrageous!

mattbcool
03-14-2005, 02:41 PM
where can we get a copy of this chp memo?

vtluu
03-14-2005, 02:46 PM
where can we get a copy of this chp memo?
http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?ID=8133

EvoVIII
03-14-2005, 02:48 PM

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but is it really true that if some cops see that you have an aftermarket intake, they'll tow you??? That's outrageous!
yep they have the power to do so if they find you have illegal modification done to ur car

r6bruin
03-14-2005, 07:54 PM
That actually reminds me about another thread with an officer saying that 'any adjustable parts in the engine bay is illegal'... sometimes I am wondering how they come up with reasons of that sort.

Anyway, I used to got pissed and argue when I got tix, but recently I start to admit and play cool and guess what? I never got away with any tix when I argue but I do got a few lucky cases when I play cool.

Good luck!

Cop: So you have a boost gauge, air fuel controller and a modified exhaust.. pop your hood and I did
Cop: you also have a boost controller