PDA

View Full Version : Building up my Evo IX

NoCal707
09-13-2007, 04:27 AM
I just got an Evo IX and was going to get some work done to it from GST or Speed Element.
My List is:

GST boost assembly or MBC
Blitz drop-in air filter (possible changing to an GST open air filter or another brand of open air filter)
Apexi N1 Catback
Tanabe 2.75" Downpipe
Cobb Test pipe
Walbro Fuel Pump
RC 750cc injectors
Custom dyno tune
*Opinions on possibile switching out the stock intercooler would be helpful (Could I add this later without a tune?)*
Just wanted to know if anyone out there has a similiar setup like what Im going for or any opinions or whatever on my list. I'll post the dealer pics of my car when I get a chance.

***Pic of my car in my next post***

wzcx
09-13-2007, 06:38 AM
You really don't need an aftermarket intercooler with the stock turbo and a normal 91 tune. Don't bother unless you want it for the looks.

Tnastyevo8
09-13-2007, 07:22 AM
^ +1

steevo8
09-13-2007, 07:32 AM
IMO aftermarket fmic's are kind of under rated. Sure your not going to pick up much hp with it but from what I have seen(I could be wrong though) Â*its never going to negativly effect the power out put. On top of that I have seen people pick up a decent amount of power due to their car being overly sensative to boost and a aftermarket ic made it much easier to tune. Plus its going to be better/safer for your car because it will be less prone to detonation. With that said I would recomend the ets 3" fmic, the quality is great it fits without removing the crash beam, Bryan@gst I believe is actually running one on his personal car, and its cheap like under $500 shipped. Considering that most people on here have over $500 worth of useless carbon fiber crap hanging off their cars, I would say that more people should consider upgrading their ic.

BTW- get your car tuned after you upgrade your intercooler unless you can work something out with Bryan for a retune.

superman37r1
09-13-2007, 07:37 AM
When I put my Intercooler on I noticed a big low end torque and spoolup change...Car spooled up quicker because it was less restrictive imo...

NoCal707
09-13-2007, 09:47 AM
Here is a pic of my car.
http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/14127/2448095744_226362822_IM1_MAIN_565x421_A_562x421.jp g
Thanks for your guys input, any other info/opinions on the other items I chose.

dl_EVO
09-15-2007, 05:50 PM
I like that big gray box window mod you got there. How much? Where can I get one? :lol:

NoCal707
09-16-2007, 07:36 AM
Its a custom made time space continum cyclic automatic window box thingy. I make them and since I am in a good mood, I'll sell one to you for $5! :D

turbosmurf02
09-16-2007, 12:46 PM
^^^easy big guy, itll be ok

whtrice
09-16-2007, 01:19 PM
None of us are "pounce proof" on here man. Everyone uses a twist of something different in their martini. Some are entry level...Some are advanced. This community trys to cater to all. Most the time if you search you will find. If you say you faithfully tried and still get pounced on then the FO key works well.Â* Â* :)

i know but still you all pounce on me when i ask for help finding a pdf install manual, i mean theres thousands of evo's with this set up seriusly how can you guys make the comments about me when i am trying to find a manual and heres a post about a tune mbc and exhaust. thats my point. but out here a jdm rear bumper gives you 50whp and fake carbon stickers and shit are even more.

PANGES
09-17-2007, 11:05 AM
So what's that big grey box on your window for? I'm curious. :D

NoCal707
09-18-2007, 05:55 AM
The pic was taken at the dealership so I am assuming its some kinda security thing.

Travisivart190
09-23-2007, 05:58 PM
Hey, Check out my thread. If your car is like mine, you should be producing a good ammount of power. Your mod list is very similar to mine. Comes complete with Dyno Charts :D
http://www.norcalevo.net/forum/index.php?topic=22005.new#new

NLR EVO
09-30-2007, 09:27 PM
Hey, Check out my thread. If your car is like mine, you should be producing a good ammount of power. Your mod list is very similar to mine. Comes complete with Dyno Charts :D
http://www.norcalevo.net/forum/index.php?topic=22005.new#new

Almost exactly what I have planned as soon as I pick mine up!! Very nice numbers..

Travisivart190
09-30-2007, 09:37 PM
Thanks, Essentially try to follow every recommendation your tuner has for you. He's the one who's done dozens of cars like yours, and can give you the best recommendation for your mod path.

1SloEvo
11-05-2008, 11:49 PM
Here's my opinion. You have a great mod list there. I would go with the GST boost assembly. That way if you want a race gas or E85 map, you don't have to worry about making sure the boost controller is dialed in exactly right for either tune. With the map switching mod, each tune is a flick of a button/switch away.

As for the injectors, go up to 1000s. They shouldn't be anymore on price, but allow you that extra room if you ever want an E85 tune. I don't think the 750s will do it on a 9 turbo with any descent amount of boost.

Open filter. Ask Bryan if he can do the stealth airbox mod for you. You can just build the stock airbox around the open element filter as a heat shield...plus you still get the function of the snorkel.

Be sure to throw a lower intercooler pipe to the list. It will make a pretty big difference. The new ETS version is the one I just ordered. It's a nice piece and they always fit really well.

Get some T-bolt clamps for the couplers. The little work clamps suck balls! And be sure to get GST to do a boost leak test prior to the tune!

Lastly, I'm a big fan of monitoring my cars operations. Nothing fancy, but I have a boost gauge and a wideband AFR gauge just to keep an eye on things. :thumbsup:

steevo8
11-05-2008, 11:54 PM
hey brandon, you do realize that your commenting on a post thats over a year old right? I doubt this dude is still around.

Lucky13Evo
11-06-2008, 12:17 AM
oh steevo, you know the guy has been waiting didlingetly in front of his comp for the last year waiting for a couple more responses.lol

1SloEvo
11-06-2008, 09:01 AM
hey brandon, you do realize that your commenting on a post thats over a year old right? I doubt this dude is still around.

well, damn it...if someone is new and is scanning over it, it will help them. but i must say, dates definitely PWNED me on his one!! :lol:

whtrice
11-06-2008, 05:56 PM
OG caught ya..HaHaHa...pwned

well, damn it...if someone is new and is scanning over it, it will help them. but i must say, dates definitely PWNED me on his one!! :lol:

1SloEvo
11-06-2008, 06:44 PM
yeah...i was busted!! :(