PDA

View Full Version : when do i need to change clutch???

cezber23
09-17-2007, 08:46 PM
i just always drive normal, i don't take my care to any track. when do i change clutch ??? i got 37,000 miles on it.

earlyapex aka jack ass
09-17-2007, 08:51 PM
Usually people change them when they start slipping. However some do it as preventive maintenance. Just depends on what you what to do.

cezber23
09-17-2007, 09:00 PM
how can i tell is slipping??? and what kin dof brand do you recommend???

BOOSTX2
09-17-2007, 09:22 PM
When your clutch is slipping your car will rev abnormally when you accelerate thru
a gear.. For example a third gear pull to redline your car will seem to rev but not
pull or acell like it should..
Beware if you get the exedy stage-1 its got a real heavy pedal & has loud sound
effects just to make you aware..
Other than that it works & grabs gr8..I think the ACT does it all quietly..

cezber23
09-17-2007, 09:43 PM
When your clutch is slipping your car will rev abnormally when you accelerate thru
a gear.. For example a third gear pull to redline your car will seem to rev but not

my 3rd gear pulls really good. soo its not yet time for me to change it. thanks for the advice!

XVeloX
09-17-2007, 09:54 PM

my 3rd gear pulls really good. soo its not yet time for me to change it. thanks for the advice!

another common test (while this may not be the "best" for your motor) is to have the car idling, put the parking brake on, put it into 4th gear, and let the clutch out. If it dies immediately, you're fine, but if it takes a second to die or doesnt, you clutch is toast.

Another way to see if you are getting close is if your clutch bites at the very top of the pedal, and has been fully adjusted...

BOOSTX2
09-17-2007, 10:08 PM

another common test (while this may not be the "best" for your motor) is to have the car idling, put the parking brake on, put it into 4th gear, and let the clutch out. If it dies immediately, you're fine, but if it takes a second to die or doesnt, you clutch is toast.

Another way to see if you are getting close is if your clutch bites at the very top of the pedal, and has been fully adjusted...

The first test you mention my car died with the pedal half way out.. tried it twice and
two outa two times it killed the motor when the pedal was about half way out..
Yet my clutch was furnaced it would slip badly anything past 5 or so psi
BTW that was my stock clutch with 57k miles on it..

mtsevovii
09-17-2007, 10:11 PM
i changed my clutch cause it made me feel better :p hahaha

my stock clutch is still in great shape. but then again its only got 15k on it.

good to have it as backup.

XVeloX
09-17-2007, 10:20 PM

The first test you mention my car died with the pedal half way out.. tried it twice and
two outa two times it killed the motor when the pedal was about half way out..
Yet my clutch was furnaced it would slip badly anything past 5 or so psi
BTW that was my stock clutch with 57k miles on it..

well 2 things... mine started slipping in 5th gear with anything over half throttle, then it got worse and worse.. So that method was after bad slipping. Oh did i mention i was on my way to the drags when it first started? Then continued to drag the car that night... LOL. i think i was running ~14.6 bone stock haha

Second, i would say this test probably works better with cars that have a bit more lowend torque lol.

However if you try this with a fresh clutch vs one that is on it's way out, there are definitely subtle differences. And it depends on how fast your drop the clutch, etc, etc... I like the 5th gear test the best, just roll onto the throttle, you'll know when it slips lol