PDA

View Full Version : Group buy: Evo RS trunk bars, $33

vtluu
09-20-2004, 09:02 AM
Hey everybody, I've got a group purchase price lined up for the Evo trunk bar (rear floor crossmember): $33 OTD! Includes attachment hardware (bolts, washers). Improves handling by stiffening the rear of the car. I called Capitol Mitsubishi and they want almost $50 for this (and do not have it in stock)!

Here's a photo: http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/album06/trunkbar.jpg

And install instructions at EvoM: http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=91465

Can we get (at least) 10 buyers in on this? Reply or PM me if interested!

1. vtluu
2. kimmievo
3. EvoVIII
4. gaughtboost
5. ace33joe
6. ob4
7. marksae
8. jaytan
9. garrick70
10. BluEvo
11. EVO_GRIM
12. jomama
13. WORKS
14. WORKS!
15. WORKS!! :)
(List is now closed!)

Payment will be due at delivery (I'm trusting you, so don't rip me off, or I will sic the NorCalEvo enforcers on you ;)); payment methods accepted are cash, check/money order, PayPal (cash transaction, or add $1 for credit card). If you want me to send you the item, I'm guess-timating shipping cost at $3, certainly no more than $5.

Evo8andahalf
09-20-2004, 09:37 AM
cool, where are these coming from?

JanSolo
09-20-2004, 10:14 AM
Stevens Creek Mitsu sells them for 36$ with the bolts.

kimmievo
09-20-2004, 10:46 AM
Hey Tam, put me down for one. Thanks!

EvoVIII
09-20-2004, 11:24 AM
put me down Thank you

vtluu
09-20-2004, 11:58 AM
cool, where are these coming from?
mitsubishipartsstore.com; they're out of state somewhere, don't remember (and don't really care ;)) where. They supplied the cabin air filters for that group buy.

I'm told that Stevens Creek Mitsu doesn't have the parts in stock either, otherwise I'd say screw it and just pay the extra $3 to get it right away. :) This price discrepancy is strange because Stevens Creek and Capitol Mitsu are under the same ownership.

gaughtboost
09-20-2004, 12:49 PM
i want in.

ace33joe
09-20-2004, 02:58 PM
I want one, Thanks!

ob4
09-20-2004, 03:04 PM
Hi Tam,

Count me in too.

Thanks,
Terry

MarkSAE
09-20-2004, 03:08 PM
Count me in!

ace33joe
09-20-2004, 03:09 PM
Now, I am evolved. :)

vtluu
09-20-2004, 03:28 PM
Now, I am evolved. :)
Congratulations! :lol: (Yes, I know, gratuitous bump.)

jaytan
09-20-2004, 04:44 PM
count me in please . but how can i pay to you ??

BluEvo
09-20-2004, 05:01 PM
tam, when do you need the money by?

vtluu
09-20-2004, 05:06 PM
Added payment details to first post. :)

10 is the minimum (actually 9 is okay too), if you want one and you already see 10 names, that's fine. But I'm going to finalize the order tomorrow morning so as not to keep everybody waiting, so act now!

EVO GRIM
09-20-2004, 06:29 PM
I'll take one tam. Get you on the next auto cross.

vtluu
09-20-2004, 07:01 PM
I'll take one tam. Get you on the next auto cross.
That's this Sunday; I'll be there but I'm not sure we'll have the trunk bars by then. BTW you know this will bump you out of Stock class right? (I won't tell. ;))

jomama
09-20-2004, 07:16 PM
tam, i would like one also, can you put me on the list.

thanks, joe

EVO GRIM
09-20-2004, 08:14 PM
Can't make sunday. when is the next one?

vtluu
09-20-2004, 08:16 PM
Can't make sunday. when is the next one?
Oct. 10 in Atwater I think, but I'll be doing a track event at Reno-Fernley. Don't worry, we'll work something out.

Jamie@WORKS
09-21-2004, 09:48 AM
Put three more down for the WORKS crew :)

vtluu
09-21-2004, 10:21 AM
Thanks Jamie, WORKS is on the list and the group buy is now closed and I'm in the process of finalizing the order! Sorry to anybody who missed out, let me know if you want me to put your name down in case someone on the list cancels their order.

vtluu
09-22-2004, 08:45 AM
Update: placed the order over the phone yesterday. Josh over there told me they should have them by Monday so hopefully I'll have them by late next week.

kimmievo
09-22-2004, 09:27 AM
Thanks Tam for organizing the group buy! Can't wait to get my trunk bar!

MarkSAE
09-22-2004, 12:42 PM
Yep, props to Tam for setting up this group buy!

vtluu
09-30-2004, 06:03 PM
Update: asked Josh for an update today, he said that apparently 2 of the trunk bars and 5 of the bolts (no kidding) are on backorder. :( I've asked him to ship us what he has, and the people who signed up first on the list will get theirs first.

Sorry about the delay, even if it is totally out of my hands...

RonV
09-30-2004, 07:29 PM
Tam, do you have one of these?

vtluu
09-30-2004, 08:12 PM
Nope, I'm waiting for mine just like everybody else. :)

vtluu
10-06-2004, 02:48 PM
This just in from Josh (the supplier):

I finally received an eta on the backordered cross bars I probably will not see them till the end of this month or begining of next month so I will ship you what I have and ship the rest when I get them in.
So that means we should have 13 of the 15 soon, hopefully early next week. They'll go to the first 13 on the list (meaning WORKS, you will initially get 1 of your 3).

Sorry again about the delay...

500whp
10-06-2004, 04:50 PM
hey do u have a part # for that?

vtluu
10-14-2004, 08:09 PM
They are finally here! (They were shipped to the wrong address so it took a few days to get forwarded here. :roll:)

http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/album191/trunkbars.jpg

I'll be out of town this weekend but I can start distributing them Monday. WORKS, I will bring one to the rallycross at THill so you'll get yours first--just in time! ;)

500whp
10-14-2004, 08:19 PM
Do u have a part # for that?

garrick70
10-14-2004, 08:19 PM
They are finally here! (They were shipped to the wrong address so it took a few days to get forwarded here. :roll:)

I'll be out of town this weekend but I can start distributing them Monday. WORKS, I will bring one to the rallycross at THill so you'll get yours first--just in time! ;)

Should I send you the paypal payment now!

EvoVIII
10-14-2004, 08:31 PM
zzzzZzzzZzzZzzZZzz I almost fogot about them....

twEeker
10-14-2004, 11:13 PM
Damn, I wish I'd seen this post back in september.....

BluEvo
10-14-2004, 11:47 PM
we should definetly do a Monday meet then, so i can give u the cash up front. or i can meet you on Friday sometime after work. i get off at 5:30pm. pm me if thats cool.

vtluu
10-15-2004, 01:23 AM
Do u have a part # for that?
http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=18501#18501

vtluu
10-15-2004, 01:50 AM
Okay, I've PM'ed everybody on the list (except a couple people who've already replied to me) with the following message:

Evo RS trunk bars are finally here!

Trunk bars have finally come in! Once again, please accept my apologies for the delay, as they were (and continue to be) backordered from Mitsubishi.

Let's talk about how to get them into your hands. Here are a few options:
- You can pick it up from me starting next week, evenings or weekend (or possibly lunchtime if you're in the vicinity of Palo Alto);
- If you're nearby (in the South Bay or lower East Bay) I can deliver;
- I can hand it out at a Monday night meet this coming Monday (time and place to be announced in the forums shortly);
- I can ship it to you; from the USPS website I'm getting an approximate shipping cost of $4.
- You could arrange to have someone else pick it up on your behalf.

Let me know what works best for you.

Price comes out to $33 each; I accept cash, check or PayPal ([email protected]).

Please reply to me with how you want to work this out. If I don't see you or hear from you within a week, I'll let someone else take your place on the list and you'll have to wait for the next group buy to come along or pay full price at a dealership, so please get back to me as soon as possible...

Thanks!

rodw
10-15-2004, 08:17 AM
vtluu,

Any more left?

vtluu
10-15-2004, 08:37 AM
vtluu,

Any more left?
Sorry, I only ordered enough for the group buy, but if someone on the list cancels then there'll be one available. Anyhow it's a pretty inexpensive part, you can spend a few extra dollars to get it from a dealership or online.

warpspeed
10-15-2004, 08:57 AM
How strong is that bar? From the pics. it doesn't look that thick. How much does it flex (when installed) you grab it in the middle and pull it up and down?

vtluu
10-15-2004, 09:05 AM
How strong is that bar? From the pics. it doesn't look that thick. How much does it flex (when installed) you grab it in the middle and pull it up and down?
It's meant simply to reinforce the rear of the trunk; I don't know how much torsion (twisting) that part of the car gets, probably not a huge amount. It's made of aluminum or an aluminum alloy, feels pretty sturdy. Oh, and it's probably bigger than it looks in photos.

warpspeed
10-15-2004, 09:10 AM
I would like to check this on our next meet if you don't mind. Either you or one of our members who bought them. I want to compare it to the one I made.

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wNTU0NjYxNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

vtluu
10-19-2004, 01:01 AM
Put the trunk bar in tonight, would've been quick except I cut my finger while trimming the plastic cover to make room for the bar. :oops:

Basically I cut off the bottom part of the plastic cover (that goes over the middle part of the back of the trunk, around the trunk latch. I Trimmed the trunk lining a bit; I didn't have to take the lining out as I was able to pull it out of the way enough to trim it and get the bar bolted in. Also took a bit off the wooden/pressboard panel.

EvoVIII
10-19-2004, 01:28 AM
when can we get it??

vtluu
10-19-2004, 02:36 AM
when can we get it??
You missed your chance tonight (http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=29757#29757), PM me to make alternate arrangements.

BluEvo
10-24-2004, 06:26 PM
just picked up and installed mines today. fairly east install. took approximately 20 mins. used a box cutter on the rear plastic piece and just slipped the tip of the fiber board right under the trunk bar. fits nicely!
thanks tam for setting up the group buy.
T

ace33joe
11-09-2004, 03:33 AM
I haven't installed mine yet, but does any one feel the difference after installing the RS trunk bar?

Especially, Tam, any difference at AutoX? :)

vtluu
11-09-2004, 10:23 AM
Maybe I'm just not good enough a driver to notice an appreciable difference... Not to mention, it's not like I've had a chance to do a comparison test running a course a bunch of times with the bar and doing again without. Maybe if you had a super-consistent driver you could see measurable time/speed difference over a slalom course--but I'm not that kind of driver (yet).

The Evo is pretty solid as it is and what I've been told is that stiffening up the car further won't make a huge difference; I suspect it's one of those little things that when added up, contributes overall to handling. Certainly for applications like rallying where the car will get bounced around (and airborne) a lot it's important to strengthen the chassis every little bit; for "milder" stuff like autocrossing or road racing it's not nearly as critical, at least for someone of my caliber.

MarkSAE
11-09-2004, 07:57 PM
Tam,

Perhaps at your next auto-x you can do back to back runs. One with the bar, and one without.

ace33joe
11-10-2004, 01:28 AM
Thanks for your kind explanation. I totally agree with you.

I don't expect huge handling or stiffness difference by just adding one bar, either. However, because you are autocrossing, I thought you might feel more difference than normal daily driver. (Like rear feels more solid (Very subjective expression though. :) )

Anyhow, thanks again for your answer!

Maybe I'm just not good enough a driver to notice an appreciable difference... Not to mention, it's not like I've had a chance to do a comparison test running a course a bunch of times with the bar and doing again without. Maybe if you had a super-consistent driver you could see measurable time/speed difference over a slalom course--but I'm not that kind of driver (yet).

The Evo is pretty solid as it is and what I've been told is that stiffening up the car further won't make a huge difference; I suspect it's one of those little things that when added up, contributes overall to handling. Certainly for applications like rallying where the car will get bounced around (and airborne) a lot it's important to strengthen the chassis every little bit; for "milder" stuff like autocrossing or road racing it's not nearly as critical, at least for someone of my caliber.