PDA

View Full Version : Question about State Referee

O3ASEVO
09-24-2007, 10:04 PM
I got pulled over by CHP Friday night for modified exhaust and was given a sticker for the State ref. By the way this is the same damn lady that gave me a "tucked" license plate ticket on my bike. I dont think she likes me very much.

Anyway my question is, does the State Referee check everything or just what i was writen up for? My set up is works dp, works hfc, and espelir cat back exhaust. I know I am going to have to put the stock cat on, but will I need to put the stock exhaust on or do they just test sound? If they just test sound I'll keep my Espelir on.

Let me know your thoughts.

TIA, Ryan

panem
09-24-2007, 10:05 PM
has to be all stock man

stockEVO8
09-24-2007, 10:06 PM
the state ref checks for EVERYTHING!!!!...it has to be 100% stock or else u will have to re schedule to come back...good luck

O3ASEVO
09-24-2007, 10:15 PM
Well I have all my stock stuff and an aem intake with the carb number...what about the hks bov? its not the top mount so it is hidden below the intake...

stockEVO8
09-24-2007, 10:29 PM
dude...EVERYTHING!!!!

Tnastyevo8
09-24-2007, 10:32 PM
all these recently issued state ref tickets have given me second thoughts about my car, I have a set of 272 cams and cam gears that I want to put on, but is it worth it? what did you guys originally get pulled over for?

stockEVO8
09-24-2007, 10:39 PM
all these recently issued state ref tickets have given me second thoughts about my car, I have a set of 272 cams and cam gears that I want to put on, but is it worth it? what did you guys originally get pulled over for?

272 cams are way worth it, powerwise that is but its about 366 dollars for a modified emissions state ref ticket

in my case...i dint get pulled over...cop jus stopped me cuz i had stickers on my car

Tnastyevo8
09-24-2007, 10:48 PM

272 cams are way worth it, powerwise that is but its about 366 dollars for a modified emissions state ref ticket

in my case...i dint get pulled over...cop jus stopped me cuz i had stickers on my car

do they always give you an option to pay the ticket, if so its not that bad then, a lot cheaper than the price of having the cams/gears, un-installed, and then installed again? In your case you didnt have your cam gear cover on right? I have akmee cam gears so the cover fits with no modification.

esco
09-25-2007, 09:49 PM
look. mod'd exhaust is nothing. they DONT SMOG IT,

stop giving bad info.

Need proof? http://www.norcalevo.net/forum/index.php/topic,21966.15.html

And to the op- The location I went to is on Northgate. (near the old arco arena)

Anyone else actually have any experiance like I have with this? Post it up or dont give incorrect info.

esco
09-25-2007, 09:58 PM
Mods when checked-

Greddy type s bov
Works HFC
HKS t timer type 2
defi boost gauge
teins
drop in
muffler delete<------ which they wouldnt touch the car then, so I put a magnaflow pos on the back to pass.

R-Ev0LuTi0N
09-26-2007, 12:17 PM
Whatever they put you for on your ticket thats what they will check you for...I got pulled over for loud/modded exhaust and the asshat told me I have to get reffed. Yea I think you can pay it off when they mail you the papers...if you dont wanna go through the trouble of going back to stock..if you can afford it, then why not?

R-Ev0LuTi0N
09-26-2007, 12:18 PM
oh and btw...esco is right.

Sfkn2
09-26-2007, 12:44 PM
Right. They only check what you are being cited for.

Besides, not all exhausts are illegal - only the ones above 95dB or something.

O3ASEVO
09-26-2007, 04:17 PM
Well this makes me feel better. I was stopped by roseville pd once and they tested the db's and it passed. It was somethin like 87 db's. I have a Espelir cat back with works dp and hfc.

esco
09-26-2007, 10:51 PM
Well this makes me feel better. I was stopped by roseville pd once and they tested the db's and it passed. It was somethin like 87 db's. I have a Espelir cat back with works dp and hfc.

RSVL pd dont f around, I just said yes, I was doin 70 in 40, I know I was wrong, you got me, here is my insurance and license........

But I went to the sheriffs, chp, back and forth a few times till they said they dont have the equipment anymore for that, BAR is the only california branch that does that.

uhoh_evo
09-26-2007, 11:29 PM
Exhausts are only tested for sound. Your bov will only be ok if you have a recirculation kit w/ 100% recirculating. And your CARB sticker takes care of that intake.

Ay esco, you said they don't have the equipment anymore. Equipment to test what? Db levels er "sniffer" stuff?

megatron
09-27-2007, 12:03 AM
From my experience the state ref checks EVERYTHING.Â* Otherwise you could just have an officer sign the ticket off themself.Â* I could be wrong but when I was sent to the state ref, even my cam gears automatically failed the visual test, and that wasn't even on the ticket.Â* Plus my p0300 code went off and set of the CEL and that already in itself failed.Â* What I did was take everything off, exhaust, intake, cam gears, etc.Â* But I didn't take the cams off because it would cost too much to uninstall then install them again.Â* Luckily my HKS 264's passed smog at the state ref!Â* So good luck with yours, or just take the hit and pay the fine.Â*
Oh and just to clarify, they did SMOG my car.Â* But since state refs don't have awd dyno things, they only stick the tester in your exhaust and rev the engine out, that's all.Â*

esco
09-27-2007, 12:18 AM
From my experience the state ref checks EVERYTHING. Otherwise you could just have an officer sign the ticket off themself. I could be wrong but when I was sent to the state ref, even my cam gears automatically failed the visual test, and that wasn't even on the ticket. Plus my p0300 code went off and set of the CEL and that already in itself failed. What I did was take everything off, exhaust, intake, cam gears, etc. But I didn't take the cams off because it would cost too much to uninstall then install them again. Luckily my HKS 264's passed smog at the state ref! So good luck with yours, or just take the hit and pay the fine.
Oh and just to clarify, they did SMOG my car. But since state refs don't have awd dyno things, they only stick the tester in your exhaust and rev the engine out, that's all.

I dont believe you that it was just a exhaust ticket if they searched the car like that. Makes sense that a government agency would poke and prod at something they arent even supposed to be clariying........Chyeah right. They arent able to smog. call them and lose.

Also, it would be a lawsuit waiting to happen for anything other than whats on the ticket. Common sense say a purple bov would stick out. Yet they said they didnt care. I had just bought the car and didnt even know about the cat, they told me.

And think about how many

esco
09-27-2007, 12:19 AM
Exhausts are only tested for sound. Your bov will only be ok if you have a recirculation kit w/ 100% recirculating. And your CARB sticker takes care of that intake.

Ay esco, you said they don't have the equipment anymore. Equipment to test what? Db levels er "sniffer" stuff?

DB tester. No chp or sheriff has tehm anymore. Spent a day just to find out I had to call and schedule. Finally a dyke at a chp station gave me the number.

And my bov was a Ricer vta ;)

megatron
09-27-2007, 12:23 AM
I think they got me for modified intake as well. Â*So the state ref had to check for that too. Â*But at that time the cops were under the suspicion that we were racing, considering that me and about 20 other cars were at the runs. Â*I forgot what exactly they wrote me up for, but I do remember them pointing out my intake and exhaust. Â*I mean c'mon, intake and exhaust is all cops know anyway. Â*They were even telling me that my gauges and turbo timer is illegal. Â*But yes indeed my car was put through a visual, sound, and smog test at the state ref. Â*

O3ASEVO
09-27-2007, 04:39 PM
Well I hope everything goes ok and they only test db's. If they look at my engine all that is visible is the intake.

esco
09-27-2007, 10:35 PM
Well I hope everything goes ok and they only test db's. If they look at my engine all that is visible is the intake.

If you want to trade for the test, and trade back after, Im in roseville if you feel uncomfortable. But I never had any issues. Thats if u dont have the stock airbox laying around.

Also, Im in sac 3/5 days a week. Watt/Auburn area.

megatron
10-24-2007, 06:04 PM
any update on this??? I got a ANOTHER exhaust ticket. My full exhaust system is currently for sale and posted on the classifieds section. I'm just going to run the stock exhaust for now and visit the state ref. My main question now, if not already answered, will they check under my hood? Because I know they'll fail me when they see my HKS intake.

R-Ev0LuTi0N
10-25-2007, 11:42 PM
^^ modified exhaust is all they got you for correct? you should be fine, when I went in to get reffed, they never pooped my hood....all they did is check the exhaust noise with the db tester...but thats just my experience. They shouldnt be able to tamper with anything else except for the reason why your there.

esco
10-26-2007, 02:55 PM
^^ modified exhaust is all they got you for correct? you should be fine, when I went in to get reffed, they never pooped my hood....all they did is check the exhaust noise with the db tester...but thats just my experience. They shouldnt be able to tamper with anything else except for the reason why your there.

exactly. (what happened to me and what will happen)

r0me0ne
10-26-2007, 03:11 PM
well i live in socal, when i got reffed i passed with my hks-hipower catback and espelir dp...they did check under my hood and did a visual...the guy told me any type of aftermarket bov is a fail...

R-Ev0LuTi0N
10-26-2007, 09:47 PM
^^ I guess like other people say...either they are anal about it or some just dont give a F*ck...but whatever esco went through, it was the same for me...it is as he says.

O3ASEVO
10-28-2007, 08:04 PM
whats up guys..Sorry its been a while since i made an update on this. Been working like crazy! Anyway all they checked me for was db on my exhaust. They didnt say anything about my intake, or bov. I failed the first time with a 96.6! That was with works dp, stock cat and espelir exhaust. They revved it to 4875 though, I thought that was way too high but I cant argue so I threw my silencer in and passed with an 84 the second time. Thing that sucks is they wrote on the cirtificate "with silencer installed". So I have to keep it in. Thing is I hate the sound of it with the silencer in. Anyone know if they do db tests without a ticket? cuz im thinkin bout throwin my stock dp on with the stock cat and I should pass with no silencer...

esco
10-29-2007, 09:23 AM
whats up guys..Sorry its been a while since i made an update on this. Been working like crazy! Anyway all they checked me for was db on my exhaust. They didnt say anything about my intake, or bov. I failed the first time with a 96.6! That was with works dp, stock cat and espelir exhaust. They revved it to 4875 though, I thought that was way too high but I cant argue so I threw my silencer in and passed with an 84 the second time. Thing that sucks is they wrote on the cirtificate "with silencer installed". So I have to keep it in. Thing is I hate the sound of it with the silencer in. Anyone know if they do db tests without a ticket? cuz im thinkin bout throwin my stock dp on with the stock cat and I should pass with no silencer...

Just keep the papers like i posted in the glove box and tell the next cop dont waste our time unless you have a db gun to test it. or you will have to do it again (put the silencer)

O3ASEVO
10-29-2007, 04:50 PM
but my problem is it says "with silencer installed" on the cert. so the next cop that pulls me over and sees i dont have it in they are gonna give me shit and send me again...

esco
10-29-2007, 10:51 PM
but my problem is it says "with silencer installed" on the cert. so the next cop that pulls me over and sees i dont have it in they are gonna give me shit and send me again...

same diff as no front plate. just show it.

O3ASEVO
10-30-2007, 06:16 PM
what you mean same difference?

esco
10-30-2007, 11:54 PM

the car with no plate just has to put the plate on and get it signed off.

the car w/o the silencer just has to put it on and show the cop to be signed off. I also really doubt police can tell the diff between a few db's.

DoggDicker
10-31-2007, 12:02 AM
The popo's ears are highly trained instruments regarding sound levels...haha...

DD

R-Ev0LuTi0N
11-02-2007, 01:55 PM

the car w/o the silencer just has to put it on and show the cop to be signed off. I also really doubt police can tell the diff between a few db's.

+1..only way to tell is if they have a db tester with them (which I highly doubt) to check the sound level.

esco
11-03-2007, 12:12 AM

+1..only way to tell is if they have a db tester with them (which I highly doubt) to check the sound level.

law enforcement is not carrying them with them anymore, I went back and forth between 2 different depts. for that.