PDA

View Full Version : Corner Balancing

e8
09-22-2004, 12:31 AM
Okay, I'm giddy like a school girl (almost) about my V6's that I am having installed by Works in less than... 12 hours, BUT

how many have you corner balanced your cars since you got your coil overs (of any brand)?

do evos come corner balanced from the factory (to a specific driver weight)?

EDIT- oops, I guess this can go in suspension and handling. mods, move it if you like.

vtluu
09-22-2004, 08:41 AM
I know chrisw measured the corner weights on his stock Evo (back before he had the Ohlins) and he said the right-left weight distribution--with the driver in the car--was pretty even on the stock setup.

Gruppe-S
09-25-2004, 08:03 PM
Currently using HKS Hipermax Performer coilover kit and got my evo corner weighed and balanced at C2 Automotive in Oakland.

If you are in South Bay, you can go to Custom Alignment in Mountain View.

AutoRnD
11-12-2004, 10:43 AM
There is also Roger Kraus in Castro Valley for East Bay peeps who don't want to go to Oakland.

Peace, Rishie

dohcvtec
11-12-2004, 11:21 AM
i had my honda corner balanced at Roger Kraus. felt soo nice afterwards :)

chrisw
11-22-2004, 01:23 PM
I know chrisw measured the corner weights on his stock Evo (back before he had the Ohlins) and he said the right-left weight distribution--with the driver in the car--was pretty even on the stock setup.

With no spare tire, 1/4 tank of gas, the EVO was almost a perfect 50/50 balence front to rear, and left to right.

With the driver, the balence went to 60/40 front to rear

vtluu
11-22-2004, 03:29 PM

With no spare tire, 1/4 tank of gas, the EVO was almost a perfect 50/50 balence front to rear, and left to right.

Wow, you sure are heavier than you look Chris. :nana: Figure 1600 lbs up front, 1600lbs rear... Okay I guess it makes sense. Here's what I'm curious about though: it seems to me the weight of the driver doesn't really affect the balance all that much though, since driver sits pretty close to the center of gravity of the car... no? I.e. 160 lbs in the driver's seat isn't the same thing as 160 lbs in the engine bay. Thinking about it some more, the closer to the center of gravity you add weight, the more evenly that added weight distributes to all four corners. What am I missing?

earlyapex
11-28-2004, 01:03 AM

wbahha. So you weigh like 400lbs? Have a print out of your corner weight sheet? I think you're reading and confusing it with cross-weights. Who did the corner-weight adjustments? Read the part where it says % F.T. W.T and % Rear W.T.

Like this:

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/mods/chassis/wrx_cornerweight_12_9_03.gif

EVO GRIM
12-18-2004, 06:58 PM
Anybody know how they cornerweight. I heard from the guy I bought the coilovers from, that they put more pre-load on the lighter corners to eaven out. Is this correct?

I've got access to realy nice digital scales, and I'm thinking of trying this out. Any comment?

vtluu
12-18-2004, 07:08 PM
Yes, you can do DIY corner weighting, though you do need to know what you're doing. (Don't look at me, I don't know any more than you do! :lol:) Yes, adjusting the preloads sounds like the right thing to do--or rather, it's about the only thing you could do that would affect the corner weights (unless you've got coilovers where you can actually change the strut body length; I believe the JICs have this feature).

The only thing I would add is make sure you do it on a very flat and very level surface... Oh, and make sure you put sandbags, etc. in the driver's seat to account for the weight of the driver (no joke).

Can I borrow your scales sometime? ;)