PDA

View Full Version : mivec swap evo 9 head into an evo 8

trinydex
10-02-2007, 01:19 PM
or an evo 9 motor into an evo 8

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=297020&page=3&highlight=evo+8.5

Well there was a number of factors in my case,Â* Â*The seller of the engine did not sell me all the parts as promised and lied about its condition so i actually had to use alot of my old evo 8 parts which supprisingly are identical.Â* Â*With the exception of the rear o2 sensor plug and the transmission speed sensor plug beingÂ* The only 2 plugs that didnt plug in.Â* Â*Its basically like just putting the same motor back in.Â* everything else bolted right back up.Â* Â*I just have the ACD plugs that arent pluged in.Â* Â*Ohh and there are 3 plugs inside the car that i have no idea what they are for lol but the car works without them so haha yeah dunno. i think its for the acd computer.

Anyways, i got the motor and had to swap parts over, wait on the harness then i got the harness all bunk so i got depressed drank a beer , had a dream that i fixed the harness and the next day i did the same thing in my dream and it worked lol.Â* Â*So you can actually Leave the Big fuse box in your car and only swap the smaller fuse box that deattachs from it. "wow" yeah thats what i said and slaped myself for cause i waited 3 months with everything i needed to complete this.

So the only things that need custom work are the :
A . Rear o2 sensor plug
B. Transmission speed sensor plug

Which these might very from te 03-04 to the 05. who knows they might have changed the plugs over in the 05 so then its not extra work at all.

Ohh but to your question , from the moment i got into a wreck. its beenÂ* 11 months and 15 days haha.Â* Â*but it was in the body shop for 2 months for fixing the damages on the front end and DAMN did they do a good job on that.

this is some basic info. the only other factor it SEEMS is that if you're using an evo 8 block, then the mivec head needs an oil passage to power the mivec. this has been rumored to be as simple as using a hose.

mivec 2.4 has already been done before. http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=233547 but i'd like to know the details about the oil passage for mivec.

SpeedElement
10-02-2007, 04:04 PM
I think this is the complete EVO 9 engine swap to EVO 8.. not mivec head on evo viii block..

trinydex
10-02-2007, 04:11 PM
yeah it is... i wanted clarification on what else is needed if you were to only do the head swap.

SpeedElement
10-02-2007, 04:30 PM
I don't think anyone has tried that yet.. would be interesting tho..

RREVOVIII
10-02-2007, 04:37 PM
some says evo 9 block is different than the VIII, so you just cant swap heads

trinydex
10-02-2007, 05:17 PM

it has been. note my second link. it was first done by pruven, then it was done by maximillion or wahtever you spell it. i think a swap has been done by tuning technologies as well.

yes it can look at the second link.

chrisw
10-02-2007, 05:55 PM

it has been. note my second link. it was first done by pruven, then it was done by maximillion or wahtever you spell it. i think a swap has been done by tuning technologies as well.

yes it can look at the second link.

I took a look at that second thread and saw nothing except warralton bitching for the first several pages...
impressive gains on IX cosworth cams, but no info on the head swap

trinydex
10-02-2007, 06:34 PM
yeah that's cuz warrtalon loses at the internet. the whole point of that thread was to announce that a 2.4 block had a 9 head on it... no attention spam mfers could only think about cossie cams.

Evo9R
10-02-2007, 09:56 PM
:?

EFIxMR
10-04-2007, 11:46 AM
The mivec oil supply is from a metal hardline that is run from a port on the block. The EVO8 does not have this port, however, you could just as easily do the same thing by running an external oil line from the oil filter assembly.

trinydex
10-04-2007, 11:50 AM
aha... no closer supply?

fiaevo.com
10-04-2007, 12:43 PM
safer and simple to use the hose from the oil filter.

trinydex
10-04-2007, 01:54 PM
hose as in one of the ports for the sensors?

fiaevo.com
10-04-2007, 02:58 PM
I am sorry meant run an additional line, but here is a question for you? why do want to do this?

trinydex
10-04-2007, 03:03 PM
like run an additional line by using one of those ports in the stock filter sandwich right?

because the 04s are the lightest ct9a's least complex with the absence of acd. i feel it's the real last evo. it's mod friendly in the sense that all the things you need to replace are the things with shortcomings (turbo etc.). but there is one thing an 04 can't COME with... and that's mivec.

fiaevo.com
10-04-2007, 03:17 PM
like run an additional line by using one of those ports in the stock filter sandwich right?

because the 04s are the lightest ct9a's least complex with the absence of acd. i feel it's the real last evo. it's mod friendly in the sense that all the things you need to replace are the things with shortcomings (turbo etc.). but there is one thing an 04 can't COME with... and that's mivec.

yes you can use the stock filter sandwich deal or we added an adaptor that allows you to run an additional line, i have an 04 an i love that thing for some reason more than the other two i have. I just think that mivec while is an excellent road car tool, does not really help a car that you want to make serious power out of. I would suggest that you investigate building a sick head instead so it is ready when you are for the power. That is just my personal thought i have already done a head swap for a customer, and i told him the same thing, but you should do what you think works for you.

Sammy

chrisw
10-04-2007, 03:18 PM
The mivec oil supply is from a metal hardline that is run from a port on the block. The EVO8 does not have this port, however, you could just as easily do the same thing by running an external oil line from the oil filter assembly.

Is that it??!!??

In addition to oil supply, do you need to do anything to cover the throttle by wire, or does the TPS provide enough functionality to subsitute?

EFIxMR
10-04-2007, 03:50 PM
EVO 9 has the same tb as an EVO 8, it is actuated by a cable.

To do this swap you need the EVO 9 head, Mivec cam gear, Mivec oil control actuator, Intake Hall effect sensor, EVO 9 wire harness, and ECU.

trinydex
10-04-2007, 04:00 PM

yes you can use the stock filter sandwich deal or we added an adaptor that allows you to run an additional line, i have an 04 an i love that thing for some reason more than the other two i have. I just think that mivec while is an excellent road car tool, does not really help a car that you want to make serious power out of. I would suggest that you investigate building a sick head instead so it is ready when you are for the power. That is just my personal thought i have already done a head swap for a customer, and i told him the same thing, but you should do what you think works for you.

Sammy
my car is all street (canyon) performance. so that's really why heh.

To do this swap you need the EVO 9 head, Mivec cam gear, Mivec oil control actuator, Intake Hall effect sensor, EVO 9 wire harness, and ECU.
hall effect sensor is for tps or what?

EFIxMR
10-04-2007, 04:46 PM
the hall effect sensor tells the ecu the camshaft position.

trinydex
10-04-2007, 04:48 PM
ah ic so cam angle sensor?

chrisw
10-04-2007, 04:49 PM

is that only the engine wiring harness or do you need to replace what's under the dash as well?

EFIxMR
10-04-2007, 05:01 PM
the engine harness runs into the dash. The evo 9 has a high density 3 plug connector and the evo 8 has a four plug connector ecu.

trinydex
10-04-2007, 05:25 PM
so some wire fenagling has to be done on the "back" side of the ecu?

so the part of the harness work that the quote up top is referring to was suggesting that the "tail" ends of the ecu plug right into the various accesories?

EFIxMR
10-04-2007, 06:08 PM
Sorry, kinda getting confused on which parts you are referring to now. On the swap we did, we used the entire engine wire harness and fuse box from and evo 9.

trinydex
10-04-2007, 06:31 PM
ok. i think that's just the most convenient way to do it. i'm not confused as to what i'm asking also. because the 9 harness should connect up to all the 9 block parts and all the 8 accessories just fine right?

with the exception of the two things listed in the orig post?

Evo9R
10-04-2007, 06:54 PM
how much was it

fiaevo.com
10-04-2007, 07:31 PM
Andy is right you need the complete harness and preferably the fuse box, i still dont know why some one would put so much money in to this.

chrisw
10-04-2007, 07:39 PM
Andy is right you need the complete harness and preferably the fuse box, i still dont know why some one would put so much money in to this.

Sir Hillary Scott has the best answer when he was asked about climbing mt everest. "Becase I can"

I want the MVEC head with updated flow characteristics and variable valve timing.

trinydex
10-04-2007, 07:49 PM
it's not a lotta money tho when considering head work...

fiaevo.com
10-04-2007, 08:04 PM
you are the boss , i have one in stock who ever wants one.