PDA

View Full Version : INSTALL: magnecore 8.5mm spark plug wires (or the like)

trinydex
10-08-2007, 11:20 AM
http://www.evolvedperformance.com/Installs/AFE59B53-7891-4BE7-BD66-377F312A019A.html

http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10991/Peter%2527s%20Evo%20IX%20065.jpg

Magnecor 8.5mm Plug Wires for the Evo IX The benefits of upgraded plug wires are debated almost as much as brake pad compound. There is an argument to be made that, as long as your stock parts are in good condition, there is little to no benefit in upgrading your wires. The factory engineers such parts to suit the requirements of the motor.
That said, ensuring that you get consistent spark is a critical component of tuning a motor. If you are serious about getting the most out of your modifications, the last thing you want is misfiring or a weak spark limiting the consistent performance of your motor. Upgraded plug wires are cheap insurance for just such a case.
Magnecor makes plug wires for hundreds of applications and is very well respected. They offer a kit for the Evo that uses an upgraded 8.5mm wire and OEM-like connectors for easy installation. Installation takes all of 15 minutes for an experienced mechanic.

Start by removing the spark plug cover. Use a 10mm socket to take the bolts off and not a screwdriver.

http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10991/Peter%2527s%20Evo%20IX%20066.jpg

Grab the base of the rubber boot connecting the plug wire to the coil and disconnect them. Do the same for the spark plug connector. Don’t ever tug on spark plug wires, as you’re likely to disconnect the wire from the connectors internally.

http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10991/Peter%2527s%20Evo%20IX%20067.jpg

The Magnecor wires fit in the exact same way as the factory wires. Holding onto the rubber boot on the rubber boot on each connector, make sure that you have a solid connection at each point.
Before you put the cover back on, fire up the motor and make sure she runs smoothly. If it idles as expected, than you’re done. Pop the spark plug cover back on and you’re ready to roll.

http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10991/Peter%2527s%20Evo%20IX%20068.jpg

zasboy
10-09-2008, 12:30 AM
I just installed these tonight and had some concerns with it. While installing it, I noticed something unusual. The boot was loose and did not make a seal on over the spark plug hole. It looks like the boot did not fully seated onto the hole. But I heard the connector make the "click" sound and it was connected to the spark plug. But I was able to wiggle the boot around and if I gave it a tug up, I could pop the connection off. I don't know if this is normal but I thought as long as it made a connection, I would be fine. So I drove it around and had no problems. Can someone chime in and provide some input?

Lurk
10-09-2008, 04:32 PM
Those things never fit right. Magnecor wires suck and belong on Hondas.

RREVOVIII
10-09-2008, 11:06 PM
I just installed these tonight and had some concerns with it. While installing it, I noticed something unusual. The boot was loose and did not make a seal on over the spark plug hole. It looks like the boot did not fully seated into the hole. But I heard the connector make the "click" sound and it was connected to the spark plug. But I was able to wiggle the boot around and if I gave it a tug up, I could pop the connection off. I don't know if this is normal but I thought as long as it made a connection, I would be fine. So I drove it around and had no problems. Can someone chime in and provide some input?
after awhile they will snug tight, once the rubber heat's up, i have the same wire's and notice that same thing after installing them....

RREVOVIII
08-21-2009, 08:19 PM
i did a comparison between this and the Stock wires, with this the car idle'd alot stronger and throttle was more responsive.

the only down side is that the boot that connects to the coils, slips-off when the car is warm. But Zipties fixed that :wink:

ArtEvoIX
08-21-2009, 09:21 PM
are these the same as the akada coils?

RREVOVIII
08-21-2009, 09:29 PM
are these the same as the akada coils?these are just Spark Plug Wires, but for Okada coils based on what i notice, they work well with Magnecore wires...

ArtEvoIX
08-21-2009, 10:42 PM
these are just Spark Plug Wires, but for Okada coils based on what i notice, they work well with Magnecore wires...

Will they increase my power? :icon_twisted:

RREVOVIII
08-21-2009, 10:50 PM

if just the wires im not sure, but with the Okada Coils and Magnecore wires YES! if you wanna know you can get the same increase that i got with these. i dont mine metting you at fftec Dyno to test them out :wink:

batosai
08-23-2009, 06:33 AM

ballah playah is at it again...damn arthur...LOOOOL :eyecrazy:

ricardomotorhead
09-06-2009, 07:17 PM
What is the expected lifetime of the Okada coils? from what you have experienced? will they have the same as the OEM?

RREVOVIII
09-06-2009, 07:20 PM
i have mine for 2yrs now, and no sign of any failure's yet! :wink:

ricardomotorhead
09-06-2009, 07:23 PM
Will Evo scan give you any readings of the performance of these parts? such as voltage...IDK

RREVOVIII
09-06-2009, 07:25 PM
Will Evo scan give you any readings of the performance of these parts? such as voltage...IDKi never checked that, since i dont have my stock coils anymore. but its a noticable smoother idle and great throttle response.

ricardomotorhead
09-06-2009, 07:34 PM
I have been considering on possibly getting this done. considering the fact my car is turning 74k soon

ArtEvoIX
09-06-2009, 07:59 PM
Jay,

I am going to try sparktech coils, but dont think is CARB legal as Okada.

RREVOVIII
09-06-2009, 08:04 PM
Jay,

yeah i know but, a COP will get you on anything anyways :wink:

ArtEvoIX
09-06-2009, 08:09 PM
that is true!!!!!

alright "FP red" or 35R here I come!!!! lol

RREVOVIII
09-06-2009, 08:12 PM
that is true!!!!!

alright "FP red" or 35R here I come!!!! lol
:icon_eek: already? LOL, now i know why Lito call you a balla! :D

ArtEvoIX
09-06-2009, 08:37 PM
:icon_eek: already? LOL, now i know why Lito call you a balla! :D

hahahahaha!!!!

I have to take away the "WANT" from me and put more of the "NEED" in me.:sneaky:

Modding is way too fun. Put in this + that = exciting result :drool2:

ricardomotorhead
09-06-2009, 11:19 PM
Jay,

As long as they are cover , who cares, coppers wouldn't know any better, stealth mode that is what is all about, damn intakes and exhaust that is as much as a cop will know, cuz they are the most common and affordable mods, and shiny crap, that'll get their attention just like waving doughnuts in front of them ;)

ricardomotorhead
09-06-2009, 11:21 PM
hahahahaha!!!!

I have to take away the "WANT" from me and put more of the "NEED" in me.:sneaky:

Modding is way too fun. Put in this + that = exciting result :drool2:

DAMN ART, this is no longer called Modding its call ADDICTION, and we all suffer of it LOL

ArtEvoIX
09-06-2009, 11:41 PM
As long as they are cover , who cares, coppers wouldn't know any better, stealth mode that is what is all about, damn intakes and exhaust that is as much as a cop will know, cuz they are the most common and affordable mods, and shiny crap, that'll get their attention just like waving doughnuts in front of them ;)

IMAO! I am going to ask the officer that might pull me over, *knock on wood*, "Officer, may I offer you some donuts and let me go?" lol

DAMN ART, this is no longer called Modding its call ADDICTION, and we all suffer of it LOL

damn, addiction! you are right!