PDA

View Full Version : Filling up gas while car still running

Positron
10-10-2007, 01:01 PM
What are your thoughts on this? I've never done this before entirely but I have taken off the gas cap while the car was still turbo timing.

--anonimuz
10-10-2007, 01:03 PM
try it.. it seems like it's gonna die.. might probably also give you check engine light I think (atleast on BMWs)...

MadEvo
10-10-2007, 01:04 PM
What are your thoughts on this? I've never done this before entirely but I have taken off the gas cap while the car was still turbo timing.

I've seen it in done in the Phillipines.

mtsevovii
10-10-2007, 01:04 PM
ive seen ppl do it at the pump...

i just think to myself how to GTFO when SHTF. :lol:

"its NASCAR, man!"

trinydex
10-10-2007, 01:06 PM
manual says you're not supposed to. also there's some pressure related diagnostic or something... i think that gets confused when you fill at idle and causes the car to stumble.

DoggDicker
10-10-2007, 01:06 PM
Urban legend...you're through a CEL...but you don't know until you try...let us now how it works out...

Â* DD

wilson1
10-10-2007, 01:07 PM
never tried it before.....

EVOVIII-WC
10-10-2007, 01:12 PM
Accidentally did that a long time ago and the car stumbled and shut off.

uhoh_evo
10-10-2007, 01:25 PM
Never done it myself but was w/ my homie Gary in his boosted integra. Went to gas station so he could fill up and his Turbo Timer was activated. I got nervous at what might happened but I didn't notice anything.

panem
10-10-2007, 01:32 PM
i always thought that it would f-ing blow up.

uhoh_evo
10-10-2007, 01:50 PM
^LoL! Exactly why I got nervous!

chrisw
10-10-2007, 01:53 PM
In cold weather (like alaska) I can see doing this. But around here there is no point.

panem
10-10-2007, 01:58 PM
i kinda did this with another car and when i just started filling up the car i notice the car was still on so i hella rush to turn off the car. i was like i dont want to die today. the effects of being tired. hahaha

oneillevo
10-10-2007, 03:25 PM
Ive done it before, not in the EVO of course. Used to drive a company parts truck when I used to work for an Auto-Body shop. The boss was a real strict on how much to use when filling up. He told me to fill it to only half-tank, I asked how? And he suggested filling it up while the truck was still running. LOL Nothing happened. I did the business and didn't though a CEL. It was a Chevy S10

kinetics
10-10-2007, 03:42 PM
my boi has been doing it for a while! bald short dude with a stock GG IX
doesn't believe in a turbo timer so when we fill up he just lets the car
run and he fills up...don't notice anyting wierd, no CEL or anything

I wouldn't do it to my car...but im just saying
i've seen it done before :lol:

jbfoco
10-10-2007, 05:15 PM
i ve done it before ran too low on gas at the track pulled in gassed up went back on track. Car was too hot to turn off.

I am fine ..cars fine...

Kings Fan
10-10-2007, 05:24 PM
You might throw a CEL for evap leak or something

EvoRicer
10-10-2007, 05:38 PM
nothing happens...no cel, car does not shut down, but it does stumble. thats about it. i was on a long road trip from UT to CA and went to a gas station that does not have a self serve pump. so while my TT was running the guy just pumps 85 into my tank...i was like wtf? oh well...nothing happened. it was in my evo 8...

mtsevovii
10-10-2007, 05:44 PM
nothing happens...no cel, car does not shut down, but it does stumble.Â* thats about it.Â* i was on a long road trip from UT to CA and went to a gas station that does not have a self serve pump.Â* so while my TT was running the guy just pumps 85 into my tank...i was like wtf?Â* oh well...nothing happened.Â* it was in my evo 8...

ouch... :(

Matz
10-10-2007, 06:08 PM
I did it by accident back when I was in college, everything was fine. :)

Sfkn2
10-10-2007, 10:28 PM
I've done it plenty of times.. it's A-OK.

panem
10-10-2007, 10:46 PM
everyone admits to doing it after i did... lolz!!! :lol:

Sfkn2
10-10-2007, 11:33 PM
everyone admits to doing it after i did... lolz!!! :lol:

I used to work at a Car dealership and did it a few times a day..

DaveLC2
10-15-2007, 09:00 PM
I just did this the other night real late in Martinez just in case I had to make a fast get awayÂ* :lol: I already had a P0300 so I'll have rescan for codes. The car continued to run fine. I DON'T make a habbit because I check the oil everytime I fuel up. When a turbo seal goes you can burn a ton of oil in a short period of time. Better to play it safe.

Dave

jdmSpecMR
10-15-2007, 11:53 PM
i use to do it on my old integra but rarely, but i dont think i would what to try it on the evo just to be on the safe side....

like dave i check the oil everytime unless im in a rush then yeah...

byt
10-16-2007, 01:48 PM
no one here from the midwest? everyone there does it in the winter/snow as it's damn cold so they keep the heater running while they pump. :D

nightwalker
10-16-2007, 04:43 PM
I'll tell you what happens, the least that could happen is that you throw a CEL for evap because one of the solenoids going to the canister was open when you were filling up.

Worst case, you end up killing a solenoid, and/or fill up your evap canister full of gas over time and your car runs pig rich and you don't know why.

gtride
10-18-2007, 02:38 PM
Nothing is going to happend. i never had any problems with CEL, i had to fill up buch of OBD2 cars that had dead battery so i couln't turn it off while filling up. So i let them run while filling up.

gtride
10-18-2007, 02:39 PM
Nothing is going to happend. i never had any problems with CEL, i had to fill up buch of OBD2 cars that had dead battery so i couln't turn it off while filling up. So i let them run while filling up.

Evo951
03-08-2008, 07:54 PM
I do it all the time, the car stumbles the last 10 secs. but no CEL

SavageEvo8
03-08-2008, 08:09 PM
toyotas it will for sure throw a cel for an emissions related code. anytime the cap is open, the seal is bad, or so on...the code is triggered. i believe its only on obd2 ones though...my ae wont throw a light for being on, but i would never fill while the engine was running.

overdrive
03-08-2008, 08:56 PM
I actually saw a maserati filling up at a Chevron Station near Solano Mall doing that a few days ago . The guy was even bumping music. I got curious and even went close discretely to see if the engine was running.

I smelled burning gas and saw that the dual exhausts were emitting smoke. That's when I actually knew that the engine was turned on while filling up.

I think it works, but I just don't have the guts to it.

lqdchkn
03-09-2008, 01:10 PM
You might throw a CEL for evap leak or something

^^ Yeah you'll likely throw a Evap. CEL but it takes a has to error for a while before the ecu will throw the light.

DirectorSe7en
03-09-2008, 01:46 PM
i was on a long road trip from UT to CA and went to a gas station that does not have a self serve pump. so while my TT was running the guy just pumps 85 into my tank.

I always put 85 into my tank. i getz teh more horsepowerz.

player67
03-10-2008, 09:23 AM
I just don't do it...

Eric_SJ
04-09-2008, 10:51 PM
I do it all the time. No issues yet.

kinetics
04-09-2008, 10:54 PM
i was on a long road trip from UT to CA and went to a gas station that does not have a self serve pump. so while my TT was running the guy just pumps 85 into my tank.

I always put 85 into my tank. i getz teh more horsepowerz.

I pump DIESEL...cleaner for the environment and more torque! :D

ChuckP
05-03-2008, 06:45 PM
I pump DIESEL...cleaner for the environment and more torque! :D

Same here. But i like to splash in a few gallons of 87oct. Safety buffer...

jayfi21
09-29-2008, 11:51 PM
I do it all the time, the car stumbles the last 10 secs. but no CEL

+1

Lurk
09-30-2008, 07:15 PM
You guys ever see race cars in the pits refueling? Car is still running, gas splashing everywhere...

James Bond
11-24-2008, 10:53 AM
HAHA

Nothing besides a possible "you are an idiot and left your gas cap off" CEL will happen.

I do this all the time with all the many different cars I have driven, new and old, Honda,Toyota,BMW and now Mitsubishi.

ChuckP
11-24-2008, 11:00 AM
HAHA

Nothing besides a possible "you are an idiot and left your gas cap off" CEL will happen.

I do this all the time with all the many different cars I have driven, new and old, Honda,Toyota,BMW and now Mitsubishi.

What?

James Bond
11-24-2008, 11:04 AM
HAHA

What?

What? "What?"

TcJayLee
11-25-2008, 10:39 AM
^ in the butt.............. :lol:

James Bond
11-25-2008, 10:41 AM
^ in the butt.............. :lol:

hahah!!

GIMME my internet money!

ChuckP
11-25-2008, 10:54 AM
^Here you go :? ...$$$

bluedevil06
11-27-2008, 01:31 PM
i accidently tried it once on my car when i turned the ignition off and the timer was still on, started gasing and after a few seconds after wards my car was hesitating like no tomorrow. ionno if this will fuck my shit up but i highly suggest not do it!!!

James Bond
11-27-2008, 11:38 PM
i accidently tried it once on my car when i turned the ignition off and the timer was still on, started gasing and after a few seconds after wards my car was hesitating like no tomorrow. ionno if this will fuck my shit up but i highly suggest not do it!!!

There is something wrong with your car then

Putting gas in your tank while the engine is running will not cause a problem with the running of the engine.

1. Check light for gas cap/Evap
2. Possibility of blowing you, your car and the gas station up (00000.1% chance)

Those are about the only 2 things that can possibly happen when you fill up your tank with the engine running.

ChuckP
11-28-2008, 12:27 PM
2. Possibility of blowing you, your car and the gas station up (00000.1% chance)

How do i get my car to blow me?

overdrive
11-28-2008, 05:06 PM
How do i get my car to blow me?

Put it in the tailpipe...

LOL!

TcJayLee
11-28-2008, 08:40 PM
^Even then the muffler is too small for me! :D

bluedevil06
12-02-2008, 12:54 PM

Putting gas in your tank while the engine is running will not cause a problem with the running of the engine.

Those are about the only 2 things that can possibly happen when you fill up your tank with the engine running.

yes it will cuz it happen to my car as well as some guys on norcal as well. go back to page 1 and read trinydex's post.

an evap. problem wouldn't cause my car to stumble, on top of that my car doesn't blow its the other way around! :lol:

James Bond
12-02-2008, 01:10 PM

yes it will cuz it happen to my car as well as some guys on norcal as well. go back to page 1 and read trinydex's post.

an evap. problem wouldn't cause my car to stumble, on top of that my car doesn't blow its the other way around! :lol:

trinydex's really didn't say anything or give any evidence that this is bad.

Since this thread I have done it twice in my Evo and in my scion (my daily driver) I do it twice a week, I have yet to ever see a car stumble/misfire or anything of the sort because I put gas in when the car is running.

Maybe certain cars (I would think Audi's, BMW's and such) would have some pressure related switch/actuator/sensor that could throw a check light and then tell the ECU something or another?? I really don't know I guess BUT I do know that I do this all the time and have never seen any malfunction besides a check light.

Dont wanna call you a liar so that's why I said maybe something else is wrong with your car but then again, I don't really know :)

Google search on this topic is endless, here is a few.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080301132253AATrQrB

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_it_bad_to_keep_your_engine_running_when_you_fil l_up_the_gas_tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverXLR2004 View Post
Dear members,
I just mentioned my experience with the engine light and check gas cap earlier in another post. I had the fuel cap replaced and the engine light reset at the dealership. However, the warning lights disappeared after this and then came on again. I just found out that someone who drove my car earlier had filled fuel while the engine was running. I've heard that filling the tank while the engine running could cause damage to one of the computers, as a result, the check gas cap message and engine light appears. Is that correct? Anyone had experienced this before? if so , any suggestions to solve the problem would be appreciated.

Thank you.
NOT CORRECT!!!!!!

There are NO WIRES that run from the fuel tank to the computer.

I have filled up with the car running, A/C on and my wife in the passenger side of the car many times.

I was hopeful that bob aka standby was correct in recommending the new gas cap but I still stand behind my origional post.

The dealer can diagnose the problem with his Diagnostic tool.

Good Luck

bluedevil06
12-03-2008, 10:05 AM

trinydex's really didn't say anything or give any evidence that this is bad.

Since this thread I have done it twice in my Evo and in my scion (my daily driver) I do it twice a week, I have yet to ever see a car stumble/misfire or anything of the sort because I put gas in when the car is running.

Maybe certain cars (I would think Audi's, BMW's and such) would have some pressure related switch/actuator/sensor that could throw a check light and then tell the ECU something or another?? I really don't know I guess BUT I do know that I do this all the time and have never seen any malfunction besides a check light.

Dont wanna call you a liar so that's why I said maybe something else is wrong with your car but then again, I don't really know :)

Google search on this topic is endless, here is a few.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080301132253AATrQrB

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_it_bad_to_keep_your_engine_running_when_you_fil l_up_the_gas_tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverXLR2004 View Post
Dear members,
I just mentioned my experience with the engine light and check gas cap earlier in another post. I had the fuel cap replaced and the engine light reset at the dealership. However, the warning lights disappeared after this and then came on again. I just found out that someone who drove my car earlier had filled fuel while the engine was running. I've heard that filling the tank while the engine running could cause damage to one of the computers, as a result, the check gas cap message and engine light appears. Is that correct? Anyone had experienced this before? if so , any suggestions to solve the problem would be appreciated.

Thank you.
NOT CORRECT!!!!!!

There are NO WIRES that run from the fuel tank to the computer.

I have filled up with the car running, A/C on and my wife in the passenger side of the car many times.

I was hopeful that bob aka standby was correct in recommending the new gas cap but I still stand behind my origional post.

The dealer can diagnose the problem with his Diagnostic tool.

Good Luck

well....im not saying that your wrong, cuz ive seen buddies of mines do it on their NA's and they have no problem. cuz my car did stumble and you think that something is wrong with my car, which i know 4sho that nothing is wrong, i think it must be normal for some evo's since im not the only one with the problem. if you dont mind me asking, what kind of mods do u have and have u gotten a tune yet?

bluedevil06
12-03-2008, 02:05 PM
my coworkers evo are doing the same thing as well....so i assume this is a common problem for the evo's.

jayfi21
01-28-2009, 03:50 PM
same thing for me! 05 MR

ChuckP
01-28-2009, 04:03 PM
I fill my tank, with my car on..while smoking a cig and making calls. No problems yet.

sol_tegra
01-31-2009, 02:39 PM
my coworkers evo are doing the same thing as well....so i assume this is a common problem for the evo's.
i have the same problem as well...