PDA

View Full Version : got myself a first time ticket today =(

chris
01-12-2004, 12:53 PM
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21453.htm

i was making a right turn to stevens creek from deanza blvd. the car in front of me didn't stop, he stop for 1 sec then just zoom off. on the other hand i stop wait for this car to make his left turn from the other side so it seem as if i only stop for 2 seconds or less. next thing you know the cycle cop stop me for what he believes is an imcomplete stop =( my no ticket days are over. well hopefully after this ill try to come back by becoming a safer driver. anyone know how much this fine would be. parents are bitching already =X

vtluu
01-12-2004, 01:00 PM
Off to traffic school with you! :) Luckily you can do it online now; see http://www.onlinetrafficsafety.com/

The only catch is if you do it online you have to make an appointment to do a written (multiple choice) exam. The exam questions are exactly the same as the one from the course. I showed up for mine, was first to finish (in just under 15 minutes) and aced it (100%). Boo-yah! :lol:

chris
01-12-2004, 01:02 PM
don't i have to wait until the notice comes home? =X

chris
01-12-2004, 01:04 PM
i still hope the fine is not that high =X im broke!

DB8GSR
01-12-2004, 01:10 PM
You can always show up to court and fight for it or get a discount. Traffic school would help specially with your insurance.

chris
01-12-2004, 01:15 PM
i guess im going to have to wait. he complemented my brembo brakes and i thought he was gonna let me off after that. but guess not.... still gave me the ticket.

vtluu
01-12-2004, 01:22 PM
he complemented my brembo brakes
... and ticketed you for not using them enough! :P

Yeah, just wait for the notice from the court (the actual bill for the ticket) to come in; it will give you the option of doing traffic school. The whole of which is that upon successful completion it will strike the ticket from your record--so for insurance purposes it will be as if the ticket never happened.

The fine is not cheap; I think mine was something like $200 (doing 60 in a 45 zone) :(. But it will take weeks for the bill to show up and you'll have weeks to pay it.

DB8GSR
01-12-2004, 01:23 PM
Oh definitely... wait for the notice to mailed to you then take it from there. That's normally around 2-3 weeks after your initial ticket was written by the popo.

Moto cops are dicks. All they care about is they're quotas. Can you say I got written up for Jay walking at around 7am, no traffic on the street and still got ticketed by them punks 8 years ago? :x

nebolic
01-12-2004, 02:00 PM
i think if he got you at a red light that might be a hefty fine. check your ticket to see which one it says. He might get you for incomplete stop or running a red light. In any case, if you get the "running red light" your bill will be a$$ fu(ked, but incompletes are a little cheaper. I think you'll be looking around $150. Now two things you can do. You can go contest this ticket at court because like you said, if you waited for the other car to make a left turn, then in all DMV books, your stop was complete, because there is no 2-3 second rule bull$hit, if you go to court, the judge will ask you if you stopped and waited for a reasonable amount of time. Therefore you can argue that your time stopped was reasonable because the oppopsing lane made a left turn before you turned etc...

However if you do not want to fight the ticket and would just want to pay the fine, i'd still recommend you go to court and please guilty on the arraingment, usually the judge will reduce your fine because you will not waste the courts time etc..., btw its a big hefty reduction, you'll be paying around 50 to 80 dollars instead.

Also on a side note, if you fight it, and the cop doesnt show up etc... you get off for free, takes a while and when you do go to court, not many people know, but you can cross examine the citing officer, and the reason you want to do this is to make the judge believe that the officer was not doing his job properly or have him/her doubt the officers word.

Hope that helps.

xchoirboy
01-12-2004, 03:30 PM
After 2 weeks of getting my car I got nailed by a bike cop. I hadn't had a ticket in almost 12 years. All of the cops (especially motorcycle) are in Tracy and its twice bad in Manteca. It seems like they are everywhere.

chris
01-12-2004, 03:57 PM
i think if he got you at a red light that might be a hefty fine. check your ticket to see which one it says. He might get you for incomplete stop or running a red light. In any case, if you get the "running red light" your bill will be a$$ fu(ked, but incompletes are a little cheaper. I think you'll be looking around $150. Now two things you can do. You can go contest this ticket at court because like you said, if you waited for the other car to make a left turn, then in all DMV books, your stop was complete, because there is no 2-3 second rule bull$hit, if you go to court, the judge will ask you if you stopped and waited for a reasonable amount of time. Therefore you can argue that your time stopped was reasonable because the oppopsing lane made a left turn before you turned etc...

However if you do not want to fight the ticket and would just want to pay the fine, i'd still recommend you go to court and please guilty on the arraingment, usually the judge will reduce your fine because you will not waste the courts time etc..., btw its a big hefty reduction, you'll be paying around 50 to 80 dollars instead.

Also on a side note, if you fight it, and the cop doesnt show up etc... you get off for free, takes a while and when you do go to court, not many people know, but you can cross examine the citing officer, and the reason you want to do this is to make the judge believe that the officer was not doing his job properly or have him/her doubt the officers word.

Hope that helps.

thanks. well the ticket says "21453(A) V.C. Red Light. i guess he didn't write me up for incomplete stop huh? prolly what he meant was i ran a red light? this sucks. im definately going to court to have some kind of reduction. if this was the case of running a red light now i am going to fight about that but if it can be reduced somehow it would be great.

vtluu
01-12-2004, 04:01 PM
Here it is: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21453.htm

Circular Red or Red Arrow

21453. (a) A driver facing a steady circular red signal alone shall stop at a marked limit line, but if none, before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection or, if none, then before entering the intersection, and shall remain stopped until an indication to proceed is shown, except as provided in subdivision (b).

(b) Except when a sign is in place prohibiting a turn, a driver, after stopping as required by subdivision (a), facing a steady circular red signal, may turn right, or turn left from a one-way street onto a one-way street. A driver making that turn shall yield the right-of-way to pedestrians lawfully within an adjacent crosswalk and to any vehicle that has approached or is approaching so closely as to constitute an immediate hazard to the driver, and shall continue to yield the right-of-way to that vehicle until the driver can proceed with reasonable safety.

(c) A driver facing a steady red arrow signal shall not enter the intersection to make the movement indicated by the arrow and, unless entering the intersection to make a movement permitted by another signal, shall stop at a clearly marked limit line, but if none, before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection, or if none, then before entering the intersection, and shall remain stopped until an indication permitting movement is shown.

(d) Unless otherwise directed by a pedestrian control signal as provided in Section 21456, a pedestrian facing a steady circular red or red arrow signal shall not enter the roadway.
I hate legalese. Had to read that about 3 times before it made sense. :?

nebolic
01-12-2004, 04:21 PM
you should be good, dont worry too much about it, at the least you can go to traffic school so your insurance rates go up. BTW i see that a lot of people who responded on this board lives in cupertino/san jose. I am in cupertino on some weekends, my parents live in cupertino, so wheres everybody else at? someone wanna email me at [email protected] or PM to let me know when you guys get together. i might swing by when i do drop into town.

Oh yeah Chris, good luck.

evo_dadi
01-12-2004, 04:23 PM
were having a local meet tonite in sj if your in town just check it out in the meet section.

chris
01-12-2004, 04:24 PM
yeah it's just mom is bitching lol. i go to school around cupertino. as you can see i was on my way to school early that i was in no rush and not expecting any ticket. cop said accidents happen =\ yeah gotta go traffic school else try to take that online course instead of wasting 8hrs or so not sure what it was in a classroom. thanks for helping out though.

chris
01-12-2004, 04:26 PM
Off to traffic school with you! :) Luckily you can do it online now; see http://www.onlinetrafficsafety.com/

The only catch is if you do it online you have to make an appointment to do a written (multiple choice) exam. The exam questions are exactly the same as the one from the course. I showed up for mine, was first to finish (in just under 15 minutes) and aced it (100%). Boo-yah! :lol:

oh yah... about this, where do you call to make an appointment? is it on that site? ill just follow if it is.

nebolic
01-12-2004, 04:40 PM
oops i meant insurance rates wont go up

leif
01-12-2004, 08:01 PM
psh...i got probation for a traffic violation..beat that. i was only going 60 in a 35 too!!

vtluu
01-12-2004, 08:09 PM
oh yah... about this, where do you call to make an appointment? is it on that site? ill just follow if it is.
I think when you pay your fine and specify that you want to do traffic school, you'll then receive in the mail some instructions on how to sign up.

I signed up online through that website I pointed to; but you can't do it until you've received the docket number or whatever it is that you get after you pay the fine, I think. Once you're finished the online course, you use the website to choose when & where to do the written exam.

chris
01-12-2004, 10:33 PM
psh...i got probation for a traffic violation..beat that. i was only going 60 in a 35 too!!

:bows:

howiEVO8
01-12-2004, 11:09 PM
man that sucks, that could have been another item for you evo = x

blitzkrgCT9A
01-13-2004, 12:26 AM
www.ticketassassin.com

read it and it will help you fight your tickets and win! :)

howiEVO8
01-13-2004, 04:36 AM
www.ticketassassin.com

read it and it will help you fight your tickets and win! :)

ROFL oh wow! that shit is hilarious...damn, I learned something new!
gosh i'm starting to love reading so much now :)

howiEVO8
01-13-2004, 04:46 AM
Here it is: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21453.htm

Circular Red or Red Arrow

21453. (a) A driver facing a steady circular red signal alone shall stop at a marked limit line, but if none, before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection or, if none, then before entering the intersection, and shall remain stopped until an indication to proceed is shown, except as provided in subdivision (b).

(b) Except when a sign is in place prohibiting a turn, a driver, after stopping as required by subdivision (a), facing a steady circular red signal, may turn right, or turn left from a one-way street onto a one-way street. A driver making that turn shall yield the right-of-way to pedestrians lawfully within an adjacent crosswalk and to any vehicle that has approached or is approaching so closely as to constitute an immediate hazard to the driver, and shall continue to yield the right-of-way to that vehicle until the driver can proceed with reasonable safety.

(c) A driver facing a steady red arrow signal shall not enter the intersection to make the movement indicated by the arrow and, unless entering the intersection to make a movement permitted by another signal, shall stop at a clearly marked limit line, but if none, before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection, or if none, then before entering the intersection, and shall remain stopped until an indication permitting movement is shown.

(d) Unless otherwise directed by a pedestrian control signal as provided in Section 21456, a pedestrian facing a steady circular red or red arrow signal shall not enter the roadway.
I hate legalese. Had to read that about 3 times before it made sense. :?

haha i've read it once already and i dont think im gonna read it again and again till i underestand it tonight...im tired...o.O...

maybe tomorrow when im more awake...i'll take another go at it hehe