PDA

View Full Version : TIRE PSI

DnB_design
09-29-2004, 09:13 AM
:driving: Please post your psi... :bow:

I will have it on 32f & 29b until i hear otherwise... 8)

vtluu
09-29-2004, 09:36 AM
43 front, 39 back (cold) on my Falken Azenis Sports. Basically I leave it alone after autocross, where I usually run it up to something like 46/42 hot.

The way I figure it, I want the pressures that give me the best handling. Sure I lose a bit of comfort but I don't really care, I didn't get this car for comfort.

IMO the recommended pressures for the stock are way too low; I'd go at least 5 psi over those.

Jamie@WORKS
09-29-2004, 10:04 AM
I typically run 41F/38R. I recently dropped them both a few pounds to make my commute a little more comfortable ;)

wilson1
09-29-2004, 10:13 AM
What tire pressure should it be on the track?

vtluu
09-29-2004, 11:56 AM
Depends on a variety of things: first and foremost the tires you're using. For example, Hoosiers take very low pressure. Street tires require greater pressure to keep the sidewalls stiff.

You'll want some tire chalk to put on the sidewalls of the tires to see how far up you get wear. If the chalk gets rubbed off too far up the sidewall, you probably need more pressure. Also, use a pyrometer to take temperature readings off different parts of the tire. Basically the goal is to get even temperature across the tire, comparing readings from the inside shoulder, middle of the tread, and outside shoulder. You adjust tire pressure and camber to do this.

Tire temperature matters because a given tire is most grippy within a certain temperature range. Below that range, the tire compound is too hard; above that range, the tire may get "greasy". Each type of tire and compound has a different optimal range.

On street tires, I'd say you probably need a bit less pressure than for autocross where you get a lot more sudden and intense loading of the sidewalls. But that's just a guess.

kimmievo
09-29-2004, 12:36 PM
I do 42 all the way around

ace33joe
09-29-2004, 04:46 PM
Wow, over 40psi? Isn't the maximum inflation pressure is like 44psi for stock tires?

I inflated 1~2 psi over stock recommendation when cold, but I got back to stock recommendation after Snorre blamed that 1~2 psi more pressure for cupping on my tires and excessive road noise. :(

jondukes
09-29-2004, 04:48 PM
wont more in the front push more?i always did the advans 36f and 38b never had front push before some oversteer wich seemed best IMO

vtluu
09-29-2004, 05:46 PM
I've always been taught to maintain a 3-5 psi differential betwen front and back on this car, with more psi going into the more heavily-loaded end. You need to maintain a high enough pressure to keep your sidewalls stiff to keep your tires from rolling over to keep your grip optimal (if you're rolling on the shoulder/side of your tires rather than the tread, you're getting much less grip--not to mention damaging the tire). More grip in front means less push.

evo_dadi
09-29-2004, 08:06 PM
i got 45 front/40 rear on cold.

RonV
09-29-2004, 08:17 PM
You guys are running way to much pressure for the street.

vtluu
09-29-2004, 10:08 PM
Just because we run higher pressures than you like, doesn't make it "too much". :roll:

Give me a good reason why I shouldn't run those pressures? I mean, maybe there is a good reason and I'm ignorant... but I'm not going to run lower pressures just 'cuz you said so.

jondukes
09-29-2004, 10:31 PM
wont running tires near max inflation bowe the middle of your tires out ,wearing hard on the center of your tire not giving sidewall proper contact?
what happens when you take a spirited drive dont they get really overinflated and start sliding around??
these pressures are unheard of in my sector jus wondering

vtluu
09-29-2004, 11:00 PM
wont running tires near max inflation bowe the middle of your tires out ,wearing hard on the center of your tire not giving sidewall proper contact?
what happens when you take a spirited drive dont they get really overinflated and start sliding around??
these pressures are unheard of in my sector jus wondering
I even out the tire wear by wearing the shoulders down at auto-x. ;)

My front tires wear faster on the inside because I have a bit of toe-out in front. Again, auto-x helps to even that out since hard cornering will scrub the outside of the tire. By "help" I mean it also helps to wear out the tire about 5x as fast. :lol:

As for "spirited" driving, I can see how it might bump up your pressures by a few PSI but I think if you're driving hard enough to really run up the pressures, you need to be worrying about a lot more than your tire wear. :shock:

09-30-2004, 06:30 AM
jondukes you are correct, those high pressures do nothing but damage to the tires when used on a public road. The high pressures mentioned in this post should be used for Autox only and never on the street.

The ideas and reasons are day and night between the two (street and track). To the original poster I will say that the recommended pressure for the stock Advans is just fine. Make sure the car has a good alignment, I can recommend a shop in Fresno for you.

8)

EVO GRIM
09-30-2004, 06:43 AM
Forget to log in?
I run 38 back 40 front all the time with stock alignment settings. 10k and tires are wearing very evenly.

DnB_design
09-30-2004, 09:12 AM
I have raised my by 5 psi... :bigglasses:
Their is a nice difference for my spirited driving..

Gone Racin
09-30-2004, 09:29 AM
... don't end up being the next thing comin’ out of a canal! :wink:

DnB_design
09-30-2004, 09:34 AM
:lol: No..... just coming out of the booth is enough for me :!: :lol:

RonV
09-30-2004, 09:56 AM
Just because we run higher pressures than you like, doesn't make it "too much". :roll:

Give me a good reason why I shouldn't run those pressures? I mean, maybe there is a good reason and I'm ignorant... but I'm not going to run lower pressures just 'cuz you said so.

There are several reasons not to run real high pressures on the street.
None of them have to due with autocrossing. Alot of it hase to due with overall spring rate as well as saftey. Actually, I don't care what pressures you run. This thread is supposed to be a disscussion, I just chimed in my opinion. Personally I would hate to hear about someone having a tire related crash or injury because they"heard" that thier car will handle better with 45 psi. I don't think your ignorant buy am I'm suprized at the venom and sarcassim directed toward my coment. I respect everyones input here, including yours. Take what you "hear" on this board with a grain of salt.

Have fun out there.

Ron

vtluu
09-30-2004, 10:23 AM
Hey Ron, sorry I wasn't trying to be "venemous" and/or sarcastic, just irked that you seemed to throw a comment out there with nothing to back it up--just wanted you to elaborate a bit more on your opinion.

RonV
09-30-2004, 10:29 AM
Hey Ron, sorry I wasn't trying to be "venemous" and/or sarcastic, just irked that you seemed to throw a comment out there with nothing to back it up--just wanted you to elaborate a bit more on your opinion.

We cool. 8)

kimmievo
09-30-2004, 12:26 PM
So, is it a bad thing that I am running 42 psi all the way around? That's what my evo had when I pulled it off the lot the night I bought it. Since the dealership had it inflated to that psi, I keep it the same. I haven't noticed any unusual tire wear. Should I change the psi?

vtluu
09-30-2004, 12:43 PM
My Evo had pressures close to 50 psi all around off the lot. :shock: Apparently they over-pressure the tires for transportation (on a car carrier truck). So make sure you or the dealer checks the pressures before you take it off the lot!

GokuSSJ4
09-30-2004, 08:37 PM

for the street 36psi all 4 tires :cool:
for the track w/ mueller set up 34FR 36FL 36RR 38RL works amazing!!

GokuSSJ4
09-30-2004, 08:38 PM
I've always been taught to maintain a 3-5 psi differential betwen front and back on this car, with more psi going into the more heavily-loaded end. You need to maintain a high enough pressure to keep your sidewalls stiff to keep your tires from rolling over to keep your grip optimal (if you're rolling on the shoulder/side of your tires rather than the tread, you're getting much less grip--not to mention damaging the tire). More grip in front means less push.
you will not have a problem with tires like Advans on keeping a stiff side wall