PDA

View Full Version : Muffler Delete Question?

Pleasanton Dude
10-22-2007, 08:56 PM
Can someone one please help me justify buying a muffler delete for $300 when i could just remove the muffler itself. In my mind this would be the ultimate "muffler delete". Besides cosmetic reasons, what are the draw backs?

Keep in mind that i am a novice. Car is equipped with the works 303 Package

Thanks

earlyapex aka jack ass
10-22-2007, 09:02 PM
your mid pipe would drag across the ground as the muffler and downpipe are the only hangers in the system. ;)

You could probably get a muffler delete made at a good muffler shop for much less than $300. It's just a pipe and a tip with some simple bends.

evo8dustu
10-22-2007, 09:03 PM
your mid pipe would drag across the ground as the muffler and downpipe are the only hangers in the system. ;)

You could probably get a muffler delete made at a good muffler shop for much less than $300. It's just a pipe and a tip with some simple bends.

the midpipe has a hanger at the end

earlyapex aka jack ass
10-22-2007, 09:04 PM
the midpipe has a hanger at the end

No it does not. The axleback with muffler does.

EDIT: Nevermind you are right, been a long time since I looked at a stock exhaust. ;)

Either way, a muffler delete is one bend, a flange, one hanger and a tip. Any good muffler shop can build that for not much money.

Matz
10-22-2007, 09:07 PM
Can someone one please help me justify buying a muffler delete for $300 when i could just remove the muffler itself. In my mind this would be the ultimate "muffler delete". Besides cosmetic reasons, what are the draw backs?

Keep in mind that i am a novice. Car is equipped with the works 303 Package

So then I guess you're talking about the WORKS AB. You can get them used here, I think there are two more people selling theirs. Make sure you buy the kind you want -- there are two styles, straight cut and angled cut. The angled cut looks like the ABM from the rear, and is very nice. dload just sold his AB for $50. Used price is usually around $150, I think.

Pleasanton Dude
10-22-2007, 09:16 PM
Good idea...Thanks everyone for the quick replies.

Anyone have a angled cut Works AB for sale?

Matz
10-22-2007, 10:19 PM
Use the advanced search, and limit your searches to Private and Classified Ads, then make sure you select "Topic subjects only", and use keywords like FS WORKS AB, or FS WORKS muffler delete. Then you get stuff like this:

http://www.norcalevo.net/forum/index.php/topic,22053.0.html
http://www.norcalevo.net/forum/index.php/topic,14796.msg208293.html#msg208293
http://www.norcalevo.net/forum/index.php/topic,22043.0.html

Hope this helps.

dl_EVO
10-24-2007, 08:43 PM
I have a 2.5" muffler delete i'm selling for $40 bucks. PM me if interested. It helped me make 287whp on GST dyno. Buy it now! :)

I am replacing it sometime soon when I get my cat-back on.

player67
10-26-2007, 05:43 PM
Hey werent you the guy with the "stolen" evo

PANGES
10-26-2007, 05:46 PM
Hey werent you the guy with the "stolen" evo

lol. I remember that.

redvolution
10-26-2007, 10:13 PM
not that anyone cares, but the vehicle code requires a muffler

that and it will make the car damn loud (unless you have a cat and then it's not so bad)

all that said, I don't have one b/c it won't fit inside my diffuser and I rarely drive the car on the road

byt
10-26-2007, 10:55 PM
^^ does the code really? so how do stock srt-4s get away with it then

earlyapex aka jack ass
10-27-2007, 12:31 AM

Good question, you sure they don't have a inline muffler earlier in the system? I haven't ever looked at one long enough to check

California Vehicle Code:

"Adequate Muffler Required

27150. (a) Every motor vehicle subject to registration shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise, and no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device.

(b) Except as provided in Division 16.5 (commencing with Section 38000) with respect to off-highway motor vehicles subject to identification, every passenger vehicle operated off the highways shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained so as to meet the requirements of Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200), and no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device.

(c) The provisions of subdivision (b) shall not be applicable to passenger vehicles being operated off the highways in an organized racing or competitive event conducted under the auspices of a recognized sanctioning body or by permit issued by the local governmental authority having jurisdiction.
Amended Ch. 558, Stats. 1977. Effective January 1, 1978. Supersedes Ch. 579"

R-Ev0LuTi0N
10-27-2007, 01:53 AM
if you plan to get a jdm rear...get an actual muffler delete instead of removing the axle back...so-called friend of mine had an sti, removed his axle back so he can get the loudness and burned his rear diffuser..he took it off and tried to give it to a buddy of mine who owned a suby for free...seriously wtf is he gonna do with a burnt pos...back on topic, i'd still recommened you get the actual muffler delete.

byt
10-27-2007, 02:15 AM

Good question, you sure they don't have a inline muffler earlier in the system? I haven't ever looked at one long enough to check

heheh neither have I. maybe they just have really good lobbyists and were able to pass the turbo off as a muffler :lol:

MR Dan
10-30-2007, 11:40 PM
heres my custom muffler delete...
http://members.cox.net/evomr/Legalis%20R/pipe%20under.jpg
http://members.cox.net/evomr/Legalis%20R/pipe%20rear1.jpg

mated to the Fujitsubo Legalis R system...
http://members.cox.net/evomr/Legalis%20R/system2.jpg

Matz
10-31-2007, 06:52 AM
hey, that looks really nice!

Pleasanton Dude
11-07-2007, 09:58 PM
dL_EVOÂ* you have PM

Ive decided to hand my car over to GST to install Cams, DP,FP, and a RRE Rally Cat.

I hope after the install it will be loud enough to pissÂ* my girlfriend off

If its still not ill throw the muffler delete on or be the first to make the SRT fit the EVO :D

player67
11-08-2007, 11:30 AM
SRT-4s DO NOT have any muffler in the oem exhaust system. They have a catted downpipe and 2 resonators