PDA

View Full Version : "Check Engine Soon" light????

garrick70
10-03-2004, 04:56 PM
I was pulling my car onto ramps this afternoon to install my Helix High Flow cat, and the Check engine light came on while half way up the ramps. I have 4364 miles on the car and the mods listed below. The High Flow cat has not been installed yet. Any ideas?? Thanks for your help. :D

brwnrice
10-03-2004, 05:06 PM
hmm...did you try to reset the ecu?

garrick70
10-03-2004, 05:37 PM
hmm...did you try to reset the ecu?

Hmmm.... How do I do that? Will it change my P2 settings? My neighbor (mechanic) said that it has to be emissions related due to it being the amber "Service Engine Soon" light.

SouthernCrane
10-03-2004, 06:08 PM
Just disconnect the battery for a minute or 2 then reconnect. If you lived closer I could use my OBDII scanner on the car. I think you can have Pepboys or Kragen scan it for free though.

garrick70
10-03-2004, 06:10 PM
Just disconnect the battery for a minute or 2 then reconnect. If you lived closer I could use my OBDII scanner on the car. I think you can have Pepboys or Kragen scan it for free though.

Will it still show the code after resetting the battery? I still want to know what the problem is.

SouthernCrane
10-03-2004, 06:31 PM
No, it won't show the code unless it pops back up again, and your P2 will be fine. If you want to know the code, you have to take it to a place that has a scanner for the car.

LEVIII
10-03-2004, 06:34 PM
I have an OBD II scanner, you live in Roseville right? lemme know if you want and Ill run up there real quick and we can pull it.

garrick70
10-03-2004, 07:08 PM
I have an OBD II scanner, you live in Roseville right? lemme know if you want and Ill run up there real quick and we can pull it.

Well, I followed Southerncrane's advice and the light turned off. Thanks Bryan. LEVIII, If it comes on again I will take you up on your offer to scan it. Nice to know you have one since you live so close.

Dr. Evo
10-03-2004, 07:09 PM
Pull the code first. Why just pretend that there is nothing wrong by erasing the code before you check it? Why does everyone always reccomend that the person just pull the battery cable right off the bat? I would want to know what is causing the code, personally.

garrick70
10-03-2004, 07:26 PM
Pull the code first. Why just pretend that there is nothing wrong by erasing the code before you check it? Why does everyone always reccomend that the person just pull the battery cable right off the bat? I would want to know what is causing the code, personally.

Yeah, I was a little concrened about that. Hopefully it will come on again if it is something serious. :roll:

nebolic
10-03-2004, 07:56 PM
maybe you finally got the p0300 (misfire code). which is really common. In any case, remember to pull the code if it comes on again.

nebo

btw, if you go to autozone or kragens, they can pull the code for you for free.

garrick70
10-03-2004, 09:06 PM
maybe you finally got the p0300 (misfire code). which is really common. In any case, remember to pull the code if it comes on again.

nebo

btw, if you go to autozone or kragens, they can pull the code for you for free.

Thanks Nebo, Kragen is right down the street. Doesn't WORKS have a reflash to take care of the p0300 misfire code?

SouthernCrane
10-03-2004, 10:13 PM
Yeah, WORKS does have a reflash to take care of the P0300 code.

vtluu
10-04-2004, 12:29 AM
I think I got a CEL once (after about 13k miles) due to low coolant level in the reservoir tank (is that possible?). Anyway I refilled it, disconnected/reconnected the battery, and everything was good again; haven't had a CEL in the 3k miles since. Just something to check...

nebolic
10-04-2004, 06:19 AM
I think I got a CEL once (after about 13k miles) due to low coolant level in the reservoir tank (is that possible?). Anyway I refilled it, disconnected/reconnected the battery, and everything was good again; haven't had a CEL in the 3k miles since. Just something to check...

ooo I checked my coolant reservoir the other day and it looks like its running low too??? kind of odd, but I think i'm gonna refill mine up pretty soon.

nebo
:D

garrick70
10-04-2004, 09:51 AM

Thanks Tam, I will check it.

Jamie@WORKS
10-04-2004, 12:59 PM
WORKS does offer a P2 flash that's integrated with the P0300 if that's the case. Just let us know if we can help you out Garrick.

garrick70
10-04-2004, 03:21 PM
WORKS does offer a P2 flash that's integrated with the P0300 if that's the case. Just let us know if we can help you out Garrick.

If the warning light comes up again I will give you guys a call. So far, so Good. :wink:

xchoirboy
01-06-2005, 10:33 AM
Last night after I came to a stop my idle dropped (more or less plummeted) upon restart my light came on. Recently I've added an Helix DP. Do you think my tune could be thrown off? Or maybe just a bad batch of gas? Odd thing is this morning the light wasn't on :?: :? If I get the OBI read do you still think the error is still in there?

evoredy
01-06-2005, 10:52 AM
Last night after I came to a stop my idle dropped (more or less plummeted) upon restart my light came on. Recently I've added an Helix DP. Do you think my tune could be thrown off? Or maybe just a bad batch of gas? Odd thing is this morning the light wasn't on :?: :? If I get the OBI read do you still think the error is still in there?

did you check to see if the DP and exhaust components are properly grounded? maybe the wet weather caused some mis-continuity.

the ECU should have that code flagged, but i'm not sure. you might have to talk to the experts... :wink:
at...http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/images/avatars/117603905414929bb481e4.gif or vishnu.

ovenmit331
01-06-2005, 11:45 AM
the error code stays in there until the comp is reset (detach battery for five or ten minutes or something like that) so you can still read it with an OBI

evoredy
01-07-2005, 11:54 AM

did you check to see if the DP and exhaust components are properly grounded? maybe the wet weather caused some mis-continuity.

the ECU should have that code flagged, but i'm not sure. you might have to talk to the experts... :wink:
at...http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/images/avatars/117603905414929bb481e4.gif or vishnu.

oh yeah, make sure your fuel filler cap is snug. mine did something similar whit I tried to fill up with the motor on. :?

EvoVIII
01-07-2005, 12:57 PM

oh yeah, make sure your fuel filler cap is snug. mine did something similar whit I tried to fill up with the motor on. :?
why would u try to fill up with ur motor on?? is a bad idea towards u and other people at the gas station, plz shut off ur engine while filling up..

vtluu
01-07-2005, 01:14 PM
why would u try to fill up with ur motor on?? is a bad idea towards u and other people at the gas station, plz shut off ur engine while filling up..
I don't do it (well I almost did it once accidentally), but I'm curious as to why it's a bad idea? Seems to me there isn't really any greater risk of fire, is there? Or is there some other problem it could cause that I'm not aware of?

evoredy
01-07-2005, 02:01 PM
thanks for gettin' my back, vtluu.

I don't fill up with the motor on. if you want know WHY I did that, it was because I didn't want to shut off the motor right away.

we were talking about CEL's and not gas station superstition, EvoVIII.

so what do people with turbo timers do? sit in there car for 1+mins at the pump? :wink:

only asking.

jbenosa
01-07-2005, 03:05 PM
I too, unfortunately am in the same predicament. I haven't had time to reset the code. I believe my complication arose from the emissions. I installed my Straight pipe and Exhaust myself, and I hear a leak as the bolts are not correctly tightened. I will unplug the battery and will check my O2 sensor that connects to the Hi-power exhaust. I will try and resolve this problem tonight and if I still catch a CEL I will continue with this post. I have the Helix Straight pipe and Down pipe as well.

evoredy
01-07-2005, 11:32 PM
I too, unfortunately am in the same predicament. I haven't had time to reset the code. I believe my complication arose from the emissions. I installed my Straight pipe and Exhaust myself, and I hear a leak as the bolts are not correctly tightened. I will unplug the battery and will check my O2 sensor that connects to the Hi-power exhaust. I will try and resolve this problem tonight and if I still catch a CEL I will continue with this post. I have the Helix Straight pipe and Down pipe as well.

fix all the leaks first.

most probably the second o2 sensor is not functioning correctly or it just doesn't like the cat-delete. again/verify the ground/or sand the seating areas on the intermediate pipe (if you have one). bad flange connections will DELETE your exhaust grounding (bad).

keep us posted!

we need to make a EVO FAQ! :)

jbenosa
01-08-2005, 05:08 PM
The light turned off, and I did not even have a chance to try and resolve the problem. I'll continue to monitor and keep my fingers crossed. Thanks for your help Evoredy!

xchoirboy
01-08-2005, 08:28 PM
Got a chance to pull the code and this is what it came up with. Whats the deal?

P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor
P0335 Crank Shaft

evoredy
01-08-2005, 08:44 PM

P0335 Crank Shaft

interesting. check the connectors to your crank position sensor and cam sensor ( i think they are connected/so if one goes bad it may flag the other one.). also, if there is a transistor unit, check that too/and all the coil packs. that doesn't seem to be exhaust related...

is this the same as random misfire code? anyone?

maybe the DP resonation is throwing off those 2 sensors. :lol:

gOt BoOsT
08-22-2005, 05:20 PM
my light came on...is there anyone in Sac. area who could "help out" :cry:

nebolic
08-22-2005, 05:32 PM
take it to autozone, have them pull the code for you (it's free) and then post up the code on here and we'll help you decipher it.

more than likely you have the infamous P0300 code

nebo

gOt BoOsT
08-22-2005, 05:35 PM
thanx :wink:

MitsuMan
08-22-2005, 08:37 PM

ooo I checked my coolant reservoir the other day and it looks like its running low too??? kind of odd, but I think i'm gonna refill mine up pretty soon.

nebo
:D

not too odd its mixed with water its gonna evaporate some over time the res is just an exansion tank for the fluid I don't know if the EVO will set that code for our coolant res I don't think so I've seen it on VW's but they have the tank as part of the sealed coolant system a little different from what we have
as for the DTC that guy set did you stall? if soo it could be a cam sensor code like out of sink or something like that I do it every once in a while. It code be a misfirePO300 but I've never got that one falsly like people are talking about when I get the PO300 there is definatly a cylinder out I can feel it!!!!
:idea: You shoudl just leave the SES light on and see if the ECU turns it off if so there is no problem. It happens after 3 consecutive trips of 40 warm up cycles with no failure this way u know if it has a problem or not if you just clear the code it may come back on once the OBDII monitors run. :idea:

gOt BoOsT
08-23-2005, 12:18 PM
thanks nebolic i went to autozone and used the obdII scanner...po420...the high flow cat was actin up :wink:

nebolic
08-23-2005, 12:29 PM
thanks nebolic i went to autozone and used the obdII scanner...po420...the high flow cat was actin up :wink:

good stuff, nothing serious then :D what brand of hi flo cat you using?

nebo

gOt BoOsT
08-23-2005, 12:41 PM
WORKS HFC

vtluu
08-23-2005, 12:57 PM
Interesting; I have a WORKS HFC and it's never thrown a P0420. In fact it was specifically engineered with that in mind, I'm told. I guess it can still happen though; just clear the code and don't worry about it.

MitsuMan
08-24-2005, 12:50 PM
Interesting; I have a WORKS HFC and it's never thrown a P0420. In fact it was specifically engineered with that in mind, I'm told. I guess it can still happen though; just clear the code and don't worry about it.
if it set it onse it will set it again the cat is just not efficient enough to stop the post cat sensor from switching rich to lean I'd get a cat cell fixer kit if it bothers you

MitsuMan
08-24-2005, 12:56 PM
I don't do it (well I almost did it once accidentally), but I'm curious as to why it's a bad idea? Seems to me there isn't really any greater risk of fire, is there? Or is there some other problem it could cause that I'm not aware of?

its static electicity that the concern is about that and the pump might over fill if the tank level is being change I do it all the time but I Make shure I ground myself. the car dosn't like it though it starts to idle like shit

MitsuMan
08-24-2005, 01:04 PM

P0335 Crank Shaft

the deal is when you stalled your car or your car stalled by itself(maybe you have a bov vented to atmoshere) the car took a extra long time to restart right??? I thought so,,,(happend to me once or twice),, this is when the car set the cam and crank code just because it saw the enabling criteria for those codes no start with extensive cranking if you stall out and don't turn the ignition all the way off and then start it, the computer can get fooled when it temporarily loses the cam signal. because this is a constantly monitored sensor(OBDII COMPONENT MONITOR) the light went off as soon as a complete warm up cycle was done with no fault found other systems have to complete consecutive 3 trips(enabling criteria met and no fault occurs) to turn off the light on its own

am I confusing anyone????? 8) 8)

vtluu
08-24-2005, 01:18 PM
the deal is when you stalled your car or your car stalled by itself(maybe you have a bov vented to atmoshere) the car took a extra long time to restart right???
That's happened to me before and I got the same codes. So it's not really a problem? (Sorry I didn't really understand your explanation.)

Last weekend at auto-x I fueled up Navid's car with the engine running and I'm still here to tell the tale. 8)

MitsuMan
08-24-2005, 01:25 PM
no its not a problem your car still runs good its just a false code if the cam and or crank sensor failed you'd know cause the thing wouldn't start

evoredy
08-28-2005, 03:48 AM
no its not a problem your car still runs good its just a false code if the cam and or crank sensor failed you'd know cause the thing wouldn't start

aren't random misfire codes caused by jitter on the cam/crank signal flow and/or a combination of other factors (e.g. BUGGY ECU's)?