PDA

View Full Version : o2 housing vs. 10.5 hotside vs. rally cat (or all combined?)

typhoon 28
10-24-2007, 11:32 PM
Â* Â* Â* Â* I want complete the flow out of the Buschur turboback on this here 8. I was considering the 02 housing (either ported or tubular steel), & the 10.5 hotside from the 9's. But I heard the spool time is longer w/ the 10.5, but the top end is better. I don't care for too much top end because most of the driving is lower speeds, & I don't care if it will make ridiculous top-end if it takes forever to get there. I was wondering if the smoother 02 housing on the stock 9.8 hotside will still spool pretty quick? - don't have tons to invest in a gt30 or anything like that now, but minor stuff that make some difference I can do.

Â* Â*Another consideration is the rally cat because it sounds like it's not really a cat at all. Would probably have to get a re-tune unless there is another way to "fool" the 02s. Any thoughts?????

AWDrift
10-25-2007, 03:33 AM
a ported eBay 02 housing should be fine. stick with your stock 9.8 hotside. and the RRE rally cat is pretty much a resonated test pipe.

if these are all of the mods you plan on doing for now, go ahead and get a tune to optimize your modifications.

steevo8
10-25-2007, 07:30 AM
TME turbo might be a good investment. You will have better spool then your 9.8 and gain more top end as well, so there is really no down side to it.

typhoon 28
10-25-2007, 07:39 AM
a ported eBay 02 housing should be fine. stick with your stock 9.8 hotside. and the RRE rally cat is pretty much a resonated test pipe.

if these are all of the mods you plan on doing for now, go ahead and get a tune to optimize your modifications.

actually it's already tunned by Bryan @ GST + Buschur TBE + AEM short ram intake + samco intercooler hoses + GM boost solenoid making 241whp/243wtq (forgot to mention that -sorrys)

steevo8
10-25-2007, 07:46 AM
yeah you could do a lot better then that with a few small things and not loose any spool/low end.
licp, o2 housing, test pipe, 255walbro, 10.5 hotside and I would guess that you would see at least 260/255 with a much broader curve. It would have 0 effect on your slow speed driving.

typhoon 28
10-25-2007, 09:23 PM
yeah you could do a lot better then that with a few small things and not loose any spool/low end.
licp, o2 housing, test pipe, 255walbro, 10.5 hotside and I would guess that you would see at least 260/255 with a much broader curve. It would have 0 effect on your slow speed driving.

That's all well & good, but I was talkin' baby steps bro. Just some other minor tweaks that make noticable differences because I'm not loaded w/ cash like some of these guys w/ brand new 9's. & it's primarily a daily w/ some weekend events so not to go too extreme w/ bolt-ons for right now.

& I thought the 255 walbro was used if you have a highly tunned motor, not minor stuff? If you think it's necessary, I'll look into it, but the 02 housing is definately coming as soon as I re-establish the financial capability to purchase. I just installed the buschur 5 speed aluminum shifter bushings I ordered. So far, the best $30 I ever spent on a car. It has no trouble getting into gear through high revs, I think the stock rubber stuff was waayyy stretched & I had trouble shifting @ high revs. Just another minor thing that made a big diff.

See I'm the type who would rather spend a minimal amount on parts & improve my skills behind the wheel more often instead. I used to feal the opposite, but you learn after 12+years on the road (at least you hope). Even this car w/ minimal tunning totaly sh**'s on my former cars w/ more parts.

Thanks for the input, but I'm continuing @ a slower pace & getting used to it more before I make too much power out of it & end up harder to control.

AWDrift
10-25-2007, 10:20 PM
ah okay.

then for now, go with 02 housing, licp, and a testpipe/rallycat. going from a works hfc to the RRE rally cat was like :shock: wow...on the butt dyno

steevo8
10-25-2007, 10:30 PM
you can get a tme for $400 a licp for $125 Â*a 255 for $90 and a o2 housing for $75ish. Personaly if money were that much of an issue I would just start buying stuff and not even install it cause each one should have a tune after and none of them will make enough of a difference by its self to warrent the time and effort. Paticularly the o2 housing cause its a bitch to install. The pump is not necessary but its a nice piece of mind to have that extra safety margin.

typhoon 28
12-09-2007, 03:55 PM
The TME is starting to sound interesting. Do you need bigger injectors for that as well? I might do the tubular up-pipe w/ TME combined if it makes a bigger difference. I just thought you would need more fuel delivery for a higher output turbo, mabey it's not as extreme as a GT30 or something?

Do you think the o2 housing is a waste on the stock turbo?

nightwalker
12-10-2007, 10:05 AM
I have an 03 as well and still have the stock turbo. From my mods, I can guarantee that the O2 housing (I have an ebay one) the lower intercooler pipe, and test pipe all made improvements in spool and power. I also have 272 cams and cam gears, with bigger injectors and a fuel pump. I made 277 on eip's dyno.

Honestly, sometimes, I feel like my car spools too fast. :D

evo_ate_gsr
12-10-2007, 10:25 AM
I think anything that smoothes the air is a nice mod. especially on teh stockie unit. i think the 10.5 is an awesome mod.... but like i saw a few other say, just start buying bits and pieces now, and build up a collection, then slap em all on at once, and get the tune done then.

I say go test pipe, Titek o2, LICP. either way, good luck, and most importantly, enjoy the car. i built the crap out of my VIII, and it was my daily driver for a while. It started to be more of a chore to drive everyday, than a pleasure.

trinydex
12-12-2007, 04:10 PM
i've never heard of anyone keeping the 9.8 for boost up characteristics.

i've never heard of anyone making less power from a rallicat

there are ways to make o2 sensor tricks. search in the how to forum.

the aftermarket o2 will make more than the ported stock.

trinydex
12-12-2007, 04:11 PM
The TME is starting to sound interesting. Do you need bigger injectors for that as well? I might do the tubular up-pipe w/ TME combined if it makes a bigger difference. I just thought you would need more fuel delivery for a higher output turbo, mabey it's not as extreme as a GT30 or something?

Do you think the o2 housing is a waste on the stock turbo?
the tme is a stock turbo.

http://www.norcalevo.net/forum/index.php/topic,17875.0.html

typhoon 28
12-16-2007, 01:10 AM
Stock - but they changed the internals. It should a little better then mine. Yer sayin' it's not worth it over say a 20G / green/ gt30? I already said I don't need a gigantic turbo. Not into killing myself w/ uncontrollable power. I mean is the tme the same as the 9 turbo sort of w/ different turbine ect..? I read your explanation before, but it does'nt mean much to me. You probably have a history w/ these things, I just knew friends w/ eclipses/talons & a few evo 8's. I just got into one of my own back in sep.

All I want to know is - is it worth it to go the TME route alone? or TME w/ the tubular up-pipe & licp combined to really feel it? I don't wanna do cams on a forced induction car. But a slight tubo upgrade that's affordable w/ few more bolt-on's will be fine for me.

DoggDicker
12-16-2007, 01:17 AM
My understand is that you will get more out of a TME than a IX turbo. Definitely do a LICP, helps with spool. What is a tubular up-pipe??? Just didn't realize our kaa's had one, just the STI's...
Since you autocross...you'll be in SM with an upgraded turbo, and you might as well run a LICP and a test pipe or rallye cat...to bump up your powa...

DD

typhoon 28
01-01-2008, 10:47 PM
I just figured the o2 housing was the same as an up-pipe - sorry. but is the tme worth it as direct bolt-on? or is it better to pay extra for the FP green + install kit? I've seen the green go for not that much more then the tme.

typhoon 28
02-09-2008, 11:25 AM
GOOD NEWS!! looks like I'm getting the 05' turbo w/ 10.5 hotside hopefully next weekend? is there any supporting stuff I need to add to it? yes it's a stock turbo , but is it neccesary for re-tune/ different oil & coolant lines or anything else for the bolt-on? what kinda difference in spool-up should I expect?

typhoon 28
03-26-2008, 10:16 PM
Project underway: hoping for early summer completion!!!!