PDA

View Full Version : A Lancer is not an Evo! :D

vtluu
01-13-2004, 12:04 PM
Took my Evo in to Hayward Mitsu to get the tranny (synchro) fixed this morning.

As a courtesy/rental car, Hertz gave me a blue 2004 Lancer ES. It's funny, it looks almost the same from the inside, but:
- When I step on the gas it doesn't go.
- When I step on the brakes it doesn't stop.
- When I step on the clutch my foot just hits the firewall 'cuz it's an automatic.
- When I turn the wheel it just kinda slides and understeers.

An Evo may be a Lancer, but a Lancer is most definitely not an Evo. Just thought I'd let you know. :lol:

xchoirboy
01-13-2004, 01:09 PM
hahaha - true that!

howiEVO8
01-13-2004, 01:19 PM
Took my Evo in to Hayward Mitsu to get the tranny (synchro) fixed this morning.

- When I step on the clutch my foot just hits the firewall 'cuz it's an automatic.

An Evo may be a Lancer, but a Lancer is most definitely not an Evo. Just thought I'd let you know. :lol:

haha, be carefule bro, you might think the brake pedal is the clutch...o.O

JanSolo
01-13-2004, 02:25 PM

I did that on my Sentra that lacks ABS.. and did a brake stand! Nothing like skidding out in H rated tires with cars coming at you from behind.

vtluu
01-13-2004, 02:46 PM
I'm glad I opted for the optional $9/day loss/damage waiver. My drive back to work was "fun" as the tires started squealing and the car started sliding out doing on/off ramps at "taking it easy in an Evo" speeds. :D

What especially bugs me is the steering wheel, which feels big and awkward.

howiEVO8
01-13-2004, 04:20 PM
haha yeah, cuz our evo's steering wheel is a lil bit smaller hehe...but damn i love the feel of it...driving another car seems weird to me cuz of the steering wheel size difference...o.O

howiEVO8
01-13-2004, 04:22 PM

I did that on my Sentra that lacks ABS.. and did a brake stand! Nothing like skidding out in H rated tires with cars coming at you from behind.

ever try driving an automatic and driving with 2 feet? left foot for the brake and right foot for the gas? lolzzz try that for the first time if you haven't...just make sure you're going about 40-50 mph so you can get that guaranteed whiplash! lolzzz

vtluu
01-13-2004, 04:28 PM
ever try driving an automatic and driving with 2 feet? left foot for the brake and right foot for the gas? lolzzz try that for the first time if you haven't...just make sure you're going about 40-50 mph so you can get that guaranteed whiplash! lolzzz
Well there is a reason to do "left foot braking"--as I understand it if you're going fast through a turn you may need to tap the brakes (with your left foot) to pitch the car forward a bit to shift weight onto the front tires. Haven't had occasion to practice this technique however.

howiEVO8
01-13-2004, 04:39 PM
lolz...yeah i can see i useful purpose for this but i was talking about trying it for the first time = p

its really fun even goin at 5mph lolz

evo_dadi
01-13-2004, 07:59 PM
i do that once in a while at work and i kinda got the hang of it but when im driving stick my foot somehow steps on both clutch and brake.

chris
01-13-2004, 08:39 PM
haha happens to me when i drive a automatic... for ie: my gf's car. i always ferget that im driving an automatic so sometimes i stomp the firewall lol. =X

howiEVO8
01-13-2004, 08:46 PM
haha happens to me when i drive a automatic... for ie: my gf's car. i always ferget that im driving an automatic so sometimes i stomp the firewall lol. =X

that's silly....lolz, its called the ghost clutch

chris
01-13-2004, 09:20 PM
i always put my hand on the shift thingy even if its an automatic. i pretend its like a manual. but i jsut press the button on the side cuz my right hand has nothing better else to do lol.... well easier to hold my gf's hand =X

DR_EVIL
01-14-2004, 07:35 PM
come on its the lil engine that could .....

vtluu
01-14-2004, 08:11 PM
i always put my hand on the shift thingy even if its an automatic. i pretend its like a manual. but i jsut press the button on the side cuz my right hand has nothing better else to do lol.... well easier to hold my gf's hand =X
Well, not to sound too presumptuous about it but, to quote from TurnFast's driving techniques guide (http://www.turnfast.com/tech_driving/driving_shifting.lasso):

Many people fall into two bad habits on the street when shifting. First, "Hollywood" has taught everyone that it looks cool to always leave your right hand on the shift knob. Wrong! You may as well tie your hand behind your back as leave it on the shift knob. Your hand belongs on the steering wheel--always. When you need to shift--shift, and get your hand back on the wheel. Don't even rest it on the shifter for a few seconds a head of time to "get ready." Every time your hand leaves the steering wheel you've given up 50% of the tactile feedback you have from your hands, and 50% of your capability to control the car. If you're racing with other cars around you, you never know when you may get tapped. Even when racing alone, mechanical failure may cause handling trouble. You'll want both hands on the wheel when that happens.
I found I had gotten into this bad habit, especially as someone who had recently learned to drive stick, but I've consciously broken out of it and now keep my hands squarely on the wheel whenever I'm not shifting.

For anyone interested in racing/driving techniques, I strongly recommend reading through TurnFast's guide. It's given me a lot of insight.

howiEVO8
01-14-2004, 08:14 PM
yup i agree...hehe i always drife with two hands ;)

except when my right hand is on the back of her head oOo00OOoo....rofl....j/k!!!

vtluu
01-14-2004, 09:48 PM
Good, don't let me catch you driving "gangsta style" in your Evo--one hand on the top of the wheel, you know. Otherwise I'll make you sell it and buy a hoopdie pimpmobile. :P