PDA

View Full Version : Weird bumping/rattling noise with my new exhaust

vtluu
10-14-2004, 07:03 PM
Installed a Buschur/Magnaflow catback earlier this week. Seems to fit okay, I made sure there's plenty (at least 1") of clearance between the tailpipe and the bumper. But I noticed that whenever I make a medium-hard right-hand turn I briefly hear and feel a strange low-pitched bumping/rattling from under the car. I haven't crawled under there to see what it might be yet. Anybody have an idea what might be the problem?

RonV
10-14-2004, 07:41 PM
Tam,
check the clearance at the drive shaft.

EvoVIII
10-14-2004, 07:41 PM
TAM u finally mod ur car!! Good Job!! I think u should drive it a little more and let it break in, check all the hanger to see if they are all tight, maybe some are loosen?? thats what happened to my friend car..

vtluu
10-15-2004, 12:53 PM
Thanks, I inspected the catback last night and found that indeed, the intermediate pipe is rattling against one of the brackets (the second one back of the cat) that holds the driveshaft. Doesn't seem all that serious a problem and I can barely see a scratch on the pipe, but I'm looking for something that I can wedge between the driveshaft bracket and the pipe to keep them from banging together like that. Can't use rubber because that would melt from the exhaust heat, what else can I use?

nebolic
10-15-2004, 02:05 PM
maybe you can use the heat wrap material some people use for their downpipes? that might work....

Nebo

BluEvo
10-15-2004, 04:28 PM
or you can try stiffer hangers

MarkSAE
10-15-2004, 11:06 PM
Yep, I got the kartboy hangers. Good stuff.