PDA

View Full Version : Difference between wet filters & dry element filters

chefnevo
12-04-2007, 04:35 PM
Monster sport has 2 air filters one like a k&n..the other like perrin
Anyone know what the pros and cons between the 2 are? ...is there a advantage one over the other...

here's the link I saw it on if curious...
http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=207403

mtsevovii
12-04-2007, 04:38 PM
my guess... same thing if you have a wet towel, and a dry one... wet traps more dust than dry.

wet = oiled i think.

chefnevo
12-04-2007, 04:51 PM
wet would be better in dry and dusty climates then...

whtrice
12-04-2007, 05:06 PM
Dry filters are usually one time use. Get dirty you throw away. Wet filters are reusable after cleaning and recharging with a oil compound spray.

BOOSTX2
12-04-2007, 05:12 PM
But AEM's new dryflow cone filter is reusable provided you use there spcefic
cleaning solution two bottles required per cleaning at about 8 bux per bottle..
I have a AEM oil type on the car now, I also have a AEM dryflo NIB that also fits my
Intake for future use..

PANGES
12-06-2007, 05:07 PM
From what I understand, MAF's dont really like the wet filters. You have to be careful it's not over oiled.

player67
12-07-2007, 12:01 AM
^YEP....friend over oiled his let it dry for a day then took a look at his maf 2 weeks later honeycomb was tinted red....just a lil is fine...

ZK
12-07-2007, 08:22 AM
I'd stay away from wet filters for MAF cars. I had lots of problems with K&N and my 240SX.

whtrice
12-07-2007, 08:47 AM
If maintained and oiled properly you will have no problems. :)

player67
12-07-2007, 12:33 PM
exactly^ it seems if people dont know how to do it they stay away from it. Dry filters WILL let more dust and bs in...

evo_ate_gsr
12-07-2007, 12:42 PM
When I buy an oiled filter, i usually leave it in the sun for half the day or so, just to get some of it dry out. Everytime I see a new K&N, that mofo is doused in the filter oil.

And if your MAF is all oiled up, they make MAF cleaner to get rid of that for ya.

bluedevil06
12-08-2007, 01:13 AM
why get a stock filter like the site you showed when u can just get an intake and a cone filter?

mtsevovii
12-08-2007, 01:16 AM
why get a stock filter like the site you showed when u can just get an intake and a cone filter?

cause popo's dont care about replacement filters.

evo_ate_gsr
12-08-2007, 03:47 PM
^^ exactly... and the less you can give them, the better.

I went from this...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y133/gregfromblur/Pictures%20of%20the%20Evo/DSC02189.jpg

To This...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y133/gregfromblur/My35RTT.jpg

It's kind of hard to see, but my stock AirBox is in there as well.

bluedevil06
12-08-2007, 06:35 PM

thats true but if you want more power u would go with the intake and cone filter, but....everyone likes it their own way.

mtsevovii
12-08-2007, 10:42 PM

thats true but if you want more power u would go with the intake and cone filter, but....everyone likes it their own way.

"care to backup your statement?" ;)

bluedevil06
12-08-2007, 11:01 PM
hahahaa

player67
12-08-2007, 11:15 PM
:lol:

bluedevil06
12-08-2007, 11:23 PM
It produces a smoother airflow w/ increased velocity for optimal A/F atomization, which results in increased throttle response, horsepower, torque and fuel efficiency. :lol: But you don't have to beleive what i have to say... I maybe wrong, maybe we should ask someone who knows.....

mtsevovii
12-08-2007, 11:33 PM
It produces a smoother airflow w/ increased velocity for optimal A/F atomization, which results in increased throttle response, horsepower, torque and fuel efficiency. :lol: But you don't have to beleive what i have to say... I maybe wrong, maybe we should ask someone who knows.....

i believe everything varies by the car, and the conditions.

thats why i personally dont believe the whole "cone filter is better". theres been plenty of cases where high #'s are shown on stock airbox.

same thing with ppl wanting aftermarket BOV's

earlyapex aka jack ass
12-09-2007, 01:13 AM
It produces a smoother airflow w/ increased velocity for optimal A/F atomization,

What does a Air Filter in front of a turbo, intercooler, intercooler piping, throttle body and intake manifold have to do with Air/Fuel atomization? ;)

Volume increases per stroke I can understand, but I'm not an engineer so...

evo_ate_gsr
12-09-2007, 02:34 AM
besides, isnt the stock box good up to like 400whp?, then there after it begine to be a limiting factor? And even then, how much are you really missing.

earlyapex aka jack ass
12-09-2007, 02:43 AM
besides, isnt the stock box good up to like 400whp?, then there after it begine to be a limiting factor? And even then, how much are you really missing.

At 350whp it becomes a bit of a restriction on our mustang dyno, I have found.

It freed up 24whp on my personal evo:

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/mods/EVO/evo_tunes/me/042107/26psi_airbox_vs_openair.jpg

PANGES
12-09-2007, 03:54 AM

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/mods/EVO/evo_tunes/me/042107/26psi_airbox_vs_openair.jpg

Hey Bryan, was this with your hacked up stock airbox, or was this with the filter in the engine bay without the airbox? It seems like just leaving it out ends up resulting in pretty high IAT's.

whtrice
12-09-2007, 07:45 AM
I think what he was trying to say Bryan is it gets all their lil JDM molecule asses lined up in a row so they can superman kape da biatchÂ*when itz turbo tyme.Â*Â* Â* :)

It produces a smoother airflow w/ increased velocity for optimal A/F atomization,

What does a Air Filter in front of a turbo, intercooler, intercooler piping, throttle body and intake manifold have to do with Air/Fuel atomization? ;)

earlyapex aka jack ass
12-09-2007, 10:56 AM
Hey Bryan, was this with your hacked up stock airbox, or was this with the filter in the engine bay without the airbox? It seems like just leaving it out ends up resulting in pretty high IAT's.

Filter in engine bay without anything. Yes, it can lead to high IAT's. On the track with it open I saw a full point richer AFR because of the higher intake temp. Now I have it with the stock airbox and it didnt richen up as much on track.

joshesh
12-09-2007, 11:00 AM
Bryan's stealth intake box FTW!

Positron
12-09-2007, 11:06 AM
I have the Monster Sport 2 drop-in filter. Its the wet/oil type. There are some bits of oil splashes on the bottom of the stock airbox whenever I check but none of it reaches the honeycomb or MAF sensor.

I clean the MAF with CRC maf spray like every 3 months anyway.

bluedevil06
12-09-2007, 12:07 PM

Volume increases per stroke I can understand, but I'm not an engineer so...
actually i was leaning towards the aftermarket intake, i thought that the airflow would be better with it instead of the stock intake...correct me if im wrong, im still learning... :D

bluedevil06
12-09-2007, 12:15 PM

hey bryan, can you post up another pix or your airbox. i thought i saw it before but i would like to see it again?

joshesh
12-09-2007, 12:21 PM
^Im about to do the same thing bryan did, i saw his yesterday and I will take some before and after pics of what i cut and where. Ill make a how to post or something.

player67
12-09-2007, 12:25 PM
search noobs :lol: jk I think on a stock turbo a drop in, and an intake hard pipe should do fine.

bluedevil06
12-09-2007, 03:37 PM
search noobs :lol: jk I think on a stock turbo a drop in, and an intake hard pipe should do fine.
i think your right....i made a mistake when i said with cone filter.

earlyapex aka jack ass
12-09-2007, 03:52 PM
hey bryan, can you post up another pix or your airbox. i thought i saw it before but i would like to see it again?

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/mods/EVO/stealth_intake/evo_stealth_intake01.jpg

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/mods/EVO/stealth_intake/evo_stealth_intake03.jpg

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/mods/EVO/stealth_intake/evo_stealth_intake04.jpg

:)

bluedevil06
12-09-2007, 07:53 PM
bump for a nice setup and pix....thanx bryan

DirectorSe7en
12-09-2007, 08:21 PM
http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/mods/EVO/stealth_intake/evo_stealth_intake04.jpg

That is sweet! I've never seen a set-up like that.

typhoon 28
12-16-2007, 12:52 AM
when I got this car, it didn't have the airbox. The previous owner had a universal filter bolted on the maf. I ditched that isht for a AEM short-ram w/ dryflow, heatshield & C.A.R.B. exception (for my year). If they made a dryflow drop-in like the drop-in K&N's, I'd be all for it w/ an original airbox. But ever since my previous car, I gave up on K&N (personal choice).

typhoon 28
01-01-2008, 10:32 PM
CORRECTION: AEM does make a synthetic dryflo panel filter for factory airboxes now. Don't know about the availibility for our applications yet, but the do make them.