PDA

View Full Version : Install own springs?

Sol-leks
10-21-2004, 08:24 PM
Has anyone installed their springs on their own? How hard was it to do, how much time did it take, and what tools do you need?
Thanks.

Sam

brwnrice
10-22-2004, 12:58 PM
hey sam, you need an impact wrench and a spring compressor to change the springs.

vtluu
10-22-2004, 02:42 PM
hey sam, you need an impact wrench and a spring compressor to change the springs.
Why an impact wrench? Breaker bar and muscle power not enough? (And you're a heck of a lot stronger than me! :lol:)

blueskies
10-22-2004, 04:09 PM
i haven't done any suspension work on an evo yet, but in the past here's what i've learned and used working on other cars.

- impact tools would definatly help, but a half inch socket rench with a four foot cheater bar will work. :D
- you'll also need a torque wrench. one that goes up probably to 250ftlbs. (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_SessionID=@@@@0300694957.1098486311@ @@@&BV_EngineID=ccfkadcmlhefhmmcehgcemgdffmdflk.0&vertical=TOOL&pid=00944597000&bidsite=CRAFT)
- instructions, ie a repair manual or something similar.
- spring compression tool. (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_SessionID=@@@@1986127225.1098486667@ @@@&BV_EngineID=ccfeadcmlhdlmglcehgcemgdffmdflg.0&vertical=TOOL&pid=00947057000&bidsite=CRAFT) if you get this tool, i recommend also picking up the appropriate socket to fit the bolts. 15/16 if i remember correctly.

it really helps to have someone else helping you. if things slip back together easily it shouldn't take you to long, but probably at minimum the afternoon.

brwnrice
10-22-2004, 07:46 PM
Why an impact wrench? Breaker bar and muscle power not enough? (And you're a heck of a lot stronger than me! :lol:)

not everyone is as strong as you tam hence the impact wrench :wink:

Boostd4
10-24-2004, 07:45 PM
I actually installed my springs. I would say that the only thing that would be necesary would be a set of spring compressors. Stores like Napa Auto Parts loan them out with a deposit...which you get back when you return the tools, hence no charge.

I was able to finish the job in roughly two hours with a jack and two jack stands...probably would have only taken an hour and a half if the whole car was up. I used basic hand tools...the nuts on each of the shocks came off relatively easy...much easier than my S2000.

Oh yeah...if you do it yourself...make sure to check the orientation of the top bolts holding the shocks to the hubs. They are oval shaped and fit in two ways...allowing for 1 degree of camber.