PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Samco IC hoses?

vtluu
10-25-2004, 11:28 PM
I've no interest in getting new IC hoses in the near future but I'm curious, I keep hearing reports of people blowing their Samco (or other brand?) IC hoses... By "blowing" I mean the hose comes off the clamp, not an actual hole in the hose itself (though that can happen as well I guess).

At the rally school, Oliver (olisim) blew his once, Chris (in the WORKS shop car) twice (don't know what brand of IC hose that was though), Oliver twice on the drive home the next day, Oliver and Wilson both once at last Friday's track event. What gives? Is there some inherent problem with these hoses that the clamps give out under prolonged boost? Anyone else had problems with Samco IC hoses?

I've blown my top factory hose once--but that was my fault (didn't re-tighten a clamp enough after loosening it).

wilson1
10-25-2004, 11:31 PM
What gives? Is there some inherent problem with these hoses that the clamps give out under prolonged boost? Anyone else had problems with Samco IC hoses?

I've blown my top factory hose once--but that was my fault (didn't re-tighten a clamp enough after loosening it).

WE are full of hot air?

:lol:
Sorry!

EvoVIII
10-25-2004, 11:32 PM
I think u have to switch to another kind of Clamps then, those that cost 5or6bucks :lol:

ez76
10-26-2004, 10:04 AM
Yeah, I've heard the problem is the stock clamps, and that a good set of T-bolts is key.

Jamie@WORKS
10-26-2004, 10:41 AM
The problem is not with the hoses (WORKS is still using OEM at this point), but with the clamps. Fortunately, T-Clamps work wonders (especially if you double-clamp connections). Unfortunately, the T-Clamps are too wide to properly seat on the stock throttle body. They partially sit on the bead of the throttle body itself and prevent a secure seal.

wilson1
11-01-2004, 08:45 PM
The problem is not with the hoses (WORKS is still using OEM at this point), but with the clamps. Fortunately, T-Clamps work wonders (especially if you double-clamp connections). Unfortunately, the T-Clamps are too wide to properly seat on the stock throttle body. They partially sit on the bead of the throttle body itself and prevent a secure seal.

Jamie,

What' is the solution?

warpspeed
11-01-2004, 10:30 PM
I believe I have the solution to this problem. The IC hose that connects to the TB popped off on me twice. Once on the incline of the Bay Bridge :( . What I did was bought this rubber sealant adhesive and applied a thin layer on the outside of the TB. Don't put it on the inside of the hose. If you do, it can scrape off and go inside the TB. Then I used a 10mm socket to tighten the clamp. Don't use a screwdriver because you will never get it as tight as you would with the socket. Also you should do this at night or when ever you will not use your Evo for about 6-8 hrs so the sealant will cure. I did it before I went to bed. So far the hose hasn't popped off (crossing fingers) :) Here is the sealant that I used:

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wNjMwNzAyNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg