PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel vibration question

atgotianse
10-28-2004, 05:26 PM
Once again I am back with a tech question for all of you. 2 shops I've been too are stumped and have no clue as to what to do regarding this issue. Here it is:

I recently changed my tires to a set of Toyo T1-S 235-45-R17 wheels and mounted them on my stock enkei's. At 80mph I feel the steering wheel shake slightly and once below 80, nothing. I went back and rebalcned all 4 but did not dimount and remount them. Problem cured a bit but to no avail, the shaking comes back.

Once shop suggested that my rotors which I feel are slightly warped or have deposits on them, may be the cause. I don't think this would be it as brakes are not applied during my 80 mph sessions.

Alignement was done as well but all points are tight and not loose, suspension is also good to go. Steering is straight and handling good. I just can't get the vibration out of the wheel.

Next moves for me are to remount the tires again and see if they are seated correctly on the rim. You think this will work?

Have any of you experienced this? What was your remedy? Thanks for all your insights if any.

vtluu
10-28-2004, 05:39 PM
Could be something in the driveline... Sounds like it should be covered under warranty (and therefore looked at by a Mitsu dealer), no?

ob4
10-28-2004, 06:01 PM
Hi atgotianse,

I would say it is still most like be the tires being out of balance. This is usually the case if the vibration happens at a certain speed. If the vibration only happens during braking then it is likely that the rotors are wrapped or have some pad materials transfered to the rotors.

-Terry

atgotianse
10-28-2004, 06:08 PM
Tires were balanced, stripped and rebalanced 3 times. They were never dismounted though. The vibration is less noticeable from the 1st time it happened but still there. Didn't feel it with old Advans prior to changing tires. Drive line is ok, brakes slightly warp but will not cause vibration without load. This is why I am still abit lost.

2 possibilities were given.

1). Bad tires (out of round)
2). Bad mounting, tires not sitting well on rims.

vtluu
10-28-2004, 07:00 PM
Have you tried playing with the tire pressures (raise them higher, say 40psi)? Might make a difference if the tires aren't well-seated...

xchoirboy
10-28-2004, 08:15 PM
had the same problem when i changed my pads. found out that i did warp my rotors. might try having them resurfed. just my $.02.

atgotianse
10-30-2004, 11:10 AM
vibration gone...Followed the vibe chart from tirerack and found out tires need to be removed and remounted and then rebalanced again. Thanks for the insight guys and make sure you got to a great wheel balancer to avoid this in the future...and or make sure their machine is well calibrated. Thanks again