PDA

View Full Version : WORKS Stage II+suspension package

hagakure
10-30-2004, 07:20 PM
Well, just finished a test of my new WORKS stage II+ suspension package, which consists of their Ride springs, adjustable camber plates, and rear shock mounts. The plates and the mounts are beautiful, works of art really. Well, after a very fast and hard session on latrobe road here in sac, I am very, very, happy with the set-up. And at about 1100.00 including labor and a custom alignment by Roger Kraus racing, it was a hell of a deal. The car is lowered by one inch, and Works has put the requisite R&D into the springs to assure that the rates are compatible with the stock shock valving. The slight bouncy, floaty nature of the stock suspension is gone. After having driven or ridden in a decent amount of Evos with nice coilover set-ups, I am confident that this set up will hold up performance wise just as well at the track. Was able to get a good hard run in chasing a VERY competent woman driving a yellow F-355 F1! Beautiful car.

There is a LOT more usable tire on the road with the new camber specs. Turn-in is amazing, and the understeer is much more manageable, the car rotating much more fluidly when at the limit of adhesion. I had shitty tires on, my "winter" ES-100's, and the tires were pushed to the limit severely by this set-up. I cannot wait to run the new set-up with my RA-1's at the track. There is a little "crashiness" over bumps, due tot he rubber bushings being gone, but not at all noticeable on good roads. Body roll is virtually gone. There is nothing but composure in transitions and the car is much, much more confidence inspiring. Kudos again to Pete and Crew, and thanks to Chris for an excellent install, as well as some pointers on how to do the install myself if the occasion should arise. Good stuff!!!

Percy

hagakure
10-30-2004, 10:10 PM
Forgot to ad that the WORKS rear sway bar is part of the package as well...add another couple hundred bucks.

Percy

jbigelow
10-30-2004, 10:20 PM
COOL!!!!!!!!!! :)

JanSolo
10-30-2004, 10:26 PM
So the Ride Springs are finally out - about time. Any idea how much the Ride Springs are.. for those of us running stock suspension. :D

wilson1
10-30-2004, 10:41 PM
Wow, nice!

RT
10-31-2004, 07:18 AM
I don’t know if the Ride springs are out or not Jan. As soon as we heard about this set we tried to have them added to our WRP car to finish out the season but I guess they were already promised to Haga. We have everything except the springs so we already have lap time and road test data.

All I can say is we took time out of coil over cars with just the plates and top shock mounts; they were worth about a 1 ¼ to 1 ½ seconds of our Autox lap times. I can’t even tell you how fast we go in road testing, which we do on a weekly basis that would be admission to a crime! :wink:

As far as ride height goes we also calc’d out the same number WORKS came up with, 7/8”, as the max number to lower the car when using the stock KYBs. We weren’t going for looks; we’re more interested in the roll center of the car.

Sure would be nice to have a set of springs (JAMIE) soon………

8)

hagakure
10-31-2004, 07:50 AM
As an added benefit, the fender well gap is about perfect, in my opinion. Stance is much improved. The actual amount of lowering is an even 1 inch all around. I believe what you guys are saying about taking time out of folks with some coilover setups...this is a very, very good suspension option. Definitely needs to be running good rubber to exploit the capabilities, however.

The ride springs will be 299.00 for all four corners, which is an excellent deal. They should be out soon. Peace all.

Percy

jstockdale
11-01-2004, 01:47 AM
Damn. Can't believe you beat me to this (been running sway bars, croxx plate since Dec.) :( but I'm glad to hear they work nicely.

I'll have to talk to Pete nicely ... muhaha

-S ...

Evo442
11-01-2004, 07:06 AM
As an added benefit, the fender well gap is about perfect, in my opinion. Stance is much improved. The actual amount of lowering is an even 1 inch all around. I believe what you guys are saying about taking time out of folks with some coilover setups...this is a very, very good suspension option. Definitely needs to be running good rubber to exploit the capabilities, however.

The ride springs will be 299.00 for all four corners, which is an excellent deal. They should be out soon. Peace all.

Percy

can you post some pics?

RT
11-01-2004, 07:55 AM
Really looking forward to these springs after hearing this first report, better start a list-

1. Hagakure (got ‘em)

2. RT (need ‘em)

3. jstockdale (need ‘em)

8)

wilson1
11-01-2004, 10:08 AM
Really looking forward to these springs after hearing this first report, better start a list-

1. Hagakure (got ‘em)

2. RT (need ‘em)

3. jstockdale (need ‘em)

8)

:lol:

hagakure
11-01-2004, 10:25 AM
I'd be happy to snap some pics with my digital, but It's sucha huge hassle to post pics here....I can post some on Evo M in a few days. I would recomment to anyone that gets the springs that you go all the way and get the camber plates as well as the rear shock mounts and the Sway Bar...works together as a whole suspension package. especially if you are autocrossing or tracking the car.

Percy

RuckerPark
11-02-2004, 12:14 AM
what are the spring rates?? also, are these springs designed to match the valving of factory struts? thanks

RT
11-02-2004, 06:59 AM
Don’t have exact numbers, maybe Haga does, but about 30% stiffer in the front and 10% in the rear. 8)

nebolic
11-02-2004, 08:22 AM
wait so will these springs work with the stockers if we don't feel like blowing $2000+ on a coilover setup. how is it comparable to the coilovers? When will this be released. Do you need further alignment and camber plates? So many questions... is there a list going around for the springs...

Nebo

:)

11-02-2004, 08:50 AM
While this set-up is much improved and much less in dollars spent overall, it’s not better than coil overs. However, I’m confident that with the addition of the RIDE springs we’ll be able to run with some of the coil over cars. We use the Hotchkis hollow bar in the rear and are also able to (now) have some control of our caster adjustment up front.

In addition to the springs we also plan on adding the WORKS neoprene bushing set and replace the stock rubber bushings through out the remaining portions of the suspension. In the future we’d like to top this combo off with a set of MR shocks and struts.

Be fore warned, with pillow ball mounts front and rear you will feel every little pebble and paper clip in the road. That little lip at the end of the driveway will feel like you (screwed-up) and dropped off the curb! :wink:

11-02-2004, 09:37 AM
I'm not sure of the exact spring rates. Ask Pete or Chris at works. The exact rates were not that important to me, as I trust the R&D that WORKS did ont his package that much. Would be a good thing to know academically though:).
I would not just do the springs without the camber plates, rear bar, and mounts. It works as a package. I would also not do it if you do not plan to track the car or autocross it. I am not asserting that this set-up is as good as a high end coilover set-up due to the lack of adjustability relative to those types of set-ups, but it is very very good, responsive, and controllable. Not to mention adding the benefit of running the amount of camber that is needed to truly corner hard on the track.

Percy

RT
11-02-2004, 12:53 PM
...as a result (from griping the steering wheel so tightly while hanging on for dear life) we can longer log in properly! :lol:

earlyapex
11-02-2004, 01:01 PM
In addition to the springs we also plan on adding the WORKS neoprene bushing set...

Neoprene???

earlyapex
11-02-2004, 01:06 PM

Jamie@WORKS
11-02-2004, 01:33 PM
Percy,
Glad to hear the Ride springs are working out well for you :)

WORKS has more springs on the way and will be available in the near future. Don't worry Rick, you're at the top of the list ;) The front camber plates and rear pillow ball mounts went quickly the past couple of weeks, but more are arriving soon. We do have the USB (urethane suspension bushings) in stock now though.

The Ride springs were developed with the OEM shocks/struts in mind. They provide increased performance and a more aggressive look without a huge sacrifice in suspension travel. Well worth the investment for those not looking to go with coilovers.

11-02-2004, 02:50 PM
...couldn't spell urethane... :P , yes, the USB set. :oops:

Thanks Jamie, its at the top of our things to do list on this end. 8)

RT
11-02-2004, 03:02 PM
The springs will be the last mod we make to help out the stock KYBs, next step will be some form of Zeal set-up. But first, I think a new set of cams might be in the even nearer future.... :wink:

Jamie@WORKS
11-23-2004, 02:47 PM
Bump (http://www.worksevo.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=32_29&products_id=85)

RT
11-24-2004, 08:26 AM
Well we changed our minds, the RIDE springs sound great but we're goin' all the way with ZEALS. The suspension packages look good Jamie, congrats on the new product additions.

8)