PDA

View Full Version : Sparks plug/wires

warpspeed
11-03-2004, 11:08 AM
I was wondering if any member here have changed their spark plug and or wires lately and what mileage did you change it at? I know alot track their cars here so the intervals are shorter. I just want an average. Because those Iridiums are expensive. :(

11-06-2004, 06:16 PM
dude dun be cheap on yoru car liek me.
i did went the cheap route and my car ran hella shitty, u can ask tyler/wilson about my car problem.
finally tyler todl em to change out my cheap plug for oem one
man wat a different, it runs smmooth liek it shall be. learn my lesson 100 for 4 plugs aint bad unless u want an evo with boost cut at 35000 rpm

EvolvedDSM
11-06-2004, 08:44 PM
I use NGK BPR7ES plugs (gapped at .028") in the EVO. Jump up to an 8 if you're going to run some high boost. These cost a fraction of OEM plugs and I've used them for several years on my DSMs without a hiccup :) You will have to change them more often than what the owner's manual states (probably every 12K-30K), but at $2 a plug it's not gonna hurt your wallet ;)

EvoVIII
11-06-2004, 08:48 PM
I use NGK BPR7ES plugs (gapped at .028") in the EVO. Jump up to an 8 if you're going to run some high boost. These cost a fraction of OEM plugs and I've used them for several years on my DSMs without a hiccup :) You will have to change them more often than what the owner's manual states (probably every 12K-30K), but at $2 a plug it's not gonna hurt your wallet ;)

do u guys sell them at WORKS?

warpspeed
11-06-2004, 09:09 PM
I was planning on getting some NGK Iriduim. So which is better? Iridium or not?

EvolvedDSM
11-07-2004, 02:43 PM
http://www.webelements.com/webelements/properties/text/image-intensity/thermal-conductivity.html

Copper is the second most conductive metal (next to silver). Platinum and Iridium fall further down the chart. They do last longer, but are more expensive. So, if you don't want to change your plugs until 60K-100K, then the more expensive route may be for you. Just make sure you take them out once in a while to keep them from seizing to your head.

So, you can spend $40 every 60K running copper plugs and change them 5 times or you can spend two to three times that amount running platinum/iridium plugs, changing them only once and sacrificing conductivity for durability.

WORKS stocks OEM plugs, but can get others.

jaytan
11-07-2004, 03:31 PM
so where you guys get the some good Sparks plug and wires . cause i need to change it right now . can someone tell me what store you get it from ??

evo_dadi
11-07-2004, 03:32 PM

thats what i have on my evo right now and they are pretty cheap but i didnt gap them and install them out of the box. would it still be ok to take them out and gap them ?

warpspeed
11-07-2004, 09:03 PM

On the Evo Service Manual it says the gap should be between 1.1-1.0 mm (.039-.043). .028 gap is a big difference from what they specify. The closest one I've seen is the Denso IW22 which is .044 gap.

EvolvedDSM
11-07-2004, 11:29 PM
DO NOT gap at .039-.043! That is a misprint. If you look closer, it also states the gap at .024-.026 or something like that. The smaller gap is more reasonable, but I find that .028-.031 is just right.

You can always check/change gap at any time.

The copper NGKs can be picked up at almost any local auto store.

ace33joe
11-08-2004, 12:15 AM
The service manual says the gap is supposed to be 0.028-0.031, and the NGK website says the OE laser iridium plug is gapped at 0.032? :?

And the service manual says do not gap the iridium plugs, and replace them when the gap is wider than the spec.

What should we do if the OE plug is already gapped out of spec, and we are not supposed to gap the plugs? :?

Also, do we benefit even a little bit by making gap point to either intake or exhaust manifold? I think I heard making the gap point to exhaust manifold is better for DOHC engines? :?