PDA

View Full Version : HOW TO PAINT YOUR STOCK RIMS

WWEVOVIII
01-06-2008, 04:14 PM
hey guys i have the stock 03 wheels and they were white powder coated, so now i tried to paint them black, so what i did was i used sand paper all over the wheels then i used the duplicolor wheel paint, which is the spray paint, but unfortunately its been almost 2 days now since i put it on and now i see that the paint is falling off so any recommendations or any ideas regarding what i can do too keep them black and dont face this problem again, thanks,

AWDrift
01-06-2008, 04:21 PM
did you de-grease the wheels after you sanded before you painted? and also, did you primer the wheels before you painted them?

WWEVOVIII
01-06-2008, 04:30 PM
oh shooooot, lol, i didnt know about de-grease the wheels and also i did not prime, what kind of a primer should i get meaning what brand and from where, ? and what do u mean by de grease ? thanks

JDMevoBOOST
01-06-2008, 05:14 PM
After sanding them you need to wash the wheels with soap and water or degreaser. Then let them dry. Primer is made by Duplicolor as well, so wherever you bought the paint should have it. If you read the back of your can it should explain what primer to buy.

IlovemyevoIX
01-06-2008, 08:13 PM
hey guys i have the stock 03 wheels and they were white powder coated, so now i tried to paint them black, so what i did was i used sand paper all over the wheels then i used the duplicolor wheel paint, which is the spray paint, but unfortunately its been almost 2 days now since i put it on and now i see that the paint is falling off so any recommendations or any ideas regarding what i can do too keep them black and dont face this problem again, thanks,

when i used to work at Kwick Silver Wheel repair, these are the steps we used to paint some powercoated wheels

1.send them out to get sand blasted
2.wash the rims with soap and water, then airdry (for faster dry use a blow hose)
3.clean the rim throughly with degreaser (preferably goo-gone)
4.clean off degreaser with acetone and let dry with a heat gun
5.apply paint adhesive(helps paint stick to wheel)
6.apply paint to wheel evenly(let dry with the heat gun evenly)
7.apply clearcoat (let dry with the heat gun evenly)
8.do not touch wheel for 3-4 days (no washing, no tire shine)

this is what worked out for me when i worked their.

Chris

WWEVOVIII
01-07-2008, 01:15 AM
thanks guys, i guess i kind of know what to do lol, ill give it a try tomorrow, and hope everything works well,

overdrive
01-07-2008, 01:23 AM
when i used to work at Kwick Silver Wheel repair, these are the steps we used to paint some powercoated wheels

1.send them out to get sand blasted
2.wash the rims with soap and water, then airdry (for faster dry use a blow hose)
3.clean the rim throughly with degreaser (preferably goo-gone)
4.clean off degreaser with acetone and let dry with a heat gun
5.apply paint adhesive(helps paint stick to wheel)
6.apply paint to wheel evenly(let dry with the heat gun evenly)
7.apply clearcoat (let dry with the heat gun evenly)
8.do not touch wheel for 3-4 days (no washing, no tire shine)

this is what worked out for me when i worked their.

Chris

Chris,
Good tips you have there... Thanks!

djslik408
08-17-2008, 07:38 PM
After cleaning and sanding, I used primer sealer then used black spray duplicolor paint.