PDA

View Full Version : Falken Ziex ZE-512 Tires

Susurrus
11-10-2004, 12:26 PM
Anyone running these tires? My father in law is trying to get new tires for his Boxster S so we ordered some Yokohama ES-100s but they are on backorder . The "tire guy" wants to put these Falken ZE-512s on instead, but after doing some research people have been 50/50 on liking them, and most of the reviews I can find are for Kia's/mini-vans/626's!

Thanks for any more input.

Keith

AutoRnD
11-12-2004, 03:16 AM
Heck no dont' do that. a good tire but for that vehicle I would need to find out your objective first.

Don't cut corners on tires for that car, make sure of speed and load ratings. 512 is cheapest tire as well as ES100, this is not a good sign.

I would suggest something along the lines of the Falken ST115 at least. Let me know if you guys are willing to come down to the bay area. I can take care of your setup very quickly and for a very good price if you can pay cash. It would be great to have both of you visit our facility.

What tire sizes do you need?

Rishie

GokuSSJ4
11-12-2004, 06:10 PM
if you want tires that will perform near as the stock advans (which IMO there great tires -except for how long they last-)
BF goodrich KD's are great for a stock rim the 245/40/17 is a great choice. For after market rims like 17x8.5 255/40/17 is a must ! :mrgreen:
rated by tirerack one of the best tires out there , handleing came rated at 9.3 out of 10 . theres few tires that are not r-compound that are rating that high. an the tread wear is 200 AA

vtluu
11-12-2004, 09:43 PM
rated by tirerack one of the best tires out there , handleing came rated at 9.3 out of 10 . theres few tires that are not r-compound that are rating that high. an the tread wear is 200 AA
The TireRack "rating" is extremely subjective, and you certainly can't compare the ratings of street tires vs. racing compounds. Keep in mind also the people who rate the tires. Many of them are average Joes who own a car way beyond their ability to drive or appreciate, who think that spending $150 per tire automatically makes them real hot stuff. (Which I can understand--no-one wants to think they've just spent $$$ on total POS tires.) Pay closer attention to people who road-race and/or auto-x, they typically have a better idea of a tire's grip and handling performance.

Case and point, look at the Goodyear F1 GS-D3 (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+F1+GS-D3). Fantastic rating scores. But read the reviews carefully and notice it gets notably lower reviews from people who track/autocross. So take the reviews with a grain of salt...

AutoRnD
11-13-2004, 02:19 AM
Toyo T1S, we have great pricing on as well.

GokuSSJ4
11-13-2004, 10:05 AM
The TireRack "rating" is extremely subjective, and you certainly can't compare the ratings of street tires vs. racing compounds. Keep in mind also the people who rate the tires. Many of them are average Joes who own a car way beyond their ability to drive or appreciate, who think that spending $150 per tire automatically makes them real hot stuff. (Which I can understand--no-one wants to think they've just spent $$$ on total POS tires.) Pay closer attention to people who road-race and/or auto-x, they typically have a better idea of a tire's grip and handling performance.

Case and point, look at the Goodyear F1 GS-D3 (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+F1+GS-D3). Fantastic rating scores. But read the reviews carefully and notice it gets notably lower reviews from people who track/autocross. So take the reviews with a grain of salt...

thats the reason i said that few tires have ratings that high that are not R-compound which is the case on the KD's.
Bevo from socal has them as well and he tracks the car, and they do handle amazinly.
I have the tires as well in a bigger size then he does and the tires are amazing, i have compare them to the stock advans a046 and Toyo RA1's (driving them on the street) and KD's are as competitive as the stock advans with a bit more tread wear. Also Robi has track his car with KD's and was 1 second faster then stock advans, as well i have heard from vishnu customers that Shiv used the tires for one lap event.