PDA

View Full Version : Any way to be spammed by new vendors without the slowdown? ;)

SJCoruja
01-17-2008, 12:15 PM
LOL Seriously though, I completely understand the site doesn't pay for itself and we need paying vendors to allow us all to have this forum. That said, it appears recent changes (in particular the banner ads above and below all pages) seem to be really dragging the site down. Is there any way that can be fixed? :D

nebolic
01-17-2008, 12:23 PM
what do you mean. like the site is running slow?

nebo

esco
01-17-2008, 12:31 PM
what do you mean. like the site is running slow?

nebo

it takes a few extra seconds to load.....me move to fast since we are ninjas.

SJCoruja
01-17-2008, 12:34 PM
It for sure takes longer to load each and every page, but worse (at least for me) is I have many times a day when it hangs up at the banner ads...so I see the vendors and the 'your ad here' boxes, but it won't go any further. I have to close out the window and reload the site to be able to do anything.

DirectorSe7en
01-17-2008, 12:51 PM
Yup, it kills when I'm at work or on my phone :(

mtsevovii
01-17-2008, 01:35 PM
yeah....

DirectorSe7en
01-17-2008, 01:48 PM
YoParts has soiled my land and raped my village :(

wzcx
01-17-2008, 02:00 PM
So I guess none of you use firefox and adblock?

SJCoruja
01-17-2008, 02:07 PM

OH SNAP! I do as of just now!

But for those who don't, it'd still be great if we could fix this. :smile:

DirectorSe7en
01-17-2008, 02:08 PM
I use IE7 :oops:

steevo8
01-17-2008, 02:24 PM
It doesnt affect my mac as much as it does my pc for some reason, but it does slow down my Iphone a bit... Not that its not slow enough anyways.

overdrive
01-17-2008, 02:26 PM

Mozilla Firefox + Adblock ftw!

Mister_Pants
01-17-2008, 03:06 PM
Try out Firefox with NoScript also. It takes a while to set up all the rules (Kinda like how a software firewall "learns" what is and isn't acceptable traffic) but after that it's nice to have.

player67
01-17-2008, 04:43 PM
Well...now thats solved...I hate seeing the banners ads so can we take am down anyways :lol:

SJCoruja
01-17-2008, 04:48 PM
There is no way we will lose the banners, advertisements, and vendor blurbs on the site and we have to recognize that. In order for this site to be free for everyone, they have to recover as much of the operating costs as they can through marketing.

That said, my concern is that the newer methods of including them are degrading the functionality of the site. In all fairness to the paying vendors it's not good as, while everyone will remember the name of "vendor Y", it will be with irritation rather than curiosity of their products.

I'm only suggesting and hoping there's a simple fix that allows them the freedom to advertise without the negative side-effects. :D

chrisw
01-17-2008, 04:58 PM
I don't mind the banners too much, but is there anyway we can layout the page so that they don't take up half a page when viewing them?

player67
01-17-2008, 05:14 PM
There is no way we will lose the banners, advertisements, and vendor blurbs on the site and we have to recognize that. In order for this site to be free for everyone, they have to recover as much of the operating costs as they can through marketing.

That said, my concern is that the newer methods of including them are degrading the functionality of the site. In all fairness to the paying vendors it's not good as, while everyone will remember the name of "vendor Y", it will be with irritation rather than curiosity of their products.

I'm only suggesting and hoping there's a simple fix that allows them the freedom to advertise without the negative side-effects. :D

I was jk Matt but I highly agree with you. And Im glad you got the problem fixed with firefox

nebolic
01-17-2008, 05:36 PM
i will speak with the ones that hold the godly powers to see if we can make some changes.

nebo

jaydm73
01-17-2008, 06:04 PM

Mozilla Firefox + Adblock ftw!

+1 haha