PDA

View Full Version : STOCK BOX OR NOT?

onesicklambo
11-12-2004, 07:54 PM
hey, I am wondering about an intake.
I see all these people post about how intakes may "rob you of low end torque"..or with the GFB BOV may "STALL"(still!?) I was looking into the typhoon, becuase it showed some good dyno numbers, but havent heard many good things aobut it. would you guys just keep the stock airbox, and put maybe a k&n/hks filter in there? Or would you get a new intake. I thought once you got the recirc. BOV your stalling problems are fixed, but now may come back with an intake?? Should I keep the stock box,and maybe put a new RMR pipe on? Im not sure, i keep hearing that an intake is good, but then the stock box(w/ new filter) is better? Thanks everyone

evo_dadi
11-12-2004, 08:21 PM
im currently running the RMR pipe with the stock box and i had the aem intake also before.imo intake is better down the road when you have more mods on the car since getting an intake first gives you a couple of headaches and ive seen aftermarket inake and aftermarket bov dont really mix well not unless you ditch the maf and switch to speed denstiy instead.

SouthernCrane
11-12-2004, 08:59 PM
From everything I hear, the stock box is fine unless you are going for big HP gains.

EvoVIII
11-12-2004, 09:23 PM
why don't u think about getting a HKS RS kit and go with the HKS Kansai Carbon Box?? they don't recommand changing ur stock box is because u are just sucking all the hot air inside the Engine bay, but if u change the intake, The RS kit will make ur Stock Devert Valve create loud enough voice for u to hear, and the carbon Box will shield the Intake kit from getting Hot air therefore u are really getting Cold air into the HKS RS kit which will create a better punch on Mid to High End

BluEvo
11-12-2004, 11:15 PM
the stock box with a drop in filter is fine. it's purpose is simple. ram air taking incoming cooler air from the out side vs the inside (engine heat) where it is hotter. plus our maf is very sensitive. imo why mess with the maf, unless you are going to take it out and running a full remap.

methods4
11-13-2004, 02:12 AM
Save your money, keep the stock box, just use a drop-in filter. The stock airbox is surprisingly designed very well.

twEeker
11-13-2004, 08:51 PM
getting an intake first gives you a couple of headaches

I can vouch for that. I got the injen, w/intercooler piping, and every since it's nothing but headaches. Maybe I just need to get the car tuned, but I'm seriously thinking of either going back to stock, or getting a different intake with the stock intercooler piping. The one guy at the meet today that worked for gruppe-s said that it was putting out low numbers (205whp, but a few other people were putting out low numbers as well with more mods) and said that the stock air box is efficeint already, but then Cal said it wasn't bad. Either way, I'd keep the stock one on if I were you, or from what Jamie was saying, don't get one that comes with interooler hardpiping, it will cause bogging issues at idle, and nobody knows why.

evo_dadi
11-13-2004, 10:15 PM
why don't u think about getting a HKS RS kit and go with the HKS Kansai Carbon Box?? they don't recommand changing ur stock box is because u are just sucking all the hot air inside the Engine bay, but if u change the intake, The RS kit will make ur Stock Devert Valve create loud enough voice for u to hear, and the carbon Box will shield the Intake kit from getting Hot air therefore u are really getting Cold air into the HKS RS kit which will create a better punch on Mid to High End
i thought the hks kansai is just a replacement to the stock intake duct since it splits in the middle while the kansai is straight forward w/o a middle divider.

EvoVIII
11-13-2004, 11:15 PM
i thought the hks kansai is just a replacement to the stock intake duct since it splits in the middle while the kansai is straight forward w/o a middle divider.
hmm... how do I explain it.. the idea is same as Stock box, but instead of using Drop it filters, it uses the HKS RS kit

evo_dadi
11-13-2004, 11:25 PM
wouldnt the bottom part still be open?might as well just use the stock duct with the hks rs so there's less money to spend ;)

EvoVIII
11-13-2004, 11:28 PM
wouldnt the bottom part still be open?might as well just use the stock duct with the hks rs so there's less money to spend ;)
it covers the whole side, once I have time to put that sucker on, I will show it to u 8)

LEVIII
11-14-2004, 09:07 AM
How hard and expensive is it to switch to speed density?

MarkSAE
11-14-2004, 09:56 AM
From looking at lot of folks dyno results yesterday, it didn't seem like intakes were giving cars much more power compared to my stock intake'd car w/ similar mods. Most cars w/ the P2, and turbo-backs were making power in the 235-240whp range on Gruppe-S's dyno regardless of intake. I didn't note the shape of the curves though.

EvoVIII
11-14-2004, 12:07 PM
I guess Intake isn't a necessary mod then, But I do feel the difference between the Ralliart drop in comparing with the Stock filter so therefore I will try something new this time, oh by the way, I though that P2 doesn't come with Custom Tune, so I am assuming that if u don't Tune ur car after installing something new, is worthless and It won't make much power or maybe It will loose power with ur new mods, and most of us forgot about this point

jaytan
11-14-2004, 01:40 PM
i don't think intake will give me more hps right now . i got the p2 and the injen intake with i/c pipe . only has 212 whp and 202 wtq .wtf........ :cry:
mark , where you got the MR bov ?? it's better than the stock ??

MarkSAE
11-14-2004, 04:07 PM
Jay, I got my JDM MR BOV from Gruppe-S. It's metal and constructed better than the stock plastic one.

david buschur
12-15-2004, 10:49 AM
Just did some dyno testing with our filter vs. the stock box on a bone stock EVO. It was the first mod we did to the car. 3.4 whp increase at the peak and 7 whp through the midrange on the car.

I am going to dyno the car again, possibly this afternoon and put the stock box back on the car with the car at Stage 1. The car layed down 316 whp with our Stage 1 on it and 94 octane. I think putting the stock box back on the car is going to prove to be a fairly large restriction and show more gains than just adding a filter kit on a stock EVO.

vtluu
12-15-2004, 11:48 AM
Thanks David, it's about time someone did this kind of test. :thumbsup:

What about torque? Could you possibly post some dyno graphs?

Evo8andahalf
12-15-2004, 12:20 PM
hmm... how do I explain it.. the idea is same as Stock box, but instead of using Drop it filters, it uses the HKS RS kit

heres a pic of the box from z1 did you ever install it doug?

http://www.z1auto.com/images/inductkit3.jpg

EvoVIII
12-15-2004, 01:26 PM
yep, although is kinda hard to install :x