PDA

View Full Version : Any Avon M500 tire user's?

WOT
11-15-2004, 05:35 PM
I have read some good thngs about these tires. Anyone here have these tires on their evo yet or know anyone with them?

evo_dadi
11-15-2004, 10:24 PM
tire rack was giving me a discount coupon for those tires before but i lost them.from what they sent me before i read that theyre pretty big in europe and comes as oem tires for some high end cars also.

chrisw
11-16-2004, 09:28 AM
I might be getting a set here shortly.. You certainly can't beat the price.

WOT
11-16-2004, 10:18 AM
evo_dadi- how did you obtain the discount coupon?

I will be getting a set of tires soon, most likely the m500's unless I come up with a swinging deal elsewhere, toyo t1's probably.

evo_dadi
11-16-2004, 06:37 PM
i bought my rims and tires from them so they send me some occasional junk on regular mail and email.look around at the site for rebates since they usually do specials on tires.

chrisw
11-24-2004, 10:25 PM
Well I got a set. My old set of used advans finally gave out after 10k miles. Not bad I suppose, they were used when I got them..

anyway.
I got to check the tire out before they were mounted. The avons have a nice stiff sidewall, almost as stiff as Falkin azenis tires. They seem to have decent construction.

After I had the avon m550s mounted I went on my favorite back road.

The initial turn in is not as crisp as before, but that's expected with a tire that has more than twice the tread wear rating of the advans.
I am really impressed by the road noise compared to the advans. I have not had them at highway speeds yet ( highways in santa cruz + holiday = parking lot )

You get great feed back through the steering wheel with these tires. Just about the same as with the advans. It's a good thing too, becuase you can easily feel when the front end begins to understeer. when it does, the avons were very predictable.

These tires are certainly not performance tires. But they do seem to offer a resonable "touring" solution that is a good comprimise between your performance desires, and the demands on an all season tire.

evo_dadi
11-24-2004, 10:59 PM
thanks for the write up chris,gonna have to give it a try for my next tires.

chrisw
11-29-2004, 01:28 PM
I have to say that i am very pleased with these tires.

the best analogy I can make on these tires is this

the R-compound tires are like running shoes,
the Advans like lesser jogging shoes,
the Avons are like those causal shoes that you were on a nice date...

now i need some bad weather to see how they do in the rain/snow

evo_dadi
11-29-2004, 07:53 PM
we had rain last friday ;) you should have tried it then.