PDA

View Full Version : booooooost gauges...

thomas
01-19-2004, 05:32 PM
sup fellas,
i just bought the autometer "lunar" series boost gauge and was wondering if anybody on this board had that gauge. the pic. looked kinda weird with that neon-glowing light (for nite driving) but in the day, looks really clean. also reads to 30 psi, who knos...maybe ill get there some day.

any thoughts?

JanSolo
01-19-2004, 05:37 PM
I have an autometer, but the Phantom series instead. Where are you going install your boost guage? Did you buy a mount for it as well?

thomas
01-19-2004, 05:46 PM
yea i got the mount for it too. havent decided where to mount, prolly on the side of the steering column.

is the install hard? i called the dealer and they said the gauge doesnt come with the "T" fitting, and that it can be bought at any home depot or whatever, so i need to pick that up.

i wanna install myself, but not sure where to begin.

any advice/hint for an easier installation.

DR_EVIL
01-19-2004, 05:48 PM
just run ur vacuum line from ur fpr. thats how i set mine up on my gti wheni had it. then wire it in.

JanSolo
01-19-2004, 05:53 PM
The hard part may be deciding where to get a power source from.

Best thing to do is read the install guide over at Evomoto.com (http://www.evomoto.com/tech_info.php?techID=13).

vtluu
01-19-2004, 08:27 PM
I just got VDO Vision series turbo (boost/vaccuum) and oil temp (300F) gauges. I may have all the parts I need (new A-pillar gauge pod, after I melted my last one :oops:) by Saturday. Anyone want to help this n00b get his gauges installed?

Easiest thing for power I figure is to tap into the harness I'm using for the aftermarket stereo I have. In fact the harness has a "dimmer" wire (12V but dimmed like the instrument lights) that's not used by my stereo so it's perfect for tapping for the illumination on my gauges. As for the other +12V I figure I might as well tap that from the DIN harness too.

thomas
01-29-2004, 10:30 PM
so i got my gauge installed today, and did some driving on the way home. on E50, with WOT, my boost peaked at 20/19, almost in a way that it couldnt decide. i would hit 20 and then i would drop to 19 and a second later it would go back to 20?

is this normal? really no mods yet, juss drop in filter.

havent got the chance to redline line in each gear, so i cant tell you whether it drops to 16, but ill tell you this: from when boost kicks in, to about 5200, its peaking 19-20psi. FYI, it was still a lil' early and too many cars on the road, so thats the reason why i didnt redline. ill see this weekend when i cruise to see if it drops any when 7000 is kissed.

juss some thoughts.

ytsejam
01-30-2004, 08:54 AM
sounds like your evo has been "reflashed" from factory.

peak boost usually only holds split sec and drop to 16psi immediately.

thomas
01-30-2004, 05:14 PM
sounds like your evo has been "reflashed" from factory.

peak boost usually only holds split sec and drop to 16psi immediately.

yea its pretty weird, you should ride in my car and take a look. it literally holds @ 19-20 for awhile, longer than 3 seconds...

where does it read on your car for vacuum? i think mine drops to -10, not sure.

ytsejam
01-30-2004, 06:38 PM
then you don't need reflash foo!

chris
02-01-2004, 09:10 AM
mine holds 19 than goes down to 16.

evo_dadi
02-01-2004, 11:44 AM
the drop in causes the spike on the boost and this happened to me also when i put in the hks filter. when i ran it with my boost display it spiked from 18.4 to 19.8 so i had to tune my ebc a little bit btw 18 psi is my daily driver so i dont use up a lot of gas.

thomas
02-01-2004, 05:43 PM
cheap a$$ autometer gauges! :evil: haha.
my gauge reads 0.5-1.0 psi higher than it should, so when i read boost, i need to subtract almost 1.0 from the actual lbs. on my gauge. at idle the gauge reads approx. 1.0 psi, already. prolly a miscalibration or error from mass production of this phucked up gauge! haha, i aint mad, rather annoyed, but im fortunate to be able to add and subtract so i know what im running. :wink:

i think im more happy than mad cause i got my p2 flash today...

saw a defi boost gauge today too, gotta say, looks hella t!te.

chrisw
03-18-2004, 09:22 AM
The factory boost gauge taps off the recirc valve. The line going to the boost gauge needs a restrictor to keep the guage readings steady.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/attachment.php?s=&postid=277606

(http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22615&perpage=15&highlight=factory%20boost%20gauge%20install&pagenumber=3)

vtluu
03-18-2004, 10:55 AM
Yup, that's how I tapped it for my boost gauge, though I don't have a restrictor and the readings seem to be pretty much what I expect them to be--maybe using a tiny nylon line has a restrictive effect already? :?

Before I installed my gauges I was all worried about tapping the boost line, but that turned out to be the easiest part. Routing all the wires and tubing around was what really took time.