PDA

View Full Version : Vivid Racing tests their NEW exhaust on the EVO X

player67
01-31-2008, 04:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wvvsDUZlxU

Sounds badass 8)!!!

evo_ate_gsr
01-31-2008, 04:26 PM
Fuckin..... i hate how we have no youtube here!!!!!!!

I'm gonna tell my boss he needs to unblock that ish.

player67
01-31-2008, 04:27 PM
Read the end looks like they have a bunch of shit in store :shock:

Kings Fan
01-31-2008, 04:29 PM
310 on a mustang... not bad

Lurk
01-31-2008, 04:36 PM

With all those mods. Not too impressive. I've seen better. ;)

nebolic
01-31-2008, 04:38 PM
i think i saw a fireball during the run :)

nebo

player67
01-31-2008, 04:40 PM
i think i saw a fireball during the run :)

nebo

that u did my friend, that you did

earlyapex aka jack ass
01-31-2008, 04:41 PM

With all those mods. Not too impressive. I've seen better. ;)

Remember it's still untuned.

For reference, their 100% stock 10 did 232whp/256wtq

DirectorSe7en
01-31-2008, 05:02 PM
Damn, any updates around the world on the ECU cracking?

earlyapex aka jack ass
01-31-2008, 05:05 PM

EcuTek is done, need to find out when it will be avail in the USA. Keep in mind Ecutek has licensing fees on top of the flashing cost.

COBB is busy working on the AccessPort for the 10.

Ecuflash is being worked on as well...

DirectorSe7en
01-31-2008, 05:10 PM
So what does that mean for the Tuner? You need to pay everytime you use it? Or you pay a flat fee to be a retailer and re-flash as many customers as your business collects?

Sorry, This aspect of business is new to me :?

Unowned
01-31-2008, 05:20 PM

EcuTek is done, need to find out when it will be avail in the USA. Keep in mind Ecutek has licensing fees on top of the flashing cost.

If it's anything like last time, they will lockout everyone from the Ecu as well plus license fees are ludacris... I'll wait for EcuFlash :)

earlyapex aka jack ass
01-31-2008, 05:26 PM
So what does that mean for the Tuner? You need to pay everytime you use it? Or you pay a flat fee to be a retailer and re-flash as many customers as your business collects?

Sorry, This aspect of business is new to me :?

The customer pays a one-time license fee. Then they pay for the tune. Subsequent tunes are charged as well but you only pay the licensing fee once.

The tuner has to pay a yearly fee I believe and purchase the software package.

DirectorSe7en
01-31-2008, 05:28 PM
:? Hmm, what's the typical price of a Licensing Fee? Is it rediculous?

PANGES
01-31-2008, 06:20 PM
:? Hmm, what's the typical price of a Licensing Fee? Is it rediculous?

When I had my car tuned w/ ecutek when i first got my evo, I paid like $600 for the licensing fee for the ecutek and like $500 for the tune. You guys should be grateful how little you guys have to pay for Speed Element or GST to tune your cars.

JERRY
01-31-2008, 06:25 PM
I may be wrong here, but I noticed in the pictures towards the end, the exhaust was lop-sided. It looked like th driver's side was at more of an angle and lower then the passenger side. Am I an idiot that needs new glasses? Power-wise, it seems promising, especially since the car is not tuned yet.

Jerry

DirectorSe7en
01-31-2008, 06:32 PM
When I had my car tuned w/ ecutek when i first got my evo, I paid like $600 for the licensing fee for the ecutek and like $500 for the tune. You guys should be grateful how little you guys have to pay for Speed Element or GST to tune your cars.
Holy shit! Fuck that, haha. I'll wait.....

nebolic
01-31-2008, 06:33 PM
any feedback on Vivid and their products? PM if you don't wish to post publicly.

thanks,
nebo

UCB
01-31-2008, 06:35 PM
gangsta

PANGES
01-31-2008, 06:40 PM
Holy shit! Fuck that, haha. I'll wait.....

Yeah... well back then, it was either Vishnu or WORKS. lol. That's all the tuners that were around at the time.

"soo... would you rather be raped by a horse or a bull?" They both suck, but u gotta choose one.

BTW: I can't watch the vid at work, but it is a turbo back exhaust or a catback?

DirectorSe7en
01-31-2008, 06:43 PM
^Catback I believe.

Yeah... well back then, it was either Vishnu or WORKS. lol. That's all the tuners that were around at the time.

"soo... would you rather be raped by a horse or a bull?" They both suck, but u gotta choose one.
Yea, I guess when it's put like that, lol.

It better be worth $600 if they charge that, and I better get free gas and some Dinner.

earlyapex aka jack ass
01-31-2008, 06:44 PM
any feedback on Vivid and their products? PM if you don't wish to post publicly.

thanks,
nebo

Cobb is working on an exhaust too. Looks better so far in my opinion. Digging the twin tips:

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=322280

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d32/iwannaratrod/Quad.jpg

chefnevo
01-31-2008, 06:45 PM
Vivid lacks in customer service!

DirectorSe7en
01-31-2008, 06:46 PM
You voted for that huh, lol.

Question, is there any pressure difference between the Twin 4" Exhaust and the Quad?

Also, what about sound difference?

ddubdb3
01-31-2008, 06:49 PM
310hp untuned?! that motor is gonna be mod hungry

nebolic
01-31-2008, 06:51 PM

thanks,
nebo

Cobb is working on an exhaust too. Looks better so far in my opinion. Digging the twin tips:

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=322280

that does look pretty bad ass. would be dope if they can shape the tips a bit... kinda like the IS-F.

nebo

evo_ate_gsr
01-31-2008, 07:02 PM
the twin tips from cobb look sick. i like that a lot.

also... any one notice how fast the X seems to rev, when they were revving it on the lift in the video? sounds nice tho. pretty loud, and good amount of spool was heard in the video when it was strapped to the dyno as well.

so far, so good. definately a mod hungry motor.

JERRY
01-31-2008, 08:14 PM
The twin tips seem unfinished for some reason. I've dealt with Vivid in the past Nebo, what would you like to know about them? Give me a call if you need something specific, I can tell you plenty of other places I'd recommend you buy your parts from though...

Jerry

DirectorSe7en
01-31-2008, 09:02 PM
I was told on EvoM that they were bad to business with and got booted from NASOIC.

willitas34
01-31-2008, 10:26 PM
These X's are going to make really good power I think :shock:

EuGeNiLe
02-01-2008, 12:36 AM
Not bad 310. Just curious what the limit is with that stock turbo, because it's not as convenient to change like the 4g63s of old and new.

dabaysevo
02-01-2008, 12:45 AM

Holy crap that car is from the future, look at the paper plates. :lol:

PANGES
02-01-2008, 03:29 AM
Not bad 310. Just curious what the limit is with that stock turbo, because it's not as convenient to change like the 4g63s of old and new.

I'm more curious to see what the limit of the stock block is. lol.

DoggDicker
02-01-2008, 03:32 AM
That exhaust looks good...and so does the white kaa...

DD

willitas34
02-01-2008, 10:06 AM
I am with Panges on this one...i would like to see at what HP level the stock aluminum block can handle. But since I seen the vid, I think I like this exhaust better than any others I have seen, and the Cobb one is awesome too!

Aluminum block ftl in my eyes

AWDrift
02-01-2008, 10:50 AM

i thought the same thing when i seen that lol

crctslt
02-01-2008, 10:59 AM
I am with Panges on this one...i would like to see at what HP level the stock aluminum block can handle. But since I seen the vid, I think I like this exhaust better than any others I have seen, and the Cobb one is awesome too!

Nissan's SR20 is an aluminum block and seems to work well.

DirectorSe7en
02-01-2008, 11:24 AM
It sounds pretty damn good, although I think I'll wait for AMS's exhaust.

<------Fanboy 8)

JDMgrafiteMR
02-01-2008, 11:48 AM

really?sr20 are known for having problems in the long run under heavy stress. as well as the ka...

Fa-Q
02-01-2008, 11:49 AM
So, let me get this straight. The car went from ~220whp to 310whp with just a CB and NO tune. Am i missing something? Are there other mods?

JDMgrafiteMR
02-01-2008, 11:50 AM
i like the cobb exhaust better

JERRY
02-01-2008, 12:05 PM
It's hard to say which I'd rather choose at this point. Both systems seem great, but there's going to be so much more coming out later. I hate to limit myself to these two since I'm not very fond of them to begin with, I'd rather just keep my stock one for now.

Jerry

leaveit2bevo
02-01-2008, 02:34 PM
So, let me get this straight. The car went from ~220whp to 310whp with just a CB and NO tune. Am i missing something? Are there other mods?

I think the end of the video has the mod list its more than just a cb.

earlyapex aka jack ass
02-01-2008, 02:51 PM

i thought the same thing when i seen that lol

That is the expiration date for the dealer tags. :)

dabaysevo
02-01-2008, 02:57 PM
^It's okay you don't have to cover, we know it is a conspiracy theory to hide the fact the X is actually a time machine.

redvolution
02-01-2008, 02:57 PM
The tracksluts will be waiting for the single-sided (lighter) exhaust conversion like the S2k.

PANGES
02-01-2008, 03:37 PM

really?sr20 are known for having problems in the long run under heavy stress. as well as the ka...

^ Agreed. Actually, most of the faster SR20's I've seen have built bottom ends. You can push the stock bottom end to certain power levels, but it usually doesn't last too long. RB's on the other hand can last quite a long time under higher power levels since it had a cast iron block.

EFIxMR
02-01-2008, 03:42 PM
The SR20's tend to be pretty beat down IMHO. My friend who sold jdm engines, stopped carrying SR20's because most were in bad condition by time they got here to the states. Keep in mind these motors were stock and still had problems (spun bearings, bad rings, ect.)

JERRY
02-01-2008, 04:27 PM
I foresee the 4B11 to be much like the K series block. Sleeving is neccessary to make big power, but once the block is sleeved, there will be absolutely no problems with making power. It's just a matter of finding someone (machine shop) that does a good job with the sleeves, like the one we use.. hahaha

Jerry

nebolic
02-01-2008, 04:28 PM
www.vividracing.com/forums

more discussions.

nebo

DirectorSe7en
02-01-2008, 05:11 PM
Que?

.......Sleeving?

PANGES
02-01-2008, 05:13 PM
^it's used to reinforce the cylinder walls.

MarkSAE
02-01-2008, 05:15 PM
Anyone know if the 4B11 already has sleeves installed from the factory?

DirectorSe7en
02-01-2008, 05:16 PM
Ahh.......Thanks.

<----teh n00b

PANGES Explanation = Sex on the Beach ;)

PANGES
02-01-2008, 05:42 PM
Ahh.......Thanks.

<----teh n00b

PANGES Explanation = Sex on the Beach ;)

Yay! Finally! Victory!! :lol:

:wave: :wave::wave::wave:

DirectorSe7en
02-01-2008, 05:48 PM
LMAO! :lol:

;)

willitas34
02-01-2008, 05:57 PM

^ Agreed. Actually, most of the faster SR20's I've seen have built bottom ends. You can push the stock bottom end to certain power levels, but it usually doesn't last too long. RB's on the other hand can last quite a long time under higher power levels since it had a cast iron block.

Cast Iron FTW :cool:

EFIxMR
02-01-2008, 07:00 PM
sleeving opens up a whole potential of problems. Lots of possibility for human error. I predict there will be many sunk sleeves before the process is perfect.

Ben
02-01-2008, 07:09 PM

Really? A lot of guys used to turbo their SE-R's at 140k miles and were boosting daily drivers 'til around 200k miles. Maybe it's just the RWD guys then?

Ben
02-01-2008, 07:10 PM

also... any one notice how fast the X seems to rev, when they were revving it on the lift in the video? sounds nice tho. pretty loud, and good amount of spool was heard in the video when it was strapped to the dyno as well.

What gear was it dyno'd in? I can't watch the vid I'm at work.

willitas34
02-02-2008, 02:24 AM

I think Mustang dyno's they dyno in 3rd gear...?

Ben
02-02-2008, 02:37 AM

Well you can dyno in any gear. That's why I'm asking what gear. I remember at MOD '07 I think they were dynoing cars in 1st or 2nd gear with their Dynapak.

willitas34
02-02-2008, 11:14 AM

Well you can dyno in any gear. That's why I'm asking what gear. I remember at MOD '07 I think they were dynoing cars in 1st or 2nd gear with their Dynapak.

This is information that Andy@SE gave me, so i dun no :P

Ben
02-02-2008, 01:48 PM

This is information that Andy@SE gave me, so i dun no :P

Lol well can anyone educate me on what gears you use on a dyno? I'm pretty sure there's no way that you can be limited to what gear you dyno in right?

earlyapex aka jack ass
02-02-2008, 05:48 PM
I dyno all Evo's in 3rd gear. For track cars I also usually check 4th gear as well.

You have to sync the rollers to whatever gear you are going to dyno in. 4th gear on our dyno takes awhile and the car gets heat soaked really fast.

I've stuck to 3rd gear because it gives me enough samples without putting added unnecessary strain on everything like 4th gear on our dyno tends to do. I also stay with 3rd so all our overlays can sync up as well.

EFIxMR
02-02-2008, 05:53 PM

Didn't they blow up a couple cars that day?

On dynos that have adjustable load you ideally want to run it in the closest gear that is 1:1 with the engine.

On the Mustang because they have a preset load profile EVO's are tuned in 3rd. Otherwise 4th gear will put too much strain on the car heatsoaking it, like Bryan said.

Ben
02-02-2008, 05:58 PM

Didn't they blow up a couple cars that day?

On dynos that have adjustable load you ideally want to run it in the closest gear that is 1:1 with the engine.

On the Mustang because they have a preset load profile EVO's are tuned in 3rd. Otherwise 4th gear will put too much strain on the car heatsoaking it, like Bryan said.

Yeah I believe I heard that the same day too. Well that's some good info, guys! Let's say you dyno in a lower gear would that give higher numbers or what?

EFIxMR
02-02-2008, 06:28 PM
not necessarily, hard to say either way. every tuner has their own way of setting up the machine.

Ben
02-02-2008, 06:34 PM
not necessarily, hard to say either way. every tuner has their own way of setting up the machine.

I'm totally taking this thread off topic but how the hell do you guys learn how to set up your own dynos in the first place? Trial and error? Take a class? Vendor training? Learn from another tuner?

DirectorSe7en
02-02-2008, 06:37 PM
Learn from another tuner?
But who did they learn from?

Ben
02-02-2008, 06:43 PM
Learn from another tuner?
But who did they learn from?

Jesus?

EFIxMR
02-02-2008, 06:47 PM
Well when we first bought our dyno, the technician trained me on how to run the machine for 2 days.Â*

But as you tune more cars you develop your own techniques for doing the type of cars you do (in my case EVO's), and know the subject better than the technician because you see the same type of cars everyday.

Things that I picked up on my own...

1. marking the wheelbase of the dyno for EVO's, so the wheel base is identical for every test.

2. marking the centerpoint of the dyno for an EVO, so again the strap place equal holding resistence to the car.

3. checking strap tension on every car, so they are close as they can be for every test.

4. using a digital pickup for the tachometer on EVOs, instead of roller speed so there is less chance of human error.

Basically, it all comes down to experience.Â* I'm coming close to my 200th custom EVO tune, and everytime I run a car, I try to make the process more efficient.

I personally have close to 100 hours experience using Mustang Dyno's, over 100 hours using Dynapack, near 50 hours on Dynojets, and countless hours on my own dyno.

DoggDicker
02-02-2008, 07:00 PM
^That's why Andy rocks...consistency...

player67
02-02-2008, 07:21 PM
^That's why Andy rocks...consistency...

+1

earlyapex aka jack ass
02-02-2008, 07:46 PM
I just put in what numbers I want to see and the dyno spits out a pretty sheet for me. :)

Then I just make a bunch of noise for the hell of it...

dabaysevo
02-02-2008, 07:49 PM
^I thought you just used crayons?

Ben
02-02-2008, 07:50 PM
I just put in what numbers I want to see and the dyno spits out a pretty sheet for me. :)

Lolz thanks for the idea...I'll make millions! Call me Dynosplash.

earlyapex aka jack ass
02-02-2008, 07:51 PM

Remember I upgraded to the BIC pen charts? ;)

Ben
02-02-2008, 07:51 PM
Well when we first bought our dyno, the technician trained me on how to run the machine for 2 days.

But as you tune more cars you develop your own techniques for doing the type of cars you do (in my case EVO's), and know the subject better than the technician because you see the same type of cars everyday.

1. marking the wheelbase of the dyno for EVO's, so the wheel base is identical for every test.

2. marking the centerpoint of the dyno for an EVO, so again the strap place equal holding resistence to the car.

3. checking strap tension on every car, so they are close as they can be for every test.

4. using a digital pickup for the tachometer on EVOs, instead of roller speed so there is less chance of human error.

Basically, it all comes down to experience. I'm coming close to my 200th custom EVO tune, and everytime I run a car, I try to make the process more efficient.

I personally have close to 100 hours experience using Mustang Dyno's, over 100 hours using Dynapack, near 50 hours on Dynojets, and countless hours on my own dyno.

Being a tuner sounds kind of intense.

Ben
02-02-2008, 07:52 PM

Can't forget the glossy paper.

dabaysevo
02-02-2008, 07:53 PM

F'ing baller! ;)

whtrice
02-02-2008, 07:54 PM
Yea Mike plays the Suby soundtrack and Bryan plays the EVO soundtracks. I know Mike secretly listens to EVO 300 whpÂ* soundtracks in the bathroom though.

earlyapex aka jack ass
02-02-2008, 07:55 PM
That's because Andy has the crazy Australian dyno with the table leaflet in it. ;)

dabaysevo
02-02-2008, 07:55 PM
Well when we first bought our dyno, the technician trained me on how to run the machine for 2 days.

Basically, it all comes down to experience. I'm coming close to my 200th custom EVO tune, and everytime I run a car, I try to make the process more efficient.

Being a tuner sounds kind of intense.

I heard it's more dangerous than a road side construction worker's job. Something about 15 thousand tuners die every year while drawing their own dyno chart and getting a bad enough cramp that their hearts just stop working. :D

DirectorSe7en
02-02-2008, 07:57 PM
OMG. I've heard that too :shock:

R.I.P. Tuners :(

Ben
02-02-2008, 08:11 PM
*Tips 40oz over for the homies*

EFIxMR
02-02-2008, 08:23 PM
I've had to go the hospital before for tuning at Gruppe-s in my own car.

The bill was $1500.Even though Mike gave me a great dyno rate, that ended up being an expensive DIY toon.

Ben
02-02-2008, 08:25 PM
I've had to go the hospital before for tuning at Gruppe-s in my own car.

The bill was $1500.Even though Mike gave me a great dyno rate, that ended up being an expensive DIY toon.

Details? Probably taught you a good lesson though?

EFIxMR
02-02-2008, 08:58 PM
Co poisoning. Carbon monoxide has 210 percent affinity for hemoglobin compared to oxygen. Symptoms include vomiting, nausea, headache, shortness of breath, weakness, ect.

The treatment is breathing pure oxygen until the CO unbinds.

Unfortunately, I didn't learn much since I ended up doing it for a full time job.

The strange part is I actually still looked forward to tuning cars after that day.

DirectorSe7en
02-02-2008, 09:01 PM
Andy in Hospital;

"No, let me go! The cars...need me"

{stumbles out of bed, tearing off wires} *runs amock in hospital*

Unowned
02-02-2008, 09:11 PM
you just need a good exhaust exit method, which when using your giant fan blows all my Evo X fuel all over the Speed Element front door :D

willitas34
02-02-2008, 11:29 PM

:lol:

Ben
02-02-2008, 11:38 PM
Co poisoning. Carbon monoxide has 210 percent affinity for hemoglobin compared to oxygen. Symptoms include vomiting, nausea, headache, shortness of breath, weakness, ect.

The treatment is breathing pure oxygen until the CO unbinds.

Unfortunately, I didn't learn much since I ended up doing it for a full time job.

The strange part is I actually still looked forward to tuning cars after that day.

Well I seen you wearing that gas mask so it seems like you learned a good lesson. That's some crazy shit.

Ben
02-02-2008, 11:41 PM
you just need a good exhaust exit method, which when using your giant fan blows all my Evo X fuel all over the Speed Element front door :D

+1 man that's some bad shit. When my car was being tuned at GST I went all the way across the parking lot to sit against the opposite building and the smell still got to me so I went to go sit by the street instead.

DoggDicker
02-02-2008, 11:45 PM

+1 man that's some bad shit. When my car was being tuned at GST I went all the way across the parking lot to sit against the opposite building and the smell still got to me so I went to go sit by the street instead.

I like smelling the 100 and 110 fumes...
Andy's mask is JDM...

DD

Ben
02-03-2008, 12:16 AM

I like smelling the 100 and 110 fumes...
Andy's mask is JDM...

DD

How JDM is it? Does it smell like Japanese school girl panties?

dabaysevo
02-04-2008, 11:35 AM

Good question, but what panty smell?Â* The straight off the girl smell or the just wiped the aftermath of the Bukkake off her face smell? :D
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/68/Bukkake.svg/180px-Bukkake.svg.png

bdking57
02-04-2008, 11:39 AM
If its 310whp on a mustang untuned...then it sounds like 350whp on a dynojet is not out of the question.

Ben
02-04-2008, 11:46 AM

Good question, but what panty smell? The straight off the girl smell or the just wiped the aftermath of the Bukkake off her face smell? :D
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/68/Bukkake.svg/180px-Bukkake.svg.png

I'll take the straight off the Japanese schoolgirl please!

evo_ate_gsr
02-04-2008, 11:47 AM
^ +1

Ben
02-04-2008, 11:48 AM
If its 310whp on a mustang untuned...then it sounds like 350whp on a dynojet is not out of the question.

I'm really wondering if there's any kind of trickery going on or if I read the thread wrong. So untuned and bolting on an exhaust the Evo X made 310 awhp? Isn't there a Vishnu tuned Evo X in another thread making less power? Am I missing something? Does that shop have a higher reading dyno or something?

http://www.norcalevo.net/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=2&topic=26389.0

EDIT: Oh that one was all stock.