PDA

View Full Version : Shop recommendations for clutch install?

vtluu
11-22-2004, 03:12 AM
As much I love to DIY, I've just about given up on the idea of installing a new clutch myself (unless I can find a few friends and a lift to have a "clutch party" this coming weekend ;)).

Any recommendations for a shop that does a cheap and reasonably competent clutch install?

jstockdale
11-22-2004, 06:52 AM
WORKS?

No?

hm ... *thinking* ... oh! I know:

WORKS?

-S"apparently not actually that helpful of a person"tockdale... :)

chrisw
11-22-2004, 08:45 AM
Gruppe-s and GBMotorsports come to mind if you don't want to go all the way to SF

vtluu
11-22-2004, 05:15 PM
And the winner is... WORKS! :thumbsup:

Whooopasss
11-22-2004, 05:35 PM
How much is the labor going to be?

wilson1
11-22-2004, 05:43 PM
which clutch are you getting?

vtluu
11-22-2004, 05:43 PM
I won't discuss numbers, but they made a competitive offer and one well worth the added peace of mind I'll get knowing that my Evo is in the hands of the #1 Evo experts in the area. :)

Bought a WORKS CK2, unpainted ("OEM" look ;)).

rodw
11-22-2004, 05:45 PM
What's wrong w/ the stock clutch? worn? upgrade?

vtluu
11-22-2004, 05:50 PM
What's wrong w/ the stock clutch? worn? upgrade?
http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2607

Yeah, it's pretty clear that it's the clutch that's slipping. It's been getting worse too. Now whenever I've been just cruising along for a few minutes, and I floor it the engine will quickly rev up to about 4000-4500 rpm without any noticeable acceleration, until the clutch heats up a bit and starts gripping.

I chose the CK2 because I wanted a clutch that was still fairly easy to drive on the street but that would stand up to the occasional launch and vigorous auto-x and track use. Given that installation costs a fair chunk of change, I figured it was better to pick a clutch that would last a bit longer.

rodw
11-22-2004, 05:58 PM
How many miles you got on your evo?

vtluu
11-22-2004, 06:00 PM
Just over 20k miles now, bought in September '03.

About 30 autocrosses, 1 rallycross, 1 track day. And me learning to drive stick. :lol:

jstockdale
11-22-2004, 06:49 PM
Mmmm ... you're going to like the CK2 Tam :)

-S ...

JanSolo
11-22-2004, 09:25 PM
Chris@WORKS is like a surgeon when it comes to working on the Evo. I watched him install cams, springs, retainers and ARP head studs and I had never seen someone so precise and anal about their work. It was a sharp contrast to Tyler who's main tools are a hammer and crowbar.

MarkSAE
11-22-2004, 10:53 PM
Are you getting a lightweight flywheel too?

vtluu
11-22-2004, 11:08 PM
No, I'm gonna stick with the stock flywheel for now. Next time I change the clutch (you can see I'm planning ahead ;)) I might put a lightened flywheel in...

wilson1
11-22-2004, 11:23 PM
what is the advantage of a lightened flywheel?

MarkSAE
11-23-2004, 01:57 AM

Freeing rotating weight. According to RRE, our stock flywheels weigh 14lbs. The aluminum flywheels weigh around 9lbs.

Absinthe
11-23-2004, 09:56 AM

More specifically it will allow the engine to rev more freely.

evoredy
11-23-2004, 01:30 PM
what are the disadvantages (if any) of having a lightened flywheel?

MarkSAE
11-23-2004, 03:23 PM
From RRE's website:
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/evo/nonameclutch.htm

Light Flywheels

Ask the Peanut Gallery on your local message board about using a lightweight flywheel and some ex-honda boy will chime in that you will loose horsepower or torque with a light flywheel. WTF? Wrong. While you will need to slightly adjust your launch technique with a lighter flywheel, you will not loose torque or horsepower. A flywheel simply stores energy. The mass of spinning steel just makes it a little easier for your mom to get the car moving with out stalling the motor. The stock EVO flywheel is already fairly light at 14.4 lbs. We offer the 9.6 lb Fidanza aluminum flywheel and also our own No Name 10.6 lb steel flywheel. Get one at the same time as the clutch and we give a $50 discount. It's all good. With less horsepower used to get the flywheel spinning, that leaves more horsepower available to get the car moving down the road. Since our cars have plenty of power to spare, you don't need the stored energy of a heavy flywheel to get your EVO moving.

There isn't enough material to safely lighten a stock flywheel. If you have something against light flywheels, we also keep new stock flywheels in stock. They are $200.

11-23-2004, 03:26 PM
light flywheel really help alot, on my old 1988 300zx n/a, with the flywheel and act clutch it grab like a mofo and rev hella better than heavy ass stock flywheel. but the after market pulley is the one that broek my cams shaft. is there good thing from pulleys for evo?

EvolvedDSM
11-27-2004, 10:43 AM
what are the disadvantages (if any) of having a lightened flywheel?

The only disadvantage I've encountered was the fact that RPMs drop even quicker. It works out great when downshifting (less heel-toe effort), but if you rev the engine and just let the RPMs fall, the ECU can't always catch itself and the engine may die. That being said, the pluses more than outweigh this minor glitch and I look forward to getting an aluminum flywheel in the EVO sometime in the future.

vtluu
11-29-2004, 02:21 AM
New clutch goes in tomorrow... I'm excited. :)
I "celebrated" tonight by launching the car at almost every opportunity. :skid: After all, any clutch material left over when they take out the old clutch is just wasted, right? ;)

RonV
11-29-2004, 08:21 AM
Who did you get to do the install?

wilson1
11-29-2004, 09:48 AM
Tam went with Works.

vtluu
11-30-2004, 07:39 PM
Just got the car back. The CK2 feels great, pedal stiffness is the same as stock, engagement feels strong and precise. It's amazing how much the stock clutch had been slipping even before the 4-5 launches I did just before bringing it to WORKS. (Jamie said the clutch was slipping so badly he barely managed to roll the car into the shop. :lol:)

Major props to WORKS for their great clutch kit and installation! :thumbsup:

BTW Wilson, while I was waiting they let me do donuts, launches and jumps in your car. Hope you don't mind. ;)