PDA

View Full Version : Brakes Squeaking

D1izzle
11-25-2004, 02:31 AM
Hi ya'll

I've did a search and can't find what I was looking for.

I have had my 05 EVO for 3-4 weeks now, and about 2-3 weeks ago, i notice the brakes squeakinga bit when i'm coming to a slow stop. I figured it was nothing much, casue brakes are new, and it's just breaking in. However, it's getting to a point where it's really loud and it does not seem to go away.

I've tried to brake hard a couple of times to see if it will go away (when braking hard it does not squeak) but after thae hard brake I tried anotehr soft brake and it's still not gone.

It's the right front brakes, it sounds like metal to metal...anyone got any suggestions? or comments?

the reason i'm asking and not bring it to the dealer is cause I just don't have the time at this moment.

Thanks in an advance.

vtluu
11-25-2004, 02:39 AM
This can happen if you have something like a grain of sand stuck in the pad; one trick I've heard to dislodge something like that is to do a bit of braking while rolling in reverse.

My brakes are squeaking a bit too but it's probably something to do with the new Ferodo pads I installed last week. Only squeaks when I'm braking gently and just as I'm about to come to a stop. Since the brakes seem to be perfectly okay (better than ever even) I'm going to deal with it by ignoring it. :)

YinYang
11-27-2004, 07:46 PM
i notice the brakes squeakinga bit when i'm coming to a slow stop.
I've tried to brake hard a couple of times to see if it will go away (when braking hard it does not squeak) but after thae hard brake I tried anotehr soft brake and it's still not gone.

I have the same exact thing happening with my '04. I'm gonna try hard breaking in reverse and see if it works.

garrick70
11-27-2004, 07:47 PM
Mine squeek from time to time. I think it is fairly normal.

lqdchkn
12-05-2004, 03:10 PM
My '05 does the same thing. It's really bad at light peddal pressure, almost harmonic. I took it to the dealer at about 600 miles, of course it was a rainy day so they were not able to duplicate the problem. The dealer said they'll look at it even though they, "normally don't take EVO's with less than 1000 miles". After they test drove it he said the rear sway bar was squeaking so they lubed it and he was "pretty sure that was the problem".

Dumb @$$ I've been a mechanic in the Army for six years I know a brake sqeak when I hear one. I've yet to go back. 600 miles later it's still there. :evil:

MarkSAE
12-05-2004, 05:49 PM
I think the majority of us EVO owners have experienced the same type of squeeking that you just described. I used to get that when my car was newer. But now, I either don't notice it any more or it went away. I have 12k miles on my car.

twEeker
12-05-2004, 09:31 PM
Mine used to do it every once in a while, especially in reverse. I havn't heard them squeek for a few weeks now. I've got around 5400 on the car. Give it a few months and it will go away.